Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to cure infection  (Read 7378 times)

TanSerrai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to cure infection
« on: March 03, 2011, 07:46:04 am »

Hi!

I have a 50 year old fort with a legendary armorsmith (my last one - I lost a few smiths during the years). He is currently infected and will die soon (did abort when this happened). I have taken practically everything in stride but for sentimental reasons I do not want to lose my smith to an infection.

Thus: Is there a tool that I can use to hack DF 31.18 to 'erase' the infection? And if yes, which one and how do I do this (am a complete noob in regards to editing/hacking).

I did look into Runesmith but the last version is for 31.16 (and if started 'does not find appropriate process').

Any ideas? My thanks!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How to cure infection
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 09:51:44 am »

How long do you have?  Sometimes if re-injured, the doctor will clean him in the same area.  You can try 2 Z drops, to injure him a bit and hope for a cleaning.  Or open a wild crundle cage or something.  Dorfbaths also help - channels with 3/7 water that forces cleaning.

TanSerrai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 10:45:56 am »

How long: My docs are working on the wounded smith...he has received 5 sutures, 6 settings and 2 dressings during the past months. He is still missing 4 dressings and 5 immobilizations (and I do not even know what wounded him. I suspect a falling rock)...I assume that treating him simply takes too long....this is why I would like to hack DF to either remove wounds or (better) infections.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 12:24:25 pm »

you can edit the tisse raws to make him heal at super speed add
Code: [Select]
[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:ALL]
[TL_HEALING_RATE:1]
and take the brackets of
Code: [Select]
[GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]
[GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT]
he shoud heal his wounds in a day or two.

remmber to change the raw in the save not data.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

TanSerrai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 05:45:16 am »

Funk:
Thanks for your help....but as I am completely new to mooding/hacking I still have some questions:
1) In my savefolder (region1/raw/objects) I can find the tissue_template_default.txt  I assume I have to add the following, correct?

and if yes, where do I add it? At the very beginning of the txtfile?

2) what exactly do I do with this:
[GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]

do I add it to the tissue_template_default.txt and if yes where? And what do you mean be 'tak brackets off? Does that mean all 4 brackets in the 2 lines need to be deleted?

3) Do I understand correctly that this affects all tissues of all living entities in my save? And if yes, then I should return to the original stance once the dwarf is healed, correct?

Thanks for the help!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 05:48:56 am »

In my savefolder (region1/raw/objects) I can find the tissue_template_default.txt  I assume I have to add the following, correct?

You should be editing the DWARF entry in creature_standard.txt (it's right at the top of the file). Put the HEALING_RATE-related lines somewhere near the bottom (it doesn't matter where so long as they're past everything else affecting tissues).

As for the infection/rot lines, you should find those within the DWARF entry and get rid of the brackets around them. That way you can just put them back if/when you want to revert the changes.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 05:52:50 am by 3 »

TanSerrai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 06:26:39 am »

Thanks for the aid! - but so far I have been unsuccsessful. Either I am missing something or I am doing something wrong. Thus I'd like to detail my status and see if there is any further help availiable - or if its just a lost cause:

DF 31.18 (unmodded)

I have one dwarf in the hospital who will die of infection soon (which I want to prevent). I have savegames shortly before his death and 2 weeks before his death.

His status in the 'v-z-h' health screen:

status: pale, ability to grasp somewhat impaired (note: no infection is listed)
wounds: 4 bones smashed open, all have been sutured
treatment: needs 4 dressings and 5 immobilizations
history: evaluated, cleaned, comp fracture repaired, evaluated, cleaned, 5 sutures, 6 bones set, 2 dressings received.

for 2-4 weeks nothing else has happened. I have 2 doctors with all healthjobs enabled (and no other jobs) at least on doctor is idling 'no job'. My hospital (which has treated many patients successfully) has thread and cloth stored within its zone (in bins and coffers)

to hack the dwarfs health I did:
- within the savefolder (I am sure I did use the correct one) I opened the creature_standard.txt, found the 'dwarf' entry (at the top) and did add this right before the 'human' entry starts:

plus within the dwarf entry I did remove the brackets from:
[GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]

I did this twice (to a clean unmodded savefolder), once he took three days to die, once 2 weeks. So no success so far.

(question: does the horizontal position (tabs) of the lines relative to those above or below matter or is this just a matter of easier readability?)

Is there anything else I can do or do differently? Should I edit anything relating to bones?

-------------

Still trying to get this to work - and failing. Does anyone have an idea how to 'heal' my dwarf?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:12:23 am by TanSerrai »

TanSerrai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 10:59:39 am »

Sorry to bump this - but I still harbour some hope that I will be able to safe this dwarf. By now I am more interested to learn _how_ to do it than in the healing itself...so I will continue anyway but would like to learn.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 01:18:43 pm »

I have heard that if you remove a part from the raws, load your fort but dont unpause it, Save, then replace those tissues, it removes all wounds from the creatures with them.

Now do realize I have never actually done this I have only HEARD this so I do not know if it works or not, but if you really want to tinker, !!!--->BACK UP<---!!! your save game and give it a shot.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 01:26:26 pm »

(question: does the horizontal position (tabs) of the lines relative to those above or below matter or is this just a matter of easier readability?)
Just readability.

To make absolutely sure that you're using the right save folder, go to the bottom of the dwarf entry and add [SPEED:0]. If you don't notice a difference upon reloading the save with the living-but-infected armoursmith, you're editing the wrong file.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 01:31:38 pm »

The infection isn't listed on the wounds screen, but everything else is?
He doesn't have one in that case o.O
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries