Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Migrants stuck on edge of map  (Read 49394 times)

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
Migrants stuck on edge of map
« on: November 19, 2007, 11:35:00 pm »

Kay, so I get a message that I have migrants incoming, right? I get all happy and yay, but boo because I soon figure out that... They... aren't moving... They are stuck at the edge of the screen, waiting for who knows what with their "no job" tags. Slackers.

I managed to get ONE to move, but just because he was a craftsdwarf and my craftsdwarf workshop was empty. Now a NEW one is stuck at the edge and I have no clue how to get them to move.

If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Migrants stuck on edge of map
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 11:37:00 pm »

i had that happen but i added a meeting area and set it to active, and they all came a'runnin'

so try designating a meeting area~

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 11:47:00 pm »

Okay... I tried designating a meeting area. Right outside. Next to the entrance of my fort. :| They still seem to not want to come. It's starting to get kind of annoying. :P

Only so much this girl can take before she starts beating her dwarves... I'll make them forge the weapons I use to slaughter themselves... GET INTO THE FORT! >.<

[EDIT]
Oh, and I'm using version 0.27.169.33a
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
I just tried using my current saves on 0.27.169.33b and, even with the meeting area set and a meeting hall set, the migrants just don't want to move.
[/EDIT2]

[ November 20, 2007: Message edited by: Zombie ]

If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 02:32:00 am »

So, I somehow fixed it... I updated to 33b, first off...

Then I had meeting zones set, but the dwarf that was stuck in the migrant spawn just kinda... Stayed there... So I turned on stone gathering, hoping he'd budge to help cart stone around... And he did!

Oddly enough, after that all the dwarves filed out. I checked their jobs and each one that came out had that greyish X on them and "No Job" in the Gen menu. So I don't know what to think.

Frugal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 09:16:00 am »

A dark grey flashing X means the dwarf is still not 'at home', so to speak.  They won't do any work, and will instead make their way into what they consider to be your fortress.  Designating a meeting area is usually enough to get them heading towards the right location- otherwise I think they go to where your caravan first spawned.  If the caravan's arrival location has been mined out or is otherwise unpathable, it's likely that migrants would be confused without a meeting area.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 04:05:00 pm »

Okay... That kind of makes sense. My fortress and wagon location were really far apart.

If I build a road to an edge of a map, will they spawn there instead?

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 04:15:00 pm »

I have the same problem, but I never designate a meeting place because I want my dwarves to work, not to party. I'll try to designate a meeting place when the new wave of immigrants arrive to see if it solve the matter.
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 04:23:00 pm »

Dwarves only party in room designations, not zone designations.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 04:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zombie:
<STRONG>If I build a road to an edge of a map, will they spawn there instead?</STRONG>
Nope. All roads are good for is ensuring that no trees grow up in the way so caravans are guaranteed access.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

ProfessorMoriarty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 11:48:24 pm »

Bump for hopefully answering this to anyone also having this problem. Firstly, I figured I'd check the Depot Access to the gathering site and what do you know; that area is labeled as unavailable :P. built a bridge over a river and they all came home :D.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 03:45:04 am »

I've also had this issue.  Clear path to my fort.

My solution has been to set my civilians on alert which is restricted to my burrow that encompasses my entire fort.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 05:02:26 am »

Gosh guys, good job necroing this old thread...

*EDIT* Oh, looks like this part of the forum is full of people like you.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:06:08 am by Sigulbard »

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 11:59:13 am »

I hate to bump a 7 year old thread, but something similar happened to me just recently.

Rather, I got a wave of 3 migrants I believe were from a fort I had abandoned, they showed up on the other side of a river, blinked like recent migrants and even showed up on DF therapist. Once they stopped blinking they acted like friendly npcs, disappeared from DF therapist and stayed on the edge of the screen. They had the custom profession 'conscript' I assigned to general labor in my old fort.

Pretty sure this is current bug/ broken feature.

PatientRock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 04:07:28 pm »

I've often had this problem with traders coming in with migrant waves. They enter the screen and block the rest of the migrants from coming in. One solution I've found is to set a kill order on one of them and right when the squad gets close, cancel it. It usually chases off the stuck Dwarf and everyone starts coming in again.
I am expert at Giant Badger training.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 01:32:05 pm »

Are they stuck at the edge-edge, or just close to the edge? Because this could just be as simple as not having a cart or a meeting area. If they don't have a meeting area, they have nowhere to meet up with each other. Instead they idle at the edge of the map until their migration status has cleared and they need to fulfill a need or a job. If they've already arrived at the map, setting a meeting zone won't help them until they get cleared of their flashing gray X migrant status.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.
Pages: [1] 2