Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Author Topic: You have found..  (Read 143233 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: You have found..
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2011, 04:02:23 am »

awesome story!

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2011, 04:06:48 am »

I had come to a split in the path, one going right and another going left. Both were equally as ominous and horrible, so the decision was not an easy one. First I decided to try right, as I had always heard you should choose the way of your dominant hand. It wasn't long before I came upon a double door, charred and broken. Quickly I rushed inside, and surveyed the room. Beds lay everywhere among cracked tables. Chests and cabinets were smashed, and their contents in the open... thread, cloths, splints.. the hospital. It seemed to have suffered greatly, a pile of bones in the far corner. I was lost in my thoughts of what had happened when I heard a shriek form the hall behind me, snapping me back to reality. Quickly I set my shield and axe aside, and grabbed the nearest bed. Muscles bulged powerfully as the bed was pushed towards the broken doors, wedging it against the opening. A second was placed atop that, and the largest, nearest pieces of broken stone tables set against the bottom to help hold it steady. The adrenaline was still pumping strong, and my heart hamering against the inside of my breastplate. Another shriek, this one much louder, and much closer. The beds shifted suddenly as there was a strike against the door, but the makeshift barricade held. A second followed, then a third, but then nothing. I remained silent, holding my breath as I peeked through the rubble.

Clawed feet dragged across the ground. The bipedal lizard, and the dimetrodon, with an axe embedded in it's shoulder, were just outside the door, trying to see in, and snapping at each other when they got too close. I was concerned they could smell my scent, if not my fear, but I was relieved when there was another sound from deeper in the fortress, causing both demons to answer with growls and take off into the dark. I allowed myself a breath, and collapsed onto the floor. It seemed within minutes, six of my kin had fallen. What was here could stay here, Dragonwork be damned! If I managed to make it out of here, I would tell the king himself that if he wanted this place so badly, he could come get it himself.  I grabbed my shield and axe, and felt somewhat comforted by their weight in my arms. Maybe, if I was careful, I would make it out of here. Obok's sacrifice would not have been in vain. No.. I would make it out, I would survive.

There was a heavy thump form outside, and another, and another. Footsteps. I brought my shield before me, and backed away from the barricade, emerald eyes locked on the portal. Silence. Quickly, I glanced around to see if I had an escape. There was a darkness to the south, but it was probably the storage room for the hospital. There were no other entrances. I had barely placed my gaze back onto the entrance, when the barricade exploded.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2011, 04:17:12 am »

Pieces of wood and stoned slammed into me as the barricade was demolished in one strike. I'd caught was looked like a fist before a chunk of table slammed into my copper chestplate, sending me sprawling onto the floor. I gasped for air, and glanced at where the barricade was. Two huge bronze arms reached within, grabbing the walls themselves and breaking them apart, stone crumbling in the huge hands. I dropped my axe and shield, and quickly removed my breastplate so that I could breath. I took several huge gulps of steadying air, and watched in horror as a dreaded bronze colossus stepped within the room. It's dead gaze scanned the area, and locked on me. It's emotionless face seemed to pause upon me, and if considering whether or not I was even a threat. I glanced down at my crushed armour, my dented shield, and chipped axe. Then I gazed upon the mightiest foe I had ever seen, before me. A grim acknowledgement settled upon my broad shoulders.

My hand gripped the leatherbound grip upon my axe. With deliberate calm I pulled the leather straps around my arm on my shield. I stood, and squared my shoulders.

"I be Rigoth Fokerthikut, Axeman of the Mountainhomes. I may meet death, ye foul goblin-brained git, but I ain't goin' down without a fight!" I yelled,  and slammed the flat of my axe against my shield. The colossus roared and slammed it's fist into it's hand, a loud clang of metal on metal. I charged, raising my shield and readying my axe.

It swung it's fist, and I dodged left, the powerful blow slamming a hole into the ground. I struck twice with my axe against the embedded limb but my blows merely glanced off it's metallic skin. It swatted at me, but I raised my shield and took the brunt of the blow against it. My arm instantly went numb, and my head rang, wracked with pain. The colossus raised it's leg, and struck out with a powerful kick, catching me in the chest and breaking a few of my ribs. I hit the wall and slumped, spitting teeth and blood. The world swam and blurred, and I could no longer see as my vision clouded. I could feel the powerful presence of the creature above me, and for a moment I thought I was flying. The colossus had grabbed me by the front of my tunic, lifting me off the ground. My shield and axe clanged against the ground as they fell form my weakened grasp. The beast leaned in, and I swear I thought I saw it smile.

''Remember... losing is fun...'' it growled, and the last thing I saw was a bronze fist, speeding towards me.
Legacy of Insightshields

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2011, 04:32:38 am »

And with that, my first re-embark was demolished in less than 5 minutes. It was dramatized, but that's pretty much what happened. Demons randomly ripped the civilianzs to shreds after I ent my two miltiary dwarves in tot he main hall, they fought, I lost one, the remaining dwarf retreat to the hospital, only to be met by the bronze colossus I let out before the fortress fell. Rigoth was right, that was doomed from the start.
Legacy of Insightshields

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2011, 06:48:40 am »

Epic, thats all Im saying.
This makes me want to play fortress mode...
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

SanctaIra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2011, 09:49:37 am »

I enjoyed reading this, thanks for sharing it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2011, 11:29:45 am »

That was a good read.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2011, 12:51:10 pm »

Haha, thanks. I had been up all night, just got into it. Thought it was silly when I first started writing it out. x.x
Legacy of Insightshields

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2011, 02:12:13 pm »

There is something so raw and real about the stories this game generates, it makes writing about it almost a compulsion for some. Beautiful story, well written, not silly at all. Put it all together, give it a quick edit, and put it up on Dwarf Fortress Stories: http://dfstories.com/ People love to read these kinds of stories, they see them and go, "No way... that can't really happen in a video game, can it? Not by random chance, anyway, it's too freaking epic! I must play this game. (or "I must get good enough at this game that I can get to see stories like that")" Because we're so used to cliched stories in video games, where the hero always has some way of winning. It hits you like George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" does when he (SPOILER ALERT) starts offing sympathetic, heroic main characters pretty much right from the get-go. Anything can happen, that is what makes it Fun!

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2011, 04:54:49 pm »

D'aw. This was written when I'd been up all night and had barely any slepe the night before. It's not that good, I promise. lol.
Legacy of Insightshields

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2011, 09:56:10 pm »

I have a military of 40 dwarves training, just waiting for an epic battle for them to get into.

I, good sir, am jealous of both your epic battle and writing skills.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2011, 10:41:03 pm »

yeah I had found the sword, it's a swordsword

What exactly is a swordsword?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2011, 10:51:13 pm »

A sword that has another sword tied to the blade.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2011, 10:58:48 pm »

A sword that has another sword tied to the blade.

Next level weaponry.

Like sword-chucks.
Legacy of Insightshields

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2011, 11:41:53 pm »

Next step, create a demi-god adventurer train him up a bit and unleash him on the fort with his 19 friends. Try to find a good quality iron two-handed for killing the colossus.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:45:25 pm by Dwarfoloid »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18