Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 210

Author Topic: Eve Online  (Read 256282 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Eve Online
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 02:39:24 pm »

What is planet production like?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 02:48:08 pm »

Has potential to make staggering amounts of money, but you need a couple of good planets that are reasonably close to each other, produce all the right things, and aren't already being used by too many other players.

I wouldn't mind a B12 pew-pew fleet either. Depending on when, I'll bring either an Omen or a Punisher. Maybe even a Vengeance if I have enough time to train. That's a long way away, though.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2011, 03:25:33 pm »

I'm tempted to start playing this again but I'm betting my computer can't handle it anymore (for reference I use to beable to play Oblivion but now can't for some reason despite no change in hardware). My computer is seriously screwed up.

However I did have quite a bit of fun in the game, mostly hanging out in that DJ chat place.

Sounds like your graphical card is overheating(or dead)

Its possible, though when I did run before it it would crash rarely (this is playing on lowest graphic settings to) and now it crashes on startup. Other games that I've played before still work fine like Morrowind and such so I can only assume somethings buggered somewhere (it has gone in for non hardware related repairs once or twice since then).

Lets see... when I was playing I always prefered the drone ships (skeet! skeet!) though thats probably not cost effective or something. Grah now I want to get back in... Maybe I'll see if I've got those 5 free days if only to see if Eve still runs for me.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2011, 04:18:17 pm »

Yeah, Ive been playing this on and off since 2005. Been re subbed since the end of December now. Currently chilling in a perma war dec corp group thing called Red vs Blue. Constant "inter-corp" pvp, mostly t1 frigs, but sometimes larger stuff gets brought up. 

This tends to be the only mmo I willingly go back to (my brother in law forces me to play Lineage 2 every so often). Basicly got to the point to where I can pay for my sub with ingame money, which is nice, this whole month, and next month will be paid that way.

Gortaak ingame.
Was actually looking at RvB, which side are you on?

Red, which is currently, or was the only side recruiting cause it needs more peoples. And Im fairly certain we have a little bit higher efficency in the war as well. :D
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2011, 05:14:08 pm »

Has potential to make staggering amounts of money, but you need a couple of good planets that are reasonably close to each other, produce all the right things, and aren't already being used by too many other players.

I wouldn't say that planets can make staggering amounts of ISK. Me and a couple of friends are running a wormhole POS, and we can make something like 15-20 million a day from planets, between four people. Keep in mind that the wormhole system planets are basically the best planets available in the game, and there is literally no one else using them.

I whole-heartedly recommend trying out wormhole space, especially with a few friends. You don't need to set up a POS, just raiding wormholes that happen to open up in an area near you can be very profitable as well, and you don't need all that much skills, especially for lower class wormholes. For reference, our operation has four people; me - 6 years old, and the other guys, roughly one year old each. We do class 3 (wormholes go from class 1 to class 6, 6 being the hardest) wormhole sites in a pretty timely manner, at about two or three sites an hour using three battleships and a logistics cruiser. A class 3 site gives something like 80-150 million isk a piece, depending a bit on which site it is and how many melted nanoribbons you get from the salvage. It's very possible to do these sites in cheaper ships, but it will take a bit longer.

It's even more fun if you set up a POS, since you get to do some industry in the form of tech 3 and planetary production as well. Tech 3 production is very skill-intensive, though.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2011, 05:27:40 pm »

I'm still a newbie when it comes to money in game, I've never had more than 100 million ISK at any one time. A few million still seems like decent money to me.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2011, 10:31:23 pm »

Yay! Small projectile turret 5 has just finished.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2011, 05:40:36 am »

i started with 2 month ago and joined the e-uni 2 weeks after.
verry interesting game, and im having lots of fun.
albeit i find its quite hard (read: impossible) for new players to catch up with the older ones.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 09:51:07 am »

albeit i find its quite hard (read: impossible) for new players to catch up with the older ones.

Not quite true. You can never catch up total-SP wise, that's true, but combat efficiency wise you certainly can since there's only so many SP's that are potentially available for use with every given ship (and fitting).

For example, if you've maxed out the skills for an interceptor and its fitting, you're exactly as good when flying it if you have 5 million SP as if you would have been if you had 100 million. The 100 million guy can probably fly more types of ships, but not necessarily better.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2011, 10:22:33 am »

Gunnery 5 finishes 9-ish tonight, and then I can start training Large Energy Turrets. Still need around 100 million for the BS, not including fittings, but that's probably for the best; I really don't want to screw up with this thing.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2011, 01:49:38 pm »

If you are about to do lvl 4 missions, look up some fits for your ship, and then over tank it. Lvl 4 missions are drastacly harder than lvl 3s.
Go to this site: http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=missionreports and build your tank around your mission. The best bit of advice I can give you, is sheild tank, and boost your resistances as high as you can go. Dont worry about cap stable, as the setups usually arent as good as they could be.

