Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 336116 times)

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #736 on: October 22, 2011, 12:54:46 am »

Ehm.
seems like my fortress falls to... lags. I chose a 6x6 embark, so now with about 220 ponies and countless garbage items (which i TRIED to smash with a D.A.S. but it doesn't bloody work) the game slows down a lot. Even though I have an i7-2600.

Question: will there be less wild animals on a smaller embark? And which size should I take?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: October 22, 2011, 01:38:35 am »

This mod makes me jelly

I jelly

so jelly

my jealously rages to the heavens

"why can't my fanbase-who-has-a-large-group-of-haters love their mod as much"

maybe it's because this mod is such quality work while mine sucks

but that's the author speaking

and the author happens to be one who thinks everything he makes sucks (does my mod suck? I think it would be good to know if it did >_>)

DarkGenesis

• Bay Watcher
  • Darkness Shall Rise
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: October 22, 2011, 03:04:54 am »

50 pages of this waffle, that's just crazy.
You should have known this would happen eventually, look how the fanbase for the show exploded out of nowhere. But congratulations! Here's hoping to more ponies and more cupcakes!

Ehm.
seems like my fortress falls to... lags. I chose a 6x6 embark, so now with about 220 ponies and countless garbage items (which i TRIED to smash with a D.A.S. but it doesn't bloody work) the game slows down a lot. Even though I have an i7-2600.

Question: will there be less wild animals on a smaller embark? And which size should I take?

This is a problem even with the normal game, the game keeps track of lots of thing. You have 220 ponies, it keeps track of each ponies items, each bit of mud/dirt/water/blood/etc covering each ponies part of the body, it drags the dirt/blood/whatnot from those ponies, it has to calculate pathfinding for each of those ponies. It gets quite hectic and there are a ton of stuff it's constantly tracking and processing that I didn't mention as well. In fact last I checked the game warns you about any embark size larger than 4x4 will slow the framerate, though I haven't embarked larger than 4x4 in a LONG time.

Try 4x4, the default, and you should have practically no problem unless you decide to make a huge waterfall or lavafall or something. I personally play on 2x2 and I've only ever seen the framerate drop when ice thaws or when I dropped a 10x10x5 plug into an aquifer(good times). But the reason for 2x2 is because I also like to play on flat maps and be able to see the entire map on my screen and thus notice anything that wanders in from the edges.

This mod makes me jelly

I jelly

so jelly

my jealously rages to the heavens

"why can't my fanbase-who-has-a-large-group-of-haters love their mod as much"

maybe it's because this mod is such quality work while mine sucks

but that's the author speaking

and the author happens to be one who thinks everything he makes sucks (does my mod suck? I think it would be good to know if it did >_>)

Because Ponies>Trolls.
Also it may be my inner-cynic talking but this seems like a shameless plug to try get more traffic to your mod.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 03:18:23 am by DarkGenesis »

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: October 22, 2011, 03:59:14 am »

Try 4x4, the default, and you should have practically no problem unless you decide to make a huge waterfall or lavafall or something. I personally play on 2x2 and I've only ever seen the framerate drop when ice thaws or when I dropped a 10x10x5 plug into an aquifer(good times). But the reason for 2x2 is because I also like to play on flat maps and be able to see the entire map on my screen and thus notice anything that wanders in from the edges.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Next question: any way to increase the probability of a semimegabeast attack? Because I don't see a frequency tag in their code.

...and yes, I'm trying to make new creatures now. That's probably the next stage of the DF syndrome.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: October 22, 2011, 05:30:01 am »

...Okay, here is my (half-assed, probably) attempt at making a creature.

Spoiler: Body (click to show/hide)

I intend it to be more of a menace than the standard SM-beasts. Did some arena tests (against the standard ones); the scythes seem to be quite effective in combat, but they have a tendency to be severed by blunt attacks :/ How do I make them more durable?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: October 22, 2011, 06:12:21 am »

If you want, I can quickly whip up some materials for the skin and carapace. God Emperor above knows I love the tyranids.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: October 22, 2011, 06:18:46 am »

Tried to make a tissue out of another material and made the chitin and bone layers out of it.

