Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Random Creature Generator  (Read 51076 times)

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
Re: Random Creature Generator
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2011, 09:43:32 am »

Tripedal creatures are a must. and creatures which float using gasbags

Because, you know, no realistic creature generator would be complete without the ability to generate unrealistic creatures.

Kangaroos walk tripodally when they aren't running fast.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2011, 09:44:53 am »

Because, you know, no realistic creature generator would be complete without the ability to generate unrealistic creatures.

Yeah, but their third 'leg' is actually their tail...

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2011, 09:46:10 am »

On evil tundra, glacier and general Freezing biomes, add Simulacrum undead creatures. They're creatures made of Ice that resemble an animal or humanoid, or maybe even a titan or FB. On death they would leave a chunk of ice, like the Blizzard Man. Took that from Dungeon Crawl :P

Of course, it would be kinda away from the concept of realistic animals, but hey! We don't have enough undead creatures :D

He was talking about the gas-floating pokemon.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2011, 09:54:00 am »

Don't get me wrong, gas-bladder levitation is super cool, and I see no reason why a true tripod couldn't work in real life. But none have evolved so far (as far as I am aware), so I'm not sure how realistic it is.

That said, it is of course Girlinhat's project, so she can do whatever she wants. A horror-creature generator is a cool side-option, which would allow all sorts of fun things that wouldn't fit into an Earth-like environment. A recursive-mouthed snake with three dorsal arms and a single foot with no leg whose toes are actually limbs with feet, for example.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2011, 09:54:40 am »

Don't get me wrong, gas-bladder levitation is super cool, and I see no reason why a true tripod couldn't work in real life. But none have evolved so far (as far as I am aware), so I'm not sure how realistic it is.

That said, it is of course Girlinhat's project, so she can do whatever she wants. A horror-creature generator is a cool side-option, which would allow all sorts of fun things that wouldn't fit into an Earth-like environment. A recursive-mouthed snake with three dorsal arms and a single foot with no leg whose toes are actually limbs with feet, for example.

Thank you for filling up my nightmare fuel tank... ::)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2011, 10:09:40 am »

Branching limbs is for the demon generator, already planned.  That one will basically take your average FB or Night Creature, do you one better, and make them roam in packs.  This one is for people who are tired of macaque and wolves, and want to see some interesting wildlife.

Sadly you cannot add true undead creatures, like zombies and skeletons, but you can make creatures that resemble the undead, like have a creature that has organs that don't actually function.  You can pierce the heart, but it won't matter.  Skeletons are also possible, but bone isn't the strongest material, so using copper or bronze for bones would give it a better feeling.  Their thin size makes them easy to smash.

Fish have gas-bladders, used for swimming up and down more easily, but that's a bit different.  The main thing is that floating has never been needed.  It's much easier to crawl somewhere, or fly with wings.  I think a large expanse of desert would promote the use of bladders though, similar to the way that vultures will glide for hours at a time, except much easier because you just float and stay there.

As a side-note, I was thinking about making "toy creatures", similar to "toy poodles".  These creatures would be high pet value, low birthrate, and easy to kill.  They'd have like, glass bones and paper skin, so any trauma just rips them apart, but you could breed them and sell them at a profit.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2011, 10:12:18 am »

Also: Pneumatic creatures. Instead of normal muscles, they have a fluid which can leak out if the muscles analouges are punctured.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2011, 10:15:59 am »

Also: Pneumatic creatures. Instead of normal muscles, they have a fluid which can leak out if the muscles analouges are punctured.

But to move the fluid they would need muscles... and not only one single heart.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2011, 10:16:20 am »

Pressure!

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2011, 10:18:38 am »

Violet Worms are pneumatic if I remember correctly.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2011, 10:20:20 am »

Pressure!

The heart is a muscle. Would the heart also run on pressurized fluid? What would pressurize that?

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2011, 10:37:17 am »

Pressure!

The heart is a muscle. Would the heart also run on pressurized fluid? What would pressurize that?
Clearly, these creatures would have a circular system of 5 heats that all pressurize each other and switch off running the rest of the body in tandem.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2011, 10:46:07 am »

From the dragon make the draconian, a giant-sized humanoid that has fire-breath and magma immunity(with green scales etc). Then make draconian packs roam the world like wolf packs, etc. Make a Cave Draconian with the same properties of the Cave Dragon adapted to the Draconian creature.(in this case, it would live in tribes like the trogs and similar creatures).

Also took that from DCSS. Let me see what else...
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2011, 10:47:25 am »

I am just posting to say that this is an awesome project. I hope it is finished, and best of luck to you, Girlinhat.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2011, 10:57:59 am »

From the dragon make the draconian, a giant-sized humanoid that has fire-breath and magma immunity(with green scales etc). Then make draconian packs roam the world like wolf packs, etc. Make a Cave Draconian with the same properties of the Cave Dragon adapted to the Draconian creature.(in this case, it would live in tribes like the trogs and similar creatures).

Also took that from DCSS. Let me see what else...
That doesn't sound very random, does it?
Also: Pneumatic creatures.
Sounds rather mechanical to me...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15