Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oddly dead creatures?  (Read 2395 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oddly dead creatures?
« on: July 21, 2011, 08:42:46 pm »

My "unit" screen lists ~20 dead Ant Men, and a dead....something. Weird name. Help?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: Oddly dead creatures?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 08:44:10 pm »

Caverns.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 08:45:06 pm »

Caverns.
I know. I'm in the cavern, but I don't see any bodies. What happened?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 08:47:30 pm »

"Weird name" gives us so much info...  What is the name?  Are you running mods?  Screenshots maybe?  We need more to go on here!

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 08:50:06 pm »

Caverns.
I know. I'm in the cavern, but I don't see any bodies. What happened?
sometimes, forgotten beasts happen.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 08:56:47 pm »

And sometimes animal men happen to forgotten beasts and vice versa.
You probably just got some giant ass monster or something spawn near an antmen colony and they killed eachoter. It happens more often than you'd think.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 09:13:15 pm »

sometimes i find friendly and hostile antmen, and so in my unit screen they fight eachother, and antmen will randomly seek out and kill monsters.. its very wtf.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 09:17:48 pm »

You probably just got some giant ass monster or something spawn near an antmen colony and they killed eachoter. It happens more often than you'd think.
I'm almost certain that's what happened.

Also, can certain underground civs be friendly?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 09:23:13 pm »

from the post above yours, i'd think it were true.

i dont know myself, i've never had any animal people in my cavers, as yet.

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 09:26:28 pm »

Yeah.  But from my experience, it doesn't mean much... they just sit there and don't attack (and don't interrupt jobs if someone gets near them).  It would be neat if they'd come up and hang out for a bit, maybe have Squanto-like relationships with dwarves.

Correct me if I'm wrong.  I've only seen friendly undergroundpersons like 2 or 3 times.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 09:36:03 pm »

Yeah.  But from my experience, it doesn't mean much... they just sit there and don't attack (and don't interrupt jobs if someone gets near them).  It would be neat if they'd come up and hang out for a bit, maybe have Squanto-like relationships with dwarves.

Correct me if I'm wrong.  I've only seen friendly undergroundpersons like 2 or 3 times.
that'd be a neat thing for diplomacy.  perhaps instead of caravans, you can offer them goods, and they can somehow provide services.... anything from being hired as guards to providing lessons, not unlike military demonstrations, for the civilian skills they know. 

perhaps they can set limits to what you can gather from their cavern, much like elves.  perhaps they can object to building or completing jobs in their territory.  they might even ask for help against a hostile animalperson civ or FB, and give gifts if saved.  perhaps they can somehow participate in the dwarven economy, when it is re-implemented.

do animalmen speak?  can they learn?

if neither, perhaps the dwarves can learn some sort of nonverbal communication to interact with them, as i am almost certain they count as sentients.  this may lead to interesting developments as the dwarves make some sort of faux-pas while learning to communicate.

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 11:19:43 pm »

that'd be a neat thing for diplomacy.  perhaps instead of caravans, you can offer them goods, and they can somehow provide services.... anything from being hired as guards to providing lessons, not unlike military demonstrations, for the civilian skills they know. 

perhaps they can set limits to what you can gather from their cavern, much like elves.  perhaps they can object to building or completing jobs in their territory.  they might even ask for help against a hostile animalperson civ or FB, and give gifts if saved.  perhaps they can somehow participate in the dwarven economy, when it is re-implemented.

if neither, perhaps the dwarves can learn some sort of nonverbal communication to interact with them, as i am almost certain they count as sentients.  this may lead to interesting developments as the dwarves make some sort of faux-pas while learning to communicate.

More likely, we would keep pushing them further and further to the left of the embark as the fortress expanded, until they were crammed into little fenced in areas in the middle of our fortress. Then we'd figure out that their bones are worth extra and figure out a way to farm them. All while they sadly and hopelessly repeated the gesture for "Hello" and offered us desperately reduced prices for lessons in potash making.
This is to make me recognizable.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 12:56:38 am »

I'm pretty sure that animalmen count as sentient creatures and that you can't butcher them  :P

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 01:21:18 am »

Nope, they start out hostile. But, they fight forgotten beasts, and if they're able to kill the beast, they become friendly to the fort above, and if there are other hostile cavern civvies, they will kill them, starting a loyalty cascade of sorts.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 02:44:55 am »

Just so you know elves no longer set limits for tree harvesting in the current version. The idea of having them as a second class citizen would be fun though.