Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Add real solid density values for stones & wood (added to 0.34.08!)  (Read 85074 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Add real solid density values for stones & wood (added to 0.34.08!)
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2012, 10:32:25 am »

thought I'd point this thread out.  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=109586.0
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2012, 11:37:01 am »

Interesting.  I personally prefer the Lebanon Cedar, personally, given that it's the most famous.

It is and it isn't; again, it's the cedar of the Bible, but the wood used for common, everyday usage (cedar chips for animal bedding, cedar chests, and so on) in most places is redcedar if only because the latter is so much more common. Redcedar has a range of around half the United States while Lebanon Cedar is found in the Middle East near the Mediterranean.

But that makes the numbers merely a change from 570 to 560, which is well within the normal variation for materials like this.  Still, that's some fascinating tree information!  Can I ask where you found those numbers?  The only source I found pegged Lebanon cedars at 580.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/TechSheets/SoftwoodNA/htmlDocs/junipevirgin.html for redcedar.

http://www.technologystudent.com/rmflsh1/cedar1.html for Lebanon Cedar.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:43:34 am by Ubiq »

medikohl

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblins are a good building material
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2012, 06:45:53 am »

If we're looking for data on northern plants, I currently live in alaska and can collect a few samples in that regard.
I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2012, 02:39:50 pm »

If we're looking for data on northern plants, I currently live in alaska and can collect a few samples in that regard.

We're still working on coming up with a representative list of trees over here:  Realistic Tree thread.  What trees do you consider iconic?

I'm in AZ, so I'd probably say that Saguaro, Mesquite, Palo Verde & Palm are what you see around here.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]