Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: How long have you been playing DF?  (Read 4329 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How long have you been playing DF?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 09:17:23 am »

I remember playing as far back as mid-40d.

I quit after a while and then came back and oh hey look .31 was release whoo!
I haven't been on the forums nearly that long though.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 09:17:48 am »

Started palying like, three releases before z layers...so a few years.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 09:38:09 am »

I've been here a little over a year. 

My longest-lived fortress was my first 40d fotress, before we kept getting all these updates that I did short-lived fortresses to test things out on...  I still go back to 40d to play that fortress whenever there isn't some project I want to use DF2010 for.

It's sort of an ugly hodgepodge because I never really planned it the way that I planned subsequent "serious" fortresses.  Still, I used fractal pattern bedrooms for the commoners, and built along the inside of a naturally occuring mountain spire for the noble bedrooms, shaping their rooms to the natural landscape.  And I eventually went back and made a really spectacular dining hall that was three stories tall, had four indoor waterfalls, and a moat around my captured titan and dragons, plus a zoo of every animal I could get my hands on. 

Oh, and a still-as-yet-unfinished plumbing system fed by an underground river that "flushes" into the bottomless pit.  I'll finish it one of these days, I swear.  Then I'll use its hydrological power to create some sort of crazy dwarfputer.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 11:27:10 am »

Started mid april last year. So, been dwarfing almost a year now. God bless you tv tropes, linking the way to the sagas of Boatmurdered, Headshoots, and Syrupleaf. I joined pretty much after I finished reading all 3 of those.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 11:28:37 am »

Started palying like, three releases before z layers...so a few years.
I can top that. Started playing A DAY before the first 3d version. I stuck around with 2d to learn the ropes for a few days. I miss scripted events. :'(
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

roguester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 01:50:26 pm »

The first release I recall after I started was when dyes were implemented. Sometime in 2006 I guess.

waerth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 02:32:01 pm »

First post on the forum  :D ..... I just started a week or so ago, 10 days max. Am totally hooked already.

Am used to playing games that are a bit more difficult. Am an avid player of Simutrans also.

W

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 02:56:19 pm »

The late days of 2D. Another Boatmurdered recruit.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 03:55:42 pm »

Mid 2D days, I suppose. I'm not even positive exactly when, but I know that I played before I had regular internet access, so it was awhile before I even joined the forum.

I remember that my first few forts were plauged with problems, back when a room that looked like this was a very bad idea.

Code: [Select]
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
X.......XXX
X.......XXX
X.......XXX
X.......XXX
X.......XXX
X.......XXX
X.......XXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 05:59:03 pm »

I first started playing like right before 40D came out. I then proceeded to forget about the game until right around 31.12, when I remembered and dove back in.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 06:05:21 pm »

I found the game in February from TV tropes so almost 2 months
Edit: I look at my profile and it said I joined in December  :o I thought it was later so almost 4 months
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:08:29 pm by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 09:38:02 pm »

Since August of 2009.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 09:43:58 pm »

My join-date says October 11th 2010, and I think the first release I played was 0.31.16. Not long, then. Boatmurdered and my brother constantly reading the wiki got me into it.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 10:02:48 pm »

Heard about it in the Penny Arcade news post sometime in 2009, then once I finished a contract on March 30, 2010, I decided to try it out.  Was wondering why everyone was so excited about the update a couple days later.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 10:24:59 pm »

I started with 31.12, when invaders were broken.  So I got to figure out how to set up self-sufficiency in peace and then started to wonder... "I'm ready... where the hell are the goblins?..."  Then I started reading the forums.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5