Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: How long have you been playing DF?  (Read 4330 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: How long have you been playing DF?
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2011, 10:27:18 pm »

df_23_130_23a_s.zip 23.02.2007 14:51

Good times...

I like how Dwarf Fortress can somehow get people to talk like they are grizzled veterans who who are the last living representatives of something that happened four years ago.  (Which was back in the Age of Myth of Dwarf Fortress, the days when Boatmurdered still roamed the forums free, spewing magma onto other stories.)

"PFFFT! You kids with your fancy "hospitals that work"!  Back in MY day, if a dwarf stubbed his toe, he was a gonner, and we LOVED IT!" 
"How long have you been here?"
"Two months.  Alot's changed since then... those were the good ol' days..."

I guess it just goes to show how much Toady's accomplished in that time.  *old guy voice* Back when I was just knee-high to a modded-in grasshopper-megabeast, we played 40d, and nothing changed for over a year.  *ahem* Maybe I just expected the game to be a slow development cycle forever.  Now that Toady's finished the long chain of bugfix releases, it seems like the pace is really picking up. 

I hope you "I started playing two months ago" types are writing out your own "back in my day" stories.  You might need them soon for the next wave of people that come :P
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2011, 10:28:57 pm »

I need to start making up a Bay12 war story.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

RayesKotrora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2011, 12:47:11 am »

Since around nearing the end of the life of 40d, so pretty much right before DF2010. There was a few months of 40d and then it came out. I am a late forum-comer. I think that means its been about 2 years? Honestly, I don't really know. I just vaguely remember certain aspects of 40d and then it kind of blacks out for a bit and before I know it it's DF2010. Might be repressed memories.

Och skänk henne dessa vinflaskor in bed henne dricka all sorg ur sitt sinn.

manboricua

• Bay Watcher
  • After the 50th Fort, I'm getting the hang of this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2011, 01:07:47 am »

About 24 months, little less - little more.
Loving life every second

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2011, 01:41:20 am »

df_23_130_23a_s.zip 23.02.2007 14:51

Good times...

I like how Dwarf Fortress can somehow get people to talk like they are grizzled veterans who who are the last living representatives of something that happened four years ago.  (Which was back in the Age of Myth of Dwarf Fortress, the days when Boatmurdered still roamed the forums free, spewing magma onto other stories.)

"PFFFT! You kids with your fancy "hospitals that work"!  Back in MY day, if a dwarf stubbed his toe, he was a gonner, and we LOVED IT!" 
"How long have you been here?"
"Two months.  Alot's changed since then... those were the good ol' days..."

I guess it just goes to show how much Toady's accomplished in that time.  *old guy voice* Back when I was just knee-high to a modded-in grasshopper-megabeast, we played 40d, and nothing changed for over a year.  *ahem* Maybe I just expected the game to be a slow development cycle forever.  Now that Toady's finished the long chain of bugfix releases, it seems like the pace is really picking up. 

I hope you "I started playing two months ago" types are writing out your own "back in my day" stories.  You might need them soon for the next wave of people that come :P
You forgot the "You kids and 'yer tasty rain! Back in MY day, rain would seperate our fat and flesh!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2011, 03:10:23 am »

On and off for a little over a year.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2011, 06:47:07 am »

Forget the exact date, but I first started playing a few weeks before 40d was released. Long interruption whilst I lacked a computer that could handle it, corrected just in time for .31.16 to come out.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2011, 06:49:22 am »

Today.

What?

Seriously I started playing around 40d, was frustrated by the lack of updates and figured this game was just vaporware.  Only a dream in someone's eyes.

But now I'm back.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]