Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Castes and genders.  (Read 2526 times)

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Castes and genders.
« on: March 16, 2011, 09:29:15 pm »

If I made a custom caste, lets say--

[CASTE:CUSTOM_CASTE_1]

And I added both of the gender tags, like this--

[CASTE:CUSTOM_CASTE_1]
     [MALE]
     [FEMALE]

What would happen? Would they be generated as both male and female? Or would my hard drive collapse into black hole, and destroy the entire universe?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Castes and genders.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:33:09 pm »

Well let's test it like we tested the hadron collider. Give it a go, and if it turns the universe painfully inside out it was worth it in the name of !!SCIENCE!!

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 09:35:08 pm »

It seems that the first tag listed is the gender.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 09:39:48 pm »

Well that was about as anti-climatic as the hadron collider...

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 09:40:52 pm »

Well that was about as anti-climatic as the hadron collider...

Yeah, and I was legitimately concerned for the fate of the universe. Now I am disappoint.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 10:20:21 pm »

Are we sure of that?

I imagine that the game's text does not have pronound for hermaphoradites programmed in (especially since there is no official concensus on such pronouns as of yet even in real life), so it could have made the creature functionally hermaphoraditic but been unable to list it as such...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 10:24:59 pm »

Are we sure of that?

I imagine that the game's text does not have pronound for hermaphoradites programmed in (especially since there is no official concensus on such pronouns as of yet even in real life), so it could have made the creature functionally hermaphoraditic but been unable to list it as such...

I don't know-- I just took the Dwarven [MALE] tag out of the male caste, moved it into the female cast, and started arena mode.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 11:37:00 pm »

You can always use the antman model of having rare breeders and hermaphrodites/single-gender as the bulk of the species.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 01:58:59 am »

Hmm, I'm actually rather sure that if you have multiple gender tags the last one listed in the cast's string overwrites all previous gender tags.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 01:47:03 pm »

Hmm, I'm actually rather sure that if you have multiple gender tags the last one listed in the cast's string overwrites all previous gender tags.

Oh, you're right, I got mixed up. I added [MALE] after [FEMALE], so, yes, the last one is what counts.