Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 210

Author Topic: Eve Online  (Read 253419 times)

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
Re: Eve Online
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 11:48:35 am »

Went out on a roam last night. Fairly uneventful, most people jumped away when they saw a hac, 2 BCs and a BS warp in, only real action was when 20-ish people jumped in on us when we were heading back to empire.

I need a new Harbinger. Day or two of missioning ahead.

Also, Sirian, most of those problems can be avoided. Use a shuttle for travelling, or at the very least don't autopilot. Skills, yeah, can be a bitch. Plan stuff out with EVEMon, remap if there's 2-3 attributes that everything you want to train needs, and get decent Implants. Missions aren't everything, PVP is where it's at, and Insuring your pvp ships is vital. PVPing in a Frigate also means you're only losing 500k-1 mil each pop. If you can't make 500k in a few hours you're doing level 1 missions in a rookie ship.

Still, it's not for everyone, and I can understand frustration with it. I, for instance, have lost 3 40 mil ships in the last few weeks, 2 of them to other players.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 09:37:32 pm »

Went out on a roam last night. Fairly uneventful, most people jumped away when they saw a hac, 2 BCs and a BS warp in, only real action was when 20-ish people jumped in on us when we were heading back to empire.

I need a new Harbinger. Day or two of missioning ahead.

Also, Sirian, most of those problems can be avoided. Use a shuttle for travelling, or at the very least don't autopilot. Skills, yeah, can be a bitch. Plan stuff out with EVEMon, remap if there's 2-3 attributes that everything you want to train needs, and get decent Implants. Missions aren't everything, PVP is where it's at, and Insuring your pvp ships is vital. PVPing in a Frigate also means you're only losing 500k-1 mil each pop. If you can't make 500k in a few hours you're doing level 1 missions in a rookie ship.

Still, it's not for everyone, and I can understand frustration with it. I, for instance, have lost 3 40 mil ships in the last few weeks, 2 of them to other players.

Shit, find a good agent and it'd probably only take you 2-3 level one missions to pay for a decent pvp frigate.  Doesn't take long.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 10:17:08 pm »

On my return to Eve (3rd time's a charm) last year I first got into some research, I wanted to try something I'd never done before. But I didn't make the same mistake I'd made previously, in that I burnt myself out on the primary activity and thus the game as a whole, so instead of just focusing on research I also stuck my toes into the pond that is trading, and manufacture, all while still running missions with a few friends.

Honestly, the biggest piece of advice I can give anyone trying this game, for the first or nth time, is DO NOT TRY TO FOCUS ON ONE ACTIVITY. Sure, have an idea of what you enjoy and do that most, but mix things up a bit, don't get locked into the same activity for 3 hours every time you log on or very quickly the game will grow stale.

The seconds biggest piece of advice I can offer is, play with friends, or if there are none available, make new ones in game. Everything, even the most boring task, is enjoyable if while you're doing it you can also half a laugh and a chat with your friends who're there doing it with you.

Right now I'm living in a worm hole and for the past 5 months have been paying for the game through in game means by shipping out the Sleeper salvage and selling it in empire space, then buying a plex when needed. It's going really well, and I'm finally getting into reverse engineering and will likely start construction of T3 ships in the near future.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 10:57:23 pm »

Yeah, Ive been playing this on and off since 2005. Been re subbed since the end of December now. Currently chilling in a perma war dec corp group thing called Red vs Blue. Constant "inter-corp" pvp, mostly t1 frigs, but sometimes larger stuff gets brought up. 

This tends to be the only mmo I willingly go back to (my brother in law forces me to play Lineage 2 every so often). Basicly got to the point to where I can pay for my sub with ingame money, which is nice, this whole month, and next month will be paid that way.

Gortaak ingame.
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 01:04:56 am »

I'm tempted to start playing this again but I'm betting my computer can't handle it anymore (for reference I use to beable to play Oblivion but now can't for some reason despite no change in hardware). My computer is seriously screwed up.

However I did have quite a bit of fun in the game, mostly hanging out in that DJ chat place.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 04:05:44 am »

I might as well ask, can the earliest PvE missions (as in, say, the ones you'd be doing for the first week for the 14-day trial) be done with more than one player? Because I'm thinking of trying the trial (again) but this time with a friend, but that would be pointless if the trial stuff is strictly solo.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 08:05:09 am »

I might start it up again. It's really fun.

EDIT: I'm starting up again with 5 free days. I might resubscribe once I get enough money.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:07:05 am by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 09:47:15 am »

Discovered yesterday that the only way to fit an Apoc for missioning and get decent performance is T2 Pulse Lasers. Mildly sad at this development, as this means I need to buy a 150 million brick to get a ship I'm happy to take into the harder L4 missions. I have about a week until I'm at a point where I'm happy to actually use said brick (Or Abaddon, if you insist on using proper names), and need to make around 110 million.

It's show time.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 10:38:53 am »

Yeah, Ive been playing this on and off since 2005. Been re subbed since the end of December now. Currently chilling in a perma war dec corp group thing called Red vs Blue. Constant "inter-corp" pvp, mostly t1 frigs, but sometimes larger stuff gets brought up. 

This tends to be the only mmo I willingly go back to (my brother in law forces me to play Lineage 2 every so often). Basicly got to the point to where I can pay for my sub with ingame money, which is nice, this whole month, and next month will be paid that way.

