Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ockham's Mafia Thread 2 - Game Over  (Read 2599 times)

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ockham's Mafia Thread 2 - Game Over
« on: November 28, 2011, 05:10:01 pm »

Hello!

This is a continuation of the Ockham's Mafia thread. I will get an actual OP up soon, but for now: the night will end tonight at 9:00 PM PST! I am still waiting on Urist_McArathos's role PM, so Urist, send me your role PM.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 12:57:10 am by Think0028 »
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ockham's Mafia Thread 2 - N3 (Night Ends Monday 9:00 PM PST)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 12:56:01 am »

Well, that was anticlimactic.

As the new day dawns, you find NativeForeigner dead in his bed and Toaster brutally murdered. As OrangeBottle and Urist_McArathos look at each other, a creeping horror dawns on them, as they turn around to find Dariush and Jack A T moving to murder them both.

Game over! The scum have won!

So... this game was a lot less bastardy than people expected. As in it wasn't bastardy at all. Everything I can see suggests that everyone's powers were perfectly normal powers that are common, well-known abilities. The only unusual win condition was Simple's, who became an x-ally once his target died. Max just gave him the option to be a third party that won instantly instead of choosing one of the two sides. Naturally, Simple chose that option. The scum's victory condition was either 'have an unknown target (NativeForeigner) die' or traditional win condition. The 'face switching' was just having all actions that target one person to target the other instead. Jack did have an ability that could remove someone from the game for an unknown length of time. Thankfully, he never used it!

So yeah. Game got abandoned really close to being finished. It's over now though!

Also, Native tried to kill Jack A T with his dying breath, which would've made it LYLO, but Toaster valiantly saved Jack with his medical herbs. Woops!

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ockham's Mafia Thread 2 - Game Over
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 01:08:40 am »

That's... disappointing. Scum really won just by getting me killed?
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 01:19:38 am »

Well, I guess it was an Occam's Razor Mafia after all: the simplest explanation (that this was pretty much a normal game) was the correct one.

I won, as well by the way.  I was a survivor, I think. 

Role PM:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Never got to use my one shot...
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 03:09:44 am »

Oh, woops. RETCON URIST WASN'T MURDERED.

Also, Native, scum really won because you got poisoned AND your kill got stopped by a doc protect. Toaster's, in fact. So really, Toaster is the person most responsible for the scum winning, oddly enough.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 03:18:12 am »

Oh, missed that part. I thought that killing me was their sole wincon, but it seems they also matched town's numbers at the end. :I

Toaster, whyyyy? More accurately, what drove you to protect Jack? I went to kill him because of the way he was pushing the lynch on OB (which I mostly thought wasn't all that great).

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 04:04:55 am »

Clarification: by the original intent of the game, the scum either would've won if Native died OR their win condition was unchanged. I went with just a normal win condition, since it seemed reasonable.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 04:30:38 am »

I see.

Also, for reference, here's my role PM:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I completely BSed about being immune to NKs. :P
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:39:53 am by NativeForeigner »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 06:41:27 am »

Considering Think was making up our win conditions, I suspect Max didn't intend us to win by killing NF. However, even if he did, NF still has optional NK-immunity (and he was spot-on about us attempting to kill him N1 and failing) and we didn't even know whom we had to kill. Besides, it doesn't fit into flavor - the only one connected to NF was Nuke.

And by the way, I made up my name on the spot. I'm actually Simon Heed :D Seeing the hunt for him, safe behind my fake name, was awesome, let me tell you.

Also, I was kinda disadvantaged compared to my teammates - they were provided fake identities by Max while I had to make up my own. :( And nobody noticed that discrepancy between my flavor claim and Jack's. :DDD Really, a wek play by the town. I expected a harder fight.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 08:41:29 am »

...Doh.

I protected him because I had a bad read of the game and I semi-randomly picked him to protect because I figured someone would be better than no one.  I kinda had him as town, but not very well.  I didn't figure that someone would be vigging.

Also, I wish I had gotten a firm end time for D2, because I would have broken the tie in favor of Nuke then protected Vector N2 (again.)  Oh well.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 08:52:20 am »

...Doh.

I protected him because I had a bad read of the game and I semi-randomly picked him to protect because I figured someone would be better than no one.  I kinda had him as town, but not very well.  I didn't figure that someone would be vigging.
What.
How is the only person in the OP detailed with having a weapon not a vigilante. :X

Considering Think was making up our win conditions, I suspect Max didn't intend us to win by killing NF. However, even if he did, NF still has optional NK-immunity (and he was spot-on about us attempting to kill him N1 and failing) and we didn't even know whom we had to kill. Besides, it doesn't fit into flavor - the only one connected to NF was Nuke.

And by the way, I made up my name on the spot. I'm actually Simon Heed :D Seeing the hunt for him, safe behind my fake name, was awesome, let me tell you.

Also, I was kinda disadvantaged compared to my teammates - they were provided fake identities by Max while I had to make up my own. :( And nobody noticed that discrepancy between my flavor claim and Jack's. :DDD Really, a wek play by the town. I expected a harder fight.
You and NUKE exploiting your meta exposed you, because you used it to the point of abuse. I probably would've seen that earlier if I hadn't been panicking all day. :U
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 08:59:50 am »

At some point, I completely lost the thread of the game, and I just went back on a reread to see if there was anyone good to protect.

Town was in trouble after we pissed away D1, anyway.  Two townie modkills didn't help anything.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 12:05:31 pm »

Well, I suppose there were worse ways we could have lost.