Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 334767 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #1125 on: November 14, 2011, 10:00:17 am »

It would truly be a testament to MLP popularity if we got a modding mechanic to support cutie marks in the next version of DF.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: November 14, 2011, 10:20:50 am »

I'm brainstorming the idea of cutie marks... can you broadly define material classes or reaction classes in tissue templates? Instead of LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT? I'm stuck (at 1.something kilobytes/second) downloading OllyDbg to see what tags TISSUE_MATERIAL accepts, because just opening the exe as text doesn't show everything.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: November 14, 2011, 10:27:50 am »

Check out the material tokens page on the wiki. Basically you can use a local material, you can use a material from a given plant/animal, you can get the material from the reagent (which wouldn't work in defining tissues), or you can use a single broader category from the material token page, such as COAL, INORGANIC, or WATER that can then be followed by an additional subtype to define the exact material.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: November 14, 2011, 11:56:32 am »

I just had my legendary cook whip up some dough using crimson banana flour, pink finger lime wine, giant capybara tallow, dwarven sugar, swarven syrup and a some hen eggs, then use it to make statues. 48 crimson banana gateau statues, with values ranging from ☼10,000 to ☼60,000, but most of them were exceptional and valued at ☼25000, which is more than any artifact this fort has seen is worth. One of the masterworks was of one of my stonecrafters lifting an awesome mug, which I quite liked. The whole stack doubled my fort's value instantly, and my military is comprised of nine guys who aren't even fully armoured quite yet, yet alone ready to take on four or five years worth of Goblin Diomedian Christmases come early. Currently my plan is to have the miners frantically dig out the soil layer so I can get all the animals inside without them starving, while the rest of the fort splits up into carpenters erecting a giant wooden shell around the fort, and woodcrafters transforming every last scrap of vegetable matter into wood for them to use. Oh, and I've given orders to put up the statues throughout the fort, that should kick my architectural value up a bit.

So, yields and material values for doughs are probably going to get rebalanced, or the rarer ents are going to get much, much rarer and more expensive. I think I'll do a bit of both. It shouldn't have to be anything too huge, just enough make you work for the ability to churn out cake statues that are worth more than platinum.

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ult1mara's Let's Plays and reviews
« Reply #1129 on: November 14, 2011, 12:37:38 pm »

Ultimara, looks like you're off to a good start. Are we going to get a good look at the descriptions in later videos? I'm curious about which caste I turned out as. And Muffinstyle is a pretty boss surname fpr a pony.

Yes there will be a video solely put into looking into more depth of the Ponies in a later video, probably about video 8 or so. I have recorded upto video 7 lol so i'll maybe do it next time I record ^_^

And lol thats fun to know :P
The local scottish drunken dwarf
Dwarf Fortress Mod Reviews
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84405.0

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: November 14, 2011, 12:40:20 pm »

*massive facehoof*

Okay, so i got the first encounter with the Dark Voice (an ambush).
-The hydralisks didn't have the ranged weapon, despite having the profession and [EQUIPS]. Although they do know how to use these scythes.
-The chitin doesn't protect from, like, anything (anypony's chitin, including Blade Ponies). Although I thought I made it thick enough.
Help? Pls?

Spoiler: Dark Voice entity (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dark Voice reactions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dark Voice creatures (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: zerg body detail plan (click to show/hide)

[edit] And their bones are just bones instead of zergchitin. What.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:05:39 pm by Valikdu »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: November 14, 2011, 02:47:38 pm »

Firstly:

Give the hydralisks a syndrome-based attack.
Make it thicker.
Take out any references to bones, replace with zerg chitin.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: November 14, 2011, 03:52:54 pm »

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: November 14, 2011, 05:42:20 pm »

Here's another idea.

You could call the standard pony civilization "The Solar Empire" and make the rainbow civilization "The Lunar Republic". Would be way cooler names and it would help give an identity to the otherwise chaos that is rainbow ponies. Now they would be the civilization of freedom where every pony kind can turn a new leaf and get their chance at prosperity.

Kind of flashes them out more, gives them an identity, if thats what you want to go for.

