Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sx  (Read 2050 times)

Zanielyene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sx
« on: March 17, 2011, 01:26:58 am »

Who else thinks that nerve damage is the most retarded mechanic in the game? I had a legendary hammerdwarf/armor user who was just recently made useless because his leather pants weren't enough to protect his precious legs from nerve damage. Thanks to a lucky goblin axe to the shins, he no longer has the ability to stand and the 7 years it took to train him to legendary status were wasted.

Does anybody have any idea how to save my poor hammerdwarf, or a way to turn off the mechanic entirely?

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sx
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 01:30:36 am »

Wait until the next version.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 02:12:37 am »

Probably, if you modded out all mention of nerves from the raws, then nothing would get nerve damage.

Or it might just flat out not work.

My solution to this problem is to give my soldiers metal armor. Any metal armor is better than nothing, heck, mod gold to be armorable if it's all you have.
Actually, I think I'll go do that anyway.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 03:58:46 am »

I wouldn't call nerve damage "retarded" as much as "realistic". Training is far from the 100% protection it was back when; if you are caught unprepared by an ambush or a siege and have to send unarmored dwarves into the fray, you should expect carnage. Unlucky hits will occur even with armor.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 04:33:06 am »

I'm not sure if it'll affect existing dwarves but removing [HAS_NERVES] from the dwarf entry in /raw/objects/creature_standard.txt should stop any nerve damage. You could remove them from everything for fairness.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 09:05:40 am »

Lock the hospital door. It's the only way to rescue him...for now.

Or you could wait 'til Toady releases 0.31.22. Crutches should work then :D

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 09:30:44 am »

If you've had an active military for seven years without giving them proper armor, you've no one to blame. Bronze and steel can easily be purchased from the caravans if you have none, and either one will provide solid defense against iron weapons.
EDIT: Once crutches are properly implemented, be sure to give him some time to get used to the crutch before he goes into battle again. Crutch walking is a skill, and without practice he'll fare little better than if he crawled into battle.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:37:10 am by tfaal »
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 10:00:46 am »

...his leather pants weren't enough to protect his precious legs from nerve damage. Thanks to a lucky goblin axe to the shins, ...

Ummmm... how is that retarded?  If you think about it,  what IS retarded is going into battle after 7 years of training with just a pair of pants as protection for the legs.  But the solution is as stated above.
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Zanielyene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 12:17:00 pm »

If you've had an active military for seven years without giving them proper armor, you've no one to blame. Bronze and steel can easily be purchased from the caravans if you have none, and either one will provide solid defense against iron weapons.
EDIT: Once crutches are properly implemented, be sure to give him some time to get used to the crutch before he goes into battle again. Crutch walking is a skill, and without practice he'll fare little better than if he crawled into battle.

Parent civilization is dead, and no other local civilizations. I have yet to see any kind of metal on this map either, so leather is my only option.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 12:36:34 pm »

No metal suitable for armor?  After 7 years? 

I don't know how one could accomplish that, unless they built an aboveground fortress out of wood.

Have you found the caverns and dug below them?  If you dig deep enough, you can find iron anywhere.  It's not as plentiful as magnetite near the surface, but after 7 years there's no reason not to have any.  It takes less time to give full sets of masterwork spoiler armor to a squad of 10 (come to think of it, why not just go for spoiler metal?).  I don't even know if it's possible to get a combination of rock layers that would prevent you from at least making bronze or silver armor.

Failing that, it sounds like you've settled a crapsack world anyway.  Regenerating might be for the best.

In any case, I really don't think nerve damage is the problem here.  No armor = injuries, BAD injuries.  There's a reason elves don't last long in a fight, and right now your dwarves are shorter versions of them.  It's just the way the game works.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 12:40:39 pm »

I'm curious now.  What does your fort look like?  How many levels have you dug to?  Can you post screenshots or at the very least the list of rock layers in the biome you settled?
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 02:34:20 pm »

Parent civilization is dead, and no other local civilizations. I have yet to see any kind of metal on this map either, so leather is my only option.

Please allow me to apologize; I had taken dwarvary for foolhardiness, though you must admit that is a thin distinction. Regardless, in your position, I would dig deep in search of clownite.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 04:47:34 pm »

I've got to ask: what is with the thread title?

Personally, I think nerve damage needs the least work out of all the parts of the combat system.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 06:27:28 pm »

It's the health screen symbol for "Cannot stand."
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 08:33:27 pm »

I've got to ask: what is with the thread title?

Personally, I think nerve damage needs the least work out of all the parts of the combat system.

Agreed. I mostly want to see sparring become more common/reproducable, so that soldiers can acquire reasonable skills without the use of a Danger Room.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!
Pages: [1] 2