Dont listen to what anyone says when they tell you that you are over tanking your lvl 4s, if you are first getting into them, other wise you WILL lose your ship.

I lost 3 Ravens that were supposedly "perfect" for lvl 4s, cap stable shield tanks that could "easily" tank lvl 4s (and a damn good Rokh, but that was due to my own stupidity:P). They were all crap fits. I then fit this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, it is over tanked, and by a large margin, but I didnt lose it, and was plowing through lvl 4 missions quite quickly, but more importantly safely till I got used to it. Eventually, after I got used to how it tanked (pulsing the shield booster only when needed as it only has 1:30 of cap, which is plenty btw) I started dropping tank mods for more damage. I dropped the EM rig for a Rigor, and dropped the 2 amps for 2 tps, and dropped one PDU for another BCS.

Moral of the story/ TL;DR: Over tank till you are comfortable and used to 4s so you dont lose your ship. :)
Also, T2 Drones are a MUST for popping scramming frigates
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2011, 03:29:15 am »

Dont listen to what anyone says when they tell you that you are over tanking your lvl 4s, if you are first getting into them, other wise you WILL lose your ship.

hehe, jeah. i listen to what they say. but i also tend to make my own mind after listening and do something completly different XD
so, for l4 missions i fly an over tanked projectile arty fitted abaddon. it works verry well for me, even with my 3 mio sp wouldnt allow me to fit anything t2 exept for drones and a gyro ^_^

The 100 million guy can probably fly more types of ships, but not necessarily better
true. albeit having more options is a big advantage. plus having all these sp would proably result in a huge passive income so that 100 mio guy wouldnd be able to fly (and replace) much more shiny stuff.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 05:20:06 am »

Much as Silfurdreki, I operate out of a wormhole with a small group of friends. We're based in a class 4 WH with a static C4 exit, which gives us a very good amount of WH sites to work with each day (if we clean out our home system, there's a good chance that the C4 next door has some we can raid). And as Silfurdreki mentioned, the planets in here can make a decent amount of money, but nothing spectacular (especially compared to just running the sites and gathering salvage/blue loot), I make roughly 150 to 200 million a month with level 4 command centres and 5 planets, though my earnings are slightly lower than they would be normally as outside of a 2 month fuel buffer for the POS which the corp will buy at 100% Jita prices, any remaining PI materials are purchased at 80% Jita prices. This allows the corp to build up some money for POS modules and also means I don't need to worry about hauling it out to make money.

With maxed skills I imagine you could make the better part of a plex out of PI alone, each month. But honestly, you can make a plex in about 4 hours of killing sleepers in a C4 so that's where we focus most of our efforts. When it gets a bit tedious, we just put together a cruiser fleet and go poking around in other WHs looking for a fight, or drop out into lowsec and roam for a bit :)

Has anyone set up a B12 chat channel? As I live in a WH I wont always be able to drop out into K-Space in order to fly with you guys, but I'd love the chance to chat and just hang out with people from here, and when the stars align and there's a conveniently places exit into K-Space, join up with any B12 roams going on :D

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 07:47:18 am »

Has anyone set up a B12 chat channel? As I live in a WH I wont always be able to drop out into K-Space in order to fly with you guys, but I'd love the chance to chat and just hang out with people from here, and when the stars align and there's a conveniently places exit into K-Space, join up with any B12 roams going on :D

A B12 chat channel is a really neat idea, I'd suggest simply 'Bay12 Eve', seeing as I'm a sucker for simplicity. Any objections? Other suggestions?

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 12:18:33 pm »

I currently have absolutely no Shield Tanking skills, so shield tanking will just add another week+ onto the training I need to do for the Abaddon. As for L4s, I've done a few (Blood Raiders and Sanshas only; Armour tanked ships laugh off lasers) in my Battlecruiser, so I'm not too worried. The 'Baddon's getting 4 mission specific Hardeners, and the best meta Large Repper I can loot before I start flying it (I have a Meta 1 Repper from a mission already, looking for a better one.) And yeah, most of my fits are either direct copies or heavily inspired by Battleclinic Fits.

On the other hand, I've had L3s that smash my tank on the Harbinger (Pirate Invasion with Guristas. I ended up replacing one of my Heatsinks with a low meta Kinetic Hardener I'd found earlier), so I will be overtanking at least a bit for the first few missions.

Roaming again tomorrow, going to buy and fit a Harbinger for it now.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 210