Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My July 2011 DF Noob Experience  (Read 2721 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: My July 2011 DF Noob Experience
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 12:53:46 pm »

So, emboldened by your responses, I went another 5 rounds with Worldgen, and managed to get 60 layers of non-hollow/non-magma adamantine underneath my volcano-forest-river 3x3 embarkation area.  dfreveal and dfprospector were immensely helpful.  At least now I know I -can- reach my goal of adamantine without the magma sea gobbling it all up.

Along the way, while searching for the promised land, I embarked on a spot that had a volcano/lava tube with no walls, above ground.  It immediately began to "fall" (ooze) down towards the ground, the wagon, and all the dwarves.  Let's just say there wasn't enough time to dig to an escape, and I got to see a wagon go up in smoke!

I've looked into the random dwarves dying to thirst, and the most likely explanation is an unsatisfied 'taken' mood.  Those happen about as infrequently as the dying thirst, so I think that's what is doing it.

Regarding the cage traps, I'll definitely take another run at it, the problem i was having was that the dwarves simply wouldn't pick them up and move them, ever, regardless of what I told them.  And yes, traps!  This fortress will have traps...  Shiny spinning stabbing foyers of doom. 8)

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 01:43:26 pm »

You can set animal stockpiles to accept empty cages. One of DF's many non intuitive features.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 06:11:59 pm »

Worried about no iron/copper? The Goblins take care of it, sending it in packs of helmets and mail shirts! Weapons too if you are lucky. You only need to take them away from the goblins that are sending it to you and melt them in the smelter!  :)

d-b-m works a lot. you only need fuel for the smelter for free iron!
Pages: 1 [2]