Gortaak ingame.
Was actually looking at RvB, which side are you on?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 12:21:11 pm »

I play, and have been playing for 5? 6? years now[1]. I'm not sure what the people complaining about the difficulty of either skill training or making money is, though the skills do require a bit of patience (compared to just grinding) and the money can get tight if you start flying beyond your means[2]. I have lost large quantities of stuff to station sovereignty changes, but given the nature (and intent) of 0.0 space (the only place where that can happen) it seems perfectly justified, and also not something that's likely to happen to a new player with no chance to set up an emergency safe money source in empire.

I'm currently hanging out in a fairly casual corp in Pure Blind, though recently I've been up in Amarr space helping a few friends get started in their Eve careers. Having just run through the training stuff, Poltifar, it's not solo but you'd get the 'chance' to do each training mission twice (once for you, once for your friend). Certainly no limit on other player's ability to come into the training missions. Other missions are always possible to do in groups.

Actually, on that note - Anyone interested in trying to get a Bay12 and Friends fleet together at some point in the near future? Low Sec PvP is much more fun (and survivable!) in a group, after all.

[1] For Sirdan's reference, I'm close to maxing out subcapital combat-oriented skills except for some of the t2 battleships and t3s (and Caldari cruiser V). I haven't done much in the mining/industry/trade/research trees, though, so I'm still many tens of millions of skill points away from 'maxing out'.

[2] Flying beyond your means is defined as flying something into PvP that you can't afford to replace with a few hours of ${money-making activity of choice}, repeatedly. But, as was pointed out by Finkus, you can do plenty in the small, cheap ships (Rifter (~500k) and Rupture (~6m) being popular) and if you can't make enough money to support that you're doing something very wrong. I'd suggest sticking to them if you're flying solo, since anything larger than that is basically a giant target for anyone flying in a group.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 12:43:24 pm »

I play, and have been playing for 5? 6? years now[1]. I'm not sure what the people complaining about the difficulty of either skill training or making money is, though the skills do require a bit of patience (compared to just grinding) and the money can get tight if you start flying beyond your means[2]. I have lost large quantities of stuff to station sovereignty changes, but given the nature (and intent) of 0.0 space (the only place where that can happen) it seems perfectly justified, and also not something that's likely to happen to a new player with no chance to set up an emergency safe money source in empire.

I'm currently hanging out in a fairly casual corp in Pure Blind, though recently I've been up in Amarr space helping a few friends get started in their Eve careers. Having just run through the training stuff, Poltifar, it's not solo but you'd get the 'chance' to do each training mission twice (once for you, once for your friend). Certainly no limit on other player's ability to come into the training missions. Other missions are always possible to do in groups.

Actually, on that note - Anyone interested in trying to get a Bay12 and Friends fleet together at some point in the near future? Low Sec PvP is much more fun (and survivable!) in a group, after all.

[1] For Sirdan's reference, I'm close to maxing out subcapital combat-oriented skills except for some of the t2 battleships and t3s (and Caldari cruiser V). I haven't done much in the mining/industry/trade/research trees, though, so I'm still many tens of millions of skill points away from 'maxing out'.

[2] Flying beyond your means is defined as flying something into PvP that you can't afford to replace with a few hours of ${money-making activity of choice}, repeatedly. But, as was pointed out by Finkus, you can do plenty in the small, cheap ships (Rifter (~500k) and Rupture (~6m) being popular) and if you can't make enough money to support that you're doing something very wrong. I'd suggest sticking to them if you're flying solo, since anything larger than that is basically a giant target for anyone flying in a group.

I'm up for a bay12 pew pew fleet.  I've been concentrating my skills on frigate combat, so I'll probably bring a Rifter.  I'm not too shabby on the D scanner either.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 12:55:04 pm »

I'm tempted to start playing this again but I'm betting my computer can't handle it anymore (for reference I use to beable to play Oblivion but now can't for some reason despite no change in hardware). My computer is seriously screwed up.

However I did have quite a bit of fun in the game, mostly hanging out in that DJ chat place.

Sounds like your graphical card is overheating(or dead)
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 12:56:19 pm »

I've been meaning to try this out for a while, possibly with the help of you guys for the 21-day thing, but apparently it requires a lot of commitment that, quite frankly, I don't have.

That coupled with a lot of other stuff leads to me procrastinating on this for god knows how long.

Halfman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 01:27:33 pm »

I resubbed about a month ago. Currently flying with E-Uni. Its a lot of fun but right now we have been wardecced for 2 weeks with not a lot of action, and there are a lot of rules to contend with in the Uni. But if you are new and you want a good group to go with try them out.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 02:31:07 pm »

I've been meaning to try this out for a while, possibly with the help of you guys for the 21-day thing, but apparently it requires a lot of commitment that, quite frankly, I don't have.

That coupled with a lot of other stuff leads to me procrastinating on this for god knows how long.

Honestly, it probably requires the least commitment of any MMO. Of course, given the commitment required for most MMOs, that's not saying a lot. But remember, skill training is passive - you plug in a skill, and it'll take X hours to complete regardless of whether you're logged in or not. Set up a nice, long skill (or queue up a bunch of short ones - the skill queue is probably my favourite improvement since the second-last time I played  :D ), and you can log off, come back the next day, and find a shiny new skill fully-trained.

Heck, get into retail and you can make millions while logged-off, as factories keep working while you're logged off, and people can still purchase your goods off the market whether or not you're online.  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 210