Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Add real solid density values for stones & wood (added to 0.34.08!)  (Read 85077 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Add real solid density values for stones (and here's the list)
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 05:14:30 pm »

This is a fine list. good work.
It is indeed!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 11:13:53 am »

Personally, I'm working on a similar project, adding STATE_COLORs to metals and gemstones (or at least to the obvious ones: AMETHYST is AMETHYST, GOLD is GOLD, etc.)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 02:23:09 pm »

Personally, I'm working on a similar project, adding STATE_COLORs to metals and gemstones (or at least to the obvious ones: AMETHYST is AMETHYST, GOLD is GOLD, etc.)

You should send that to Toady or post it when done, if you didn't plan to already.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 04:56:33 pm »

You should send that to Toady or post it when done, if you didn't plan to already.

I plan to, I've already got a modded file with most of the obvious colors done for the metals, and most of the really obvious colors for the gems (like EMERALD and AMETHYST). I've only done a few so far out of the ones whose names aren't also the names of colors defined in the raws however.

Here's the metals so far. The stuff that I've added is followed by the word "added". When I finish it I'll start a seperate thread for it.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 05:56:09 pm »

BTW, I also slightly bumped up a couple of the MAX_EDGE values in that file as well.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 06:18:28 pm »

Getting back on topic. Here's a copy of the layer stone raws with the correct densities added in.

Spoiler: inorganic_stone_layer (click to show/hide)

Edit: Fixed line break errors
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 06:58:48 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 06:21:56 pm »

The forum ate a bit of that file or something (look at "reaction class" near the end).

Also, I noticed that some of the density values were off.  Way off.  So I corrected some of them.  Those that were within a reasonable range, though, I left alone.  One thing I'm less sure of are the gypsum-family values.  I notice that I got 2300 or so for all of mine, but the raws show 2700.  I don't know which is better, honestly.  And different sources can give you values that are several hundred different, so it's not like i can say it's "wrong", either.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 06:55:00 pm »

Getting back on topic. Here's a copy of the mineral raws with the correct densities added in.

What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 07:04:57 pm »

The forum ate a bit of that file or something (look at "reaction class" near the end).

Also, I noticed that some of the density values were off.  Way off.  So I corrected some of them.  Those that were within a reasonable range, though, I left alone.  One thing I'm less sure of are the gypsum-family values.  I notice that I got 2300 or so for all of mine, but the raws show 2700.  I don't know which is better, honestly.  And different sources can give you values that are several hundred different, so it's not like i can say it's "wrong", either.

Thanks for pointing that out. That's an error that happens sometimes when I copy and paste from wordpad when the text wrap is turned on. it should be fixed now.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 07:20:50 pm »

I now know why dwarves go berserk when a masterwork is destroyed.

After correcting all those raws, including soil & gemstones, a careless action caused me to delete them all :(

I tried to rename a folder to the same name.  It caused my files to go to the trash.  I didn't read the error.  I saw my recycle bin had trash in it and emptied it without thinking.

Yeah, it *had* to delete the modified files.

*goes berserk*

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 08:11:21 pm »

I plan to, I've already got a modded file with most of the obvious colors done for the metals, and most of the really obvious colors for the gems (like EMERALD and AMETHYST). I've only done a few so far out of the ones whose names aren't also the names of colors defined in the raws however.

Here's the metals so far. The stuff that I've added is followed by the word "added". When I finish it I'll start a seperate thread for it.

With the gemstones, however, i'm having some difficulty, as many of them come in more than one color and/or have multiple colors in the same gem (such as the case with moss agate and bloodstone).
Additionally, I am aware that some of the gems (not counting the major ones such as emerald and amethyst where the color is obviously named for the gem) whose names include colors may be misleadingly named. For example, I initially had Bloodstones listed as being HELIOTROPE, as "heliotrope" is another name for Bloodstone, but it turns out, however, that the color heliotrope is named for the heliotrope plant, not the gemstone. (Similarly, it has also come to my attention that black onyx is not really the most common type of onyx; should I make the basic common ornamental grade of onyx black anyway?)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:14:44 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 09:33:20 pm »

I'm doing better with gemstones, because I have more data.  It helps if you know that they can be divided up into families.  I'm going to try to extract your colors and insert them into my work in progress.

Also, I found that the data for tanzanite is wrong.  There's a note saying it's uncertain and my research shows that tanzanite should occur in metamorphic layers (currently, it's only in gabbro).  Of course, it should also be rare because it's only from one part of the world IRL, so go figure.  I will fix its location in my copy.

And thanks, your copies of this helped a lot after I lost some things.  However, you missed the fact that some of the values in there are wrong (for example, lignite should be less dense; also a few things like ilmenite are WAY too low).  I'll put my copy up on DFFD when I'm done merging in your stuff with other updated research that I haven't posted.

EDIT:  Bohandas, it ate your gemstone file again.  Those raws don't look right at all.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:52:52 pm by Uristocrat »

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 09:56:17 pm »

Yeah, I would agree with making gem onyx black.  I actually have some onyx dice that are green, but I've always seen black as the gem version.

Oh, and here's a table that divides up most of the gems in DF into a few categories (there are only 8 holdouts, and I'm not 100% sure that some of them don't fit into one of these categories; I should check):

QUARTZAmethyst, agates, aventurine, bloodstone, carnelian, citrine, chalcedonies, chrysoprase, jaspers, morion, onyx, prase, quartzes, sard, sardonyx, tiger eye
DIAMONDSDiamonds
JADESJades
OPALSOpals
FELDSPARSMoonstone, Sunstone
TOURMALINESTourmalines
ZIRCONSZircons
GARNETSGarnets, pyropes, melanite, demantoid, topazolite, grossulars / tsavorite, almandine, rhodolite, spessartines
BERYLSBeryls, heliodor, aquamarine, emerald, goshenite, morganite
CHRYSOBERYLSChrysoberyl, alexandrite, cat's eye
SPINELSSpinels, rubicelle
CORUNDUMSRuby, sapphire
OTHERSSchorl, variscite, chrysocolla, tiger iron, pyrite, peridot, tanzanite, kunzite

If it's not clear, when I say "agates" I mean pretty much everything with the name (something) agate.  I think there's only one place this is confusing, jasper opal (which is an opal).  Oh, and prase opal (which is also an opal).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:33:53 pm by Uristocrat »

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 03:41:06 pm »

Did some major edits to the first post, adding a lot of my research and information about my research methods.  Google is now even giving me guesses about the specific gravity of various minerals.  I didn't do that many searches to convince them to add something like that... did I?  Very useful, though.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 05:39:52 pm by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8