Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Density & Color Mod  (Read 5197 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Density & Color Mod
« on: March 21, 2011, 02:01:32 am »

I posted this density suggestion for Toady to steal and then it expanded until I posted the mod on DFFD.

Anyhow, I've verified that it won't crash and that things look pretty reasonable in game, but I'm posting it here to solicit comments, suggestions and improvements, especially with respect to the colors.  For some of them, I honestly wasn't happy with any of the colors listed on the wiki and I admit to not knowing much about modding.

For example, I really wish that bloodstone was dark green with red, but I'm not sure how that looks in game or what effects it has if you try to set background colors (by default, the background colors for gems all seem to be black... also, I discovered that they appear to be sorted by rarity, then color, for whatever reason).

Whatever the case may be, please feel free to use, improve or steal this mod for any reason.  Oh, and I left copies of the unmodified DF raws in there so that people could make a diff, on the theory that that would make it easy for people to merge the changes in this file in case they had made their own mods to those files.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:31:48 am by Uristocrat »
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Density & Color Mod
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 02:27:53 am »

Why for today only?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 02:32:37 am »

Why for today only?

Apparently my internal spellchecker malfunctioned and "corrected" what I intended to type.  I meant to write Toady.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 09:30:56 am »

Good morning!

I did some of this in my original MMO mod, and will be doing the same again when I get to the materials specs. I'll definitely look over your data and see how it compares to mine. If it's OK I'll steal anything that looks better than what I had (with full credit of course!) and include it in the next-gen MMO (in progress).

Rochndil, who got a lot of density info from his handy pocketref...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 01:40:50 pm »

Good morning!

I did some of this in my original MMO mod, and will be doing the same again when I get to the materials specs. I'll definitely look over your data and see how it compares to mine. If it's OK I'll steal anything that looks better than what I had (with full credit of course!) and include it in the next-gen MMO (in progress).

Rochndil, who got a lot of density info from his handy pocketref...

Enjoy the data :)  I think I linked up most of my sources either to the research thread, or in some cases, as comments in the raws themselves.  A lot of the gems are the same based on broad classifications (quartz gem, corundum, beryl, etc.).  I guess you could do more research to try and pin them down.  And you might want to check the gem colors for consistency.  Sometimes, there is no good color.

You'll also find that I corrected several densities in the raw (e.g. differentiating lignite from bituminous coal), or bumping up ilmenite considerably (it wasn't being given credit).  Wolfram Alpha is a good source, but you have to be careful of it's "input interpretation" ... sometimes it tries to pawn off a similar mineral on you.

Finally, you'll find HUGE ranges for some materials (e.g. pitchblende), not to mention that soils are highly variable.  I found one interesting source and used it to extrapolate the rest of the soil types, just to get some variation.  I'm sure that soils can range a LOT.  Interestingly, though it will probably never matter, it seems like the undersea soils are considerably more dense than normal ones, almost to the level of normal rocks.  And some things like peat vary greatly depending on water content.

Anyhow, feel free to use and improve the data.  And if you can, try to put out an updated version with any corrections or fixes you have.  I'm trying to keep this in a form where Toady can use it in DF, so I want to keep the data at least separate from any big mods.

Finally, as for credit, all I did was add non-creative, factual data.  Even the formatting is for purely technical reasons.  In short, I have no copyright interest in it whatsoever as far as I'm concerned.  Toady might, but I don't.  So crediting me is appreciated, but unnecessary :)

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 01:44:39 pm »

This is great and I think you should pm Toady about it  :)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 02:10:04 pm »

This is great and I think you should pm Toady about it  :)

I would, but I think he already knows?  I've posted about it so much that I don't want to spam people any more than I already have... :)  I mean, I made this mod for the sole purpose of providing Toady with the benefits of my research.  That said, I'm glad if it's useful to others and I do want more people looking through it, especially the colors, to make sure that things are reasonable.

I went to images.google.com and looked up so many gemstones and I Googled for so many specific gravities that Google started just telling me the specific gravity and asking me if the answer it calculated was reasonable....

I could swear that I practically got the equivalent of a geology class or two crammed into my head from doing all of this.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 02:27:31 pm »

Toady does read the forums, or at least someone using Toady's account :P

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 02:50:51 pm »

Toady does read the forums, or at least someone using Toady's account :P

I just sent him a better kind of spam that I hope he'll like more.  It's in a bright orange envelope, so he can't very well miss it.  The downside is that it probably won't arrive until the weekend :)

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 07:44:08 am »

It's funny,

I've got a Schuster rocks-and-minerals guide I read a few pages of before I go to bed each evening. Ongoing research for my MMO mod, so I know just what you mean about getting an unintended education in geology.

Rochndil, hoping to actually get some work done this week...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 05:07:38 pm »

It's funny,

I've got a Schuster rocks-and-minerals guide I read a few pages of before I go to bed each evening. Ongoing research for my MMO mod, so I know just what you mean about getting an unintended education in geology.

Rochndil, hoping to actually get some work done this week...

The funny thing is that I also started thinking about making sure there are pictures of stuff on the DF Wiki.  Then I realized that, if I had any photographic skill, I could photograph the following items (and probably several more) using only items in my room:  gold, silver, nickel, copper, tin, iron, brass, bronze, steel, bismuth, amethyst, rose quartz, rock crystal, quartz, mica, fortification agate, turquoise, amber, coral, onyx, obsidian, and pyrite.  If I could remember what all the other stuff is, or if I looked up some of the common rocks outside, or if I could find my tiger's eye (or even get samples at one of the zillion rock shops nearby), I could manage tons more.  And there should be diamonds, a garnet and maybe even an opal somewhere else in the house....