Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Screen resizing?  (Read 2773 times)

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Screen resizing?
« on: March 17, 2011, 05:18:15 pm »

If, for whatever reason, my screen gets resized(Like if I downloaded Dwarf Fortress Advanced) how can I turn it back to normal? Everything is ass scrunched up and horrible looking, and scrolling in or out doesnt fix it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Screen resizing?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 05:24:46 pm »

I... have no idea what you mean?  The window is resizable like any other window (assuming you're using Windows) where you just click and hold the edge of the window and move it.

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 05:27:39 pm »

Its times like this when I hate having a hard time explaining things....

EDIT:Problem potentially solved, not sure yet though...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:32:43 pm by ninja137 »

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 05:31:33 pm »

Do you mean it's using a Square Tileset instead of the tall rectangle ones that are standard?  Some people prefer them, though words are harder to read.

Some mods come with those pre-installed.  You can turn it off data>init>init
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 05:33:46 pm »

Do you mean it's using a Square Tileset instead of the tall rectangle ones that are standard?  Some people prefer them, though words are harder to read.

Some mods come with those pre-installed.  You can turn it off data>init>init

This might be it, not entirely sure. Everything just looks weird, I like the tileset itself(Phoebeus) but everything looks odd and is a pain to look at for right now.

swampwater

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the working day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 05:37:13 pm »

I know exactly what you mean even though I have no solution. When I start DF in window mode, the tiles come up in what I think is perfect resolution- the only problem is it intializes half on and half off my primary monitor for some reason, and if I resize or even move the window at all it immediately changes to a higher number of tiles, smaller than I prefer, and will not zoom in any farther... I've tried messing with settings a bit to keep that initial tile size in full screen and never succeed. It's not a dealbreaker but I'd still love to find out why I can't  get it the way I want it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 05:41:06 pm »

Might this be similar to what I've observed in Minecraft?  I've noticed there, if I stretch the window up, it does fine, but then when stretched wider, it'll snap into a more "zoomed in" look, which I don't like, so I make it a bit smaller until it snaps back to what it was before.  That, to me, seems to be a combination of screen resolution and perhaps Window's default way to handle applications.  Try opening the init.txt and changing the resolution or something, and keep in mind you have to close and re-open DF for these to take effect (hence the "initiation" file, abridged to "init").

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 05:50:27 pm »

I'd say that, first things first, swap out (e.g. rename) the ones you have now and copy in the plain ones from another archive copy of the original distributed init files.  See what happens then.

If you've extensively manually edited the now swapped-out files, try your edits (you can open open the renamed ones to compare identify the changes you still need to make) one at a time to see what's causing the problem.  (Perhaps first do en-mass those changes, e.g. seasonal auto-saving, that shouldn't affect anything, but be prepared to back-track if you've been too generous.)

If the edits to the init files were done by a modpack (something I've no experience with), or that "get you going with all the choice stuff" bluffers pack, whatever that's called, you first have to find the init files, but the process is the same and you can see what it is you've had the pack do for you and may find something else you want to change.

Anyway, this way you'll still have your additional/custom/modded tilesets (but by default it'll ignore them) and raws (which shouldn't have anything to do with this affect), so there'll be no difficult re-installation of all your features, just re-activation of all the visual niceties, at least until you find the one setting (or called file) that has obviously made it go all wrong.

(Does that make sense?)

Of course, someone could have the "just change this line" answer, but what I've said should work until you get a sufficiently accurate response at least.

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 06:26:30 pm »

Problem fixed, thankfully. Still dont know what I did, but its fine now.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 08:53:34 pm »

Might've been mentioned, but be aware that you can use the mouse scroll-wheel to change the "zoom".  This might have been the effect you were experiencing.  It is of course reversible.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 02:31:05 am »

Might've been mentioned, but be aware that you can use the mouse scroll-wheel to change the "zoom".  This might have been the effect you were experiencing.  It is of course reversible.

This sounds like the problem. One thing I noticed when using the zoom function is it tends to "stick" at zoon levels for several turns of the mouse wheel; this isn't a bug, it just means the zoom is less sensitive than most other programs that give the mouse wheel a function.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 02:56:58 am »

Wait, you CAN?  Wtf...  I thought DF would be the LAST game to encourage mousewheels.  I'm using a trackball, no wheel, and it seems like EVERY game out there loves to put a hotkey on the mousewheel and then not let you customize controls -.-

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 03:18:56 am »

The zoom is only somewhat helpful. When you change the zoom, every step distends the proportions of the tiles differently. On top of that, all the UI text becomes smaller when you zoom out, meaning anything at the far zoom levels leads to eye strain or even the need for a magnifying glass. Zooming in to reverse it forces you to see less and less of the map. It seems Dwarf Fortress scales expensively to both single-core processor speed and monitor size.

On the bright side, zooming in would help those nearsighted among us to sit further back.

edit: corrected misinformation
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 03:28:48 am by Funburns »

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 03:21:08 am »

(double post)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 03:23:13 am by Funburns »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 03:34:09 am »

Perhaps, but I'd like to be able to zoom out and watch a battle unfold...  I'm sure I have a lame mouse around here somewhere...