Spoiler: The tissue part (click to show/hide)

The scythes are [skeleton], so they should be made of "hard_tyranid_chitin" (I gave it the properties of copper). They still tend to get punched off in combat. What gives?
Also, didn't notice attacks glancing away (not many, at least) from the creature's chitin (which is now that material too).

[upd] well, turns out the copper strength just isn't enough. Gave the hard_tyranid_chitin properties of iron, got much better performance.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 06:28:32 am by Valikdu »

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: October 22, 2011, 06:25:09 am »

Regular ponies or rainbownies? Regulars do have lust in their preferred spheres for lulz, but rainbownies have depravity and other deliciousness copied over from the diomedians, due to their mixed heritage.

And yeah, redoing the language files with more flowery words for ponies to use would be ideal, but it's more work than other things like adding hemi-semi-megabeasts, sweets and gelatin-based goods or the advanced drinking making/cocktails that I'll be working on after the next update. The changes to animal pony sizes and the addition of animal pony civs will have to do for now as regards making things dangerous. Also, a little surprise.

Do the Alicorns have depravity/lust as well?  :P
Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: October 22, 2011, 06:28:12 am »

Spoiler: my poor attempt (click to show/hide)
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: October 22, 2011, 06:29:02 am »

If they still get punched off, increase the numbers down the bottom.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: October 22, 2011, 07:54:08 am »

They STILL get punched off, even though I made the material more resistant to impacts than steel

[IMPACT_YIELD:2000000]
   [IMPACT_FRACTURE:2500000]
   [IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:1000]

And the material is definitely tyrachitin and not just bone (claw), the carnifex pony was able to sever an iron pony's body with a slash.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 08:05:17 am by Valikdu »

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: October 22, 2011, 08:13:13 am »

Would it be possible to make a limbs/tissue out of non-tangible materials to make something similar to the Ursa Major/Minor (maybe a special "stardust" material)? Or would such a creature fall apart from being pinched by a fly due to the dubious quailites of the material?

Also would it be possible to make scythes that have superheated/corrosive edges, effectively laser-cutting your foes, or would that cause it to hurt itself?
(Imagine the "wavy mane" Nightmare Moon has, and having it be a scythe/tentacle/extra limb thats incredibly harmful to touch alone, and/or being made of stars  8))
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 08:14:53 am by Zarhon »
Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: October 22, 2011, 08:15:52 am »

Also, how to get rid of

*** Error(s) finalizing the creature CARNIFEX_PONY
CARNIFEX_PONY:FEMALE:right scythe, layer 1: Tissue NAIL was not found, using first tissue instead
CARNIFEX_PONY:FEMALE:left scythe, layer 1: Tissue NAIL was not found, using first tissue instead
CARNIFEX_PONY:MALE:right scythe, layer 1: Tissue NAIL was not found, using first tissue instead
CARNIFEX_PONY:MALE:left scythe, layer 1: Tissue NAIL was not found, using first tissue instead

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: October 22, 2011, 10:07:27 am »

So, I also made an enlarged version of this (Bio Titan Pony, megabeast) and a small one (Gaunt Pony, large roaming in clusters, don't have horn and tentacles).
Despite the remaining weak point (yes, the scythes still get punched off even though they can sever limbs from a bronze colossus) they're formidable. On the arena, the Bio Titan Pony was able to kill a hydra, then a roc, then a colossus and was stopped only by the second colossus. The Carnifex pony mostly kills other SM-beasts in single combat. And I wouldn't wish for nopony to go against a pack of Gaunt ponies, exept maybe in power armor... which is not available in game. Yeah.

This is going to be... fun.

Spoiler: Tyranid body (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tyranid creature (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:18:55 am by Valikdu »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 140