Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 210

Author Topic: Eve Online  (Read 256156 times)

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Eve Online
« on: March 17, 2011, 07:39:35 am »

I searched, but it looks like the last thread hasn't been posted in for a good year, so I'm starting a new one.

I recently resubscribed and I was wondering how many bay12er's play.  It seems like the kind of game that would be right up everyone's alley.  I'm kind of a free agent at the moment, and I'm looking for a good group of players to play with.  Currently I'm running around Molden Heath trying to stir up trouble in my Rifter.  I've gotten a few miners and such so far, but it's so much work.

So anyway, Eve Online thread.  My in game name is Admiral Finkus by the way.

:edit: forgot about the extended downtime :(
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 07:50:01 am by Sir Finkus »

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
Re: Eve Online
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 08:22:48 am »

It requires too much spare time, due to the fact that even when logged off, you can lose everything.

For me that's a no go, but i loved it when i played it back in the day, when i could spend 24/7 on PC  :o
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

OperatorPants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 08:27:28 am »

It requires too much spare time, due to the fact that even when logged off, you can lose everything.

Uh, explain? How do you lose anything when in a station? And Eve requires very little attention compared to other games, considering you don't need to grind to level anything. You just need to log on to make money.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am »

Uh, explain? How do you lose anything when in a station? And Eve requires very little attention compared to other games, considering you don't need to grind to level anything. You just need to log on to make money.

If your alliance loses sov on a station then anything inside is out of bounds until you get that sov back. Neglecting a pos can also lead to a huge loss.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 08:45:13 am »

If your alliance loses sov on a station then anything inside is out of bounds until you get that sov back. Neglecting a pos can also lead to a huge loss.
I haven't gotten to the whole sovereignty aspect of the game yet, but isn't that kind of your fault for leaving all your eggs in that particular basket?  As far as poses go, I've read a bit about them and it seems like you need a fairly robust logistics framework to keep them up and running.  I think the fact that "cutting off supply lines and starving them out" is a valid tactic in the game adds a lot of depth.  It's an online game with a focus on pvp, you're going to lose stuff

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 09:09:29 am »

I suppose that would be your own fault but thats not to say it doesn't happen. When CVA lost Providence lots of NRDS casuals came back to find their stuff locked in stations they couldn't dock at. Its not uncommon to see freighter after freighter leaving stations when a take over is inevitable so its obvious that people are keeping an enormous amount of junk in there.

As for pos it depends on what your'e using it for as to how much maintainance it needs. Check out some wormholes and before to long I guarantee you will find a run down one.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 10:17:12 am »

I play, I'm Anja Galena in game. Currently carebearing in Amarr space with a Harbinger, with trips out to Dodixie to play with a friend. Going on my first roam with my corp on saturday. Kinda nervous about it, going to need to look up a few fits on Battleclinic, see what I can fit.

Got an Apoc in my hangar, which is going to be waiting for at least 2 weeks until I can fly it the way it deserves. Really looking forwards to it, though.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 11:34:20 am »

EvE is the only MMO I have gone back to, and more than three times.  I was recently thinking about resubbing, but am currently playing RIFT at the moment.. but I'll be back... they always come back.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 06:13:51 pm »

EvE is the only MMO.
Fixed.  All the "others" are pretty chat rooms.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 06:16:57 pm »

EVE is cool if you want to work the economy side, because the PVP is only fun if you are backed by a large corp and have the resources to risk ships.  If you don't have a huge corp behind you, you will spend you time mining in safe space for hours to scrape up some cash to throw together a decent ship to fight in, and then get exploded moments after crossing the line into Space PVP zone.  This isn't my personal experience, since I rolled with Goonfleet for some months, but it is true.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 06:26:51 pm »

EVE is an amazing MMO. It's the only one I keep returning to, every time I miss its incredible depth.

And then I slowly get bored. But hey, it still keeps me entranced longer than most of the annoying MMOs on the market.  ;)

And I second the coolness of the economy. My last stab at the game, I rolled a manufacturer - I'd never considered producing items before, and I decided, "Why not?". After getting a few of my skills up, I started loving it. The biggest problem (benefit?) is that it's very non-interactive. You place an order, see that it'll take 24 hours to produce, and that's that, you can log off/go mining/shoot some rats. Once your production run finishes, you dump your product on the market, undercut your competition, and maybe check every few hours to see if someone else undercut you in return. If you're planning to do nothing but economic manipulation, you're going to get bored. But it takes surprisingly little time to get the basic skills (I think it took a month or so to get most of the essential skills up to either 4 or 5), and once you've got the basics down, it's a great way to make money and keep yourself supplied at the same time.  :D

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 06:30:27 pm »

EVE is cool if you want to work the economy side, because the PVP is only fun if you are backed by a large corp and have the resources to risk ships.  If you don't have a huge corp behind you, you will spend you time mining in safe space for hours to scrape up some cash to throw together a decent ship to fight in, and then get exploded moments after crossing the line into Space PVP zone.  This isn't my personal experience, since I rolled with Goonfleet for some months, but it is true.
Maybe in 0.0, but I've had some pretty good success with solo piracy in my Rifter.  You've just got to have your head on a swivel and fly the cheap stuff.  A pvp fit rifter probably costs me about 400k isk and is good for plenty of fun.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 06:49:07 am »

So is there any Bay12 corp to join? Or any corp recommended for casual, part-time players? Because while playing EVE alone is goddamned boring, I definitely do not have the time, patience, and good internet connection required to play the game hardcore.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 09:42:31 am »

So is there any Bay12 corp to join? Or any corp recommended for casual, part-time players? Because while playing EVE alone is goddamned boring, I definitely do not have the time, patience, and good internet connection required to play the game hardcore.
That's a good question, I've been looking for a corp myself.  I don't seem to have enough skill points for a lot though because I re-rolled when I resubbed.  Bad idea, but I did it.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 10:53:29 am »

I played eve a couple months, a while back, but i left because :

-Travelling is slow, very slow.
-Skills take too much time to level up, and you have little to no influence on this. Smells like an artificial incentive to keep you subscribing for long periods of time (I think that you can play for several years without being maxed out).
-Missions are ultra repetitive. Grinding them for money is really boring. Mining is boring too, unless you like to stare at your screen for hours and click every 2-3 minutes.
-You can lose everything very easily if you take any risk. Carebearing for weeks is almost necessary until you have at least a spare ship and powerful friends to travel with.

Well that was my experience anyway. Still a very nice game, but i can't bring myself to play it again.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 210