Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question on raw text files  (Read 812 times)

wizardofaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question on raw text files
« on: January 03, 2014, 11:38:46 am »

How many is too many? I ask mostly because on the one hand, my inner organizer thinks that splitting things up into manageable chunks (like reaction_buildingname, or creatures_fromthisworld) makes it easier to find and diagnose things as I meddle - and I'm working on various ideas that I want to try out for my personal game from bits and pieces of other mods - but it does make me wonder whether reading 400 creature text files is a much bigger problem than reading 40, for example, or just a minor impact compared to what else the game has going on.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Question on raw text files
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 11:45:43 am »

Eh, I split my files up, I don't think it is a problem.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 01:15:51 pm »

Reading the raws is miniscule in comparison to the scripts behind the game. It only takes a bit longer to gen a world, save and load. Thats it. You wont have any slow down, from having too many raws.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

wizardofaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 01:30:42 pm »

Alright, good to know!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:20:18 am »

Reading the raws is miniscule in comparison to the scripts behind the game. It only takes a bit longer to gen a world, save and load. Thats it. You wont have any slow down, from having too many raws.

Now, I disagree. A little while ago, I had a bit of a combinatorial explosion due to having 146 creatures with 30 castes each, which caused horrid slowdown during worldgen and used three times the RAM of DF.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 01:15:33 am »

takes a bit longer to gen a world

having 146 creatures with 30 castes each, which caused horrid slowdown during worldgen

I am sure wizardofaus is not going for 4500 creatures new creatures. ^^ He just wanted to split creature files with 10 creatures in it into 10 creature files with 1 creature in it. For about 400 creatures. Thats not new content, its just more files. The slowdown on worldgen with the 4500 creatures if because they are new and run around in that world, but if its the same amount of creatures, just more files, it shouldnt cause much of anything.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 05:35:08 pm »

Were all 146 creatures with 30 castes apiece in one RAW file?

Would your computer not attempt a muffled scream of the safe word through its drool-soaked gag with the same number of modded creatures all in one file or several?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 05:36:02 pm »

Were all 146 creatures with 30 castes apiece in one RAW file?

Would your computer not attempt a muffled scream of the safe word through its drool-soaked gag with the same number of modded creatures all in one file or several?

It's all the same regardless of how many files. They were all in one file. The file was only about 1.5 MB due to the wonders of creature variations.