EDIT: It would also give more credence to the title "Slaves to Celestia"
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 06:07:55 pm by Vandala »
Working on the "Dwarf Fortress Mod Creation Kit"
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102881.0

GO BUY STARFARER NOW!!!! It's crazy awesome!
http://fractalsoftworks.com/

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: November 14, 2011, 05:45:39 pm »

about the only way we are likely to get cutie marks working properly is if toady decides to further implement heraldry, we've already got symbols for groups, just need to extend that to notable individuals, and make their profession influence the choice of symbol.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: November 14, 2011, 08:16:21 pm »

At the moment, however, it would be possible to just have a shitload of castes for each Cutie Mark group, seeing how something like a bladed weapon could be Weaponsmithing, Fighting, or any of the bladed weapon skills, for example.

It'd be bulky, bloated, and overcomplicated, but it'd work.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: November 14, 2011, 10:37:05 pm »

Can I have this mod work with the Wanderer's Friend mod? If not, what adjustments should I make?

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: November 14, 2011, 10:48:40 pm »

Still working on writing that piece, but got some questions.
This is an part of it:

New armor for pony creatures:
    Peytral - Chest armor for ponies.
    Crupper - Armor for the pony flank. (Protect your plot!)
    Chanfron - Your basic pony helmet.
    Caparisons - A cloth cover often used in conjunction with other pony armor. It's usually worn over other pieces of armor to hide how much of it is actually worn. The higher the status of the owner the more beautiful and elaborate it's design.
    Bandanas - Unicorn only item, horn armor item. (necessary to please dwarf fortress)
    Hankies - Pony item, mouth armor item. (necessary to please dwarf fortress)
    Umbrella Hat - A pinkie invention. You know you want one!

PROBLEMS:
1st: A possible spelling mistake: Chanfron (as copyed from the raw file), wikipedia however calls it Chamfron, with an m.
2nd: I took some liberty with the Caparisons description which may not reflect dwarf fortress reality. Let me know if it's ok or not.
3dr: I'm not sure about the Bandanas and Hankies, read a long while back that they are for the grasping appendages on the pony creatures so I just put down "necessary to please dwarf fortress"

EDIT: I've yet to see any Alfalfa or beet pulp foods in the game, might be nice to have. Found some info here:
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/hrs3243

EDIT: The [HARD],[METAL],[SOFT],[LEATHER],[BARRED],[SCALED] captions under each armor item, are these just properties the armor has or are these the different variations of the item that can be made?

EDIT: Also, a question: what's with the creature tanks? I don't get this, is this a reference? To what?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 11:39:50 pm by Vandala »
Working on the "Dwarf Fortress Mod Creation Kit"
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102881.0

GO BUY STARFARER NOW!!!! It's crazy awesome!
http://fractalsoftworks.com/

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: November 14, 2011, 11:51:42 pm »

You could call the standard pony civilization "The Solar Empire" and make the rainbow civilization "The Lunar Republic". Would be way cooler names and it would help give an identity to the otherwise chaos that is rainbow ponies. Now they would be the civilization of freedom where every pony kind can turn a new leaf and get their chance at prosperity.

Hello, headcannon. How are you today?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: November 15, 2011, 12:24:41 am »

Finally downloaded the new version and I'm giving it a go with a new fort.  Looks good so far, I've taken back my comments about the castes before.  I think it's a reasonable extrapolation of what we know, and without it the ponies do seem sort of too special.  I've noticed a couple of oddities though: seems that overwhelming majority of the pegasi I get are solid black.  I noticed this in my previous fort too.  I kind of dug through the raws to mod a few other things, but didn't see a cause.  I dunno.  Other thing I noticed is that I haven't gotten any ents with migrant waves yet.  Maybe I'm just unlucky.

This fort is turning out to be a lot more interesting than my last fort for a number of reasons.  First off, I'm trying a primarily above ground fort since that seems more pony like than digging way underground (although I do have a quarry).  Things are progressing much more slowly, as expected when you're working primarily with wood.

Secondly, this is my first experience with kobold like things, since I never played 40d and kobolds are bugged and die off now.  The diamond dogs haven't done much yet, but they've been showing up with worrying frequency.  I read back some pages that they were actual dog sized, so they're not that dangerous right?

If this fort makes it a little longer, I was considering posting a thread in the stories board tracking its progress.  Not sure I want to make it a community fort though, since the Glitterglen fort still seems to be going strong.  A pretty entertaining read, that thread is.

In other news, new comic up: My Little Fortress: Fluttershy  Meh, Celestia's should be much more interesting.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 140