Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trade depot considered "outdoor" area?  (Read 397 times)

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trade depot considered "outdoor" area?
« on: May 04, 2007, 08:02:00 pm »

So, I have my trade depot inside the mountain 15 or 20 squares deep. Unambiguously indoors. I also have a 100% indoor route to it. But, when I have dwarves set to stay indoors, and I tell a miner to begin digging from a space adjacent to the trade depot, I get spammed with messages that "job canceled: restricted area" or whatever it says to indicate that the job is outdoors. I allowed dwarves to go outside, and they start digging. Once they get a few spaces down the new corridor from the trade depot, I turn on the restriction, and they don't have a problem.

So, it seems like they treat the 5x5 trade depot as an outdoor area.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trade depot considered "outdoor" area?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 08:12:00 pm »

Hmm, that could be useful, at least for the current version, to help keep your dwarves inside:

code:

``#........#########.....
``#........#+++#+++#.....
``##########+XXXXX+######
++^^^^^^^^^^+XXXXX+++++++
``##########+XXXXX+######
``#........#+++#+++#.....
``#........#########.....

` = outside ground
# = solid rock
^ = trap
+ = floor/road
X = trade depot

If this applies to more than just mining, that should keep dwarves BEHIND the trade depot 'demarcation line' when set to not go outside. I will have to try this out!

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 10:38:00 pm »

The problem is getting them to cross the trade depot to run inside when they are already outside.  I can't quite figure out the how it all works since there seems to be some odd bugs with the stay inside order.

I have circling soldiers.  Just set thier station point a slight ways out from the entrance.  Then once they are there order all in, and they will circle.

Children love to run outside after the all in order is done.  Which always seems to prompt one of the adults to come out and yell at them to get inside.

Lots of little wierd things.

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

hactar1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 06:49:00 pm »

I think the way the "stay inside" order works is not that they will refuse to ever go outside, but that they will refuse jobs they would be doing outside.  I've seen dwarves run outside during the stay-inside and then back in another entrance to perform jobs that are "inside" but require going outside to reach.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 11:43:00 pm »

I'm not sure what the code used to look like when there was a cliff face, but I don't see anything there that would cause this trade depot bug now.  I'll have to take a wait-and-see attitude on this (and several others).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!