Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 336779 times)

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #675 on: October 16, 2011, 04:17:26 pm »

I'm more curious why it's twisted into human shape.

Celestia was bored?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 16, 2011, 04:22:39 pm »

Or, even worse, Equestria is the world that comes after our one.

Forgotten Beasts are the last things that are left of us.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: October 16, 2011, 04:25:46 pm »

Or, even worse, Equestria is the world that comes after our one.

Forgotten Beasts are the last things that are left of us.

Well, seeing as the Equestrian ecosystem is completely screwed (the weather doesn't even happed without pegasi), well... yeah.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: October 16, 2011, 04:28:32 pm »

Except in the Everfree.

I figured it out, My Little Fortress is what happens if the Everfree grows beyond all containment. Why? I dunno. I'm still wondering why ponies go to war with each other and Celestia is nowhere to be seen.

DarkGenesis

• Bay Watcher
  • Darkness Shall Rise
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: October 16, 2011, 04:38:09 pm »

Unfortunately, I'm quite busy with work placement and such taking its toll on my free time, so it's difficult to say. I'll set a goal of finishing, testing and stabilising what I have and releasing an update by the 30th. It's just a lot of things have interdependencies, like the new ents need some tightening up of the ent code, since I'm adding bananas and chocolate the umpteen reactions for banana leaf thread, banana leaf flour, and various kinds of chocolate need sorting, animal ponies need proper sizing, buffalo need nerfing, griffons need adding(thanks Crazy Cow), diamond dogs need fixing(they're ready to go). Stuff piles up and I'm completely disorganised at the best of times.

As for Earth ponies being rare, the random number generator just hates you. Try to curry its favour by burning wooden dice as a sacrifice.

Awesome, I'm looking forward to it! And yeah I generally get hated on by chance, it's the reason most of my RPG characters don't survive very long as they fail the roll that will save their life.

Things seem more reasonable for me.  I get a nice mix of the three base types of ponies and very few alicorns.  With over 200 ponies having come and gone in my fort, I've only had 3 alicorns to my knowledge.

I guess I should be happy that I seem to get alicorns often enough, just find it really strange I have extreme luck for the rarest pony yet I can't get one of the most common ones...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 04:39:54 pm by DarkGenesis »

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: October 16, 2011, 05:00:16 pm »

While the F-beast is just meandering around in the caves, I have some more stress relief.
When tasked with killing slugponies, my militants seemd to... ehm... enjoy biting their heads off and biting the bodies in two (!!!) instead of using their weapons. This was... not disturbing at all.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: October 16, 2011, 07:56:11 pm »

Except in the Everfree.

I figured it out, My Little Fortress is what happens if the Everfree grows beyond all containment. Why? I dunno. I'm still wondering why ponies go to war with each other and Celestia is nowhere to be seen.

Nah, this is what the world looked like before Celestia took over. Thats why there are freakish beasts underground and above: Discords was just the only one who survived 10000+ years of world gen and two legendary Royals. The Everfree is whats left of a Savage biome that happens to have most of the megabeast population. It also seems to be near a "normal" forest, seeing that there is at least one zebra settler there.

On a more show relate note, is there anything showing that the everfree is the norm outside of EQ? It would be interesting to see if the ponies are the only ones with a need to care for there enviroment.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: October 16, 2011, 11:05:49 pm »

The thing with animal ponies is odd. If the subterranean ones are still appearing, it might be that [DOES_NOT_EXIST] isn't working for wild subterranean creatures, which would make sense of a mention of serpent men I saw in the preferences of one pony. Or, if you're using the default entity_default.txt rather than the MLF one, they might be appear as part of underground civs, because entity creatures are known to disregard the DNE tag. The MLF version replaces them with animal ponies.

As for slug, snail and leech men appearing, that's a derp, I should have included an overwrite for creature_other.txt.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: October 16, 2011, 11:33:55 pm »

The thing with animal ponies is odd. If the subterranean ones are still appearing, it might be that [DOES_NOT_EXIST] isn't working for wild subterranean creatures, which would make sense of a mention of serpent men I saw in the preferences of one pony. Or, if you're using the default entity_default.txt rather than the MLF one, they might be appear as part of underground civs, because entity creatures are known to disregard the DNE tag. The MLF version replaces them with animal ponies.

Yeah, that's what I thought. But the [DOES_NOT_EXIST] tag is used in vanilla DF to allow mythical creature preferences, without the creature actually existing itself, so I'm willing to bet that the tag is overriden when the tagged creature is assigned as a civ entity.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: October 16, 2011, 11:36:44 pm »

Uhm... I seem to have a giant emaciated iguana twisted into human form in my basement.

It doesn't seem to be in a rush to move into the fortress. Do F-beasts normally wait for some time?

Not sure actually.  I've had 4 forgotten beasts in my short DF career so far (and 2 titans), and all of them made a bee line for my fort.  Then they caused Fun.

On the other hand, I had two minotaurs show up today and they hung out around the map edge for a little while before lumbering toward my fort.  Then my ponies shot them in the guts and while they were busy vomitting the ponies knocked them out and stomped their skulls in.  I love this game and mod!

Do all [semi]megabeasts share the same AI?  If so then maybe it's just luck on whether a beastie hangs around or charges you.  I think I've read of a bronze colossus squishing some livestock before just standing around aimlessly for several game months.

Oh, and I think FB will just ignore you if you've walled up any path between them and stuff to destroy.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Theropod Watcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: October 17, 2011, 01:45:42 am »

I have a completely form the zip copy of MLF, so there's obviously a problem somewhere in there.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: October 17, 2011, 02:11:29 am »

Yeah, that's what I thought. But the [DOES_NOT_EXIST] tag is used in vanilla DF to allow mythical creature preferences, without the creature actually existing itself, so I'm willing to bet that the tag is overriden when the tagged creature is assigned as a civ entity.

In the strictest sense, it's [FANCIFUL] that allows those preferences. The way preferences work is members of a civ can have preference for any creature which occurs in biomes their civ has in their territory, or common domestic, or fanciful creatures, AFAIK. It's possible that the way [DOES_NOT_EXIST] actually works is by stopping those creatures from being added to spawn lists, which adding them to a civ bypasses. Hmm, I wonder what happens if a common domestic creature is marked as non-existant...

Theropod Watcher, I'm completely stumped. What I'd suggest is to check the animal person civs in entity_default, since the underground animal men you're describing should be nuked by [CV_NEW_TAG:DOES_NOT_EXIST] in the animal person variation in c_variation_default. The animal person civ is the last entry in entity_default, and it should start with this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If it's not that, it could well be that [DOES_NOT_EXIST] isn't respected underground and I'll just have to wipe them out properly. Do you remember if these animal men you saw were wild, or part of a civ?

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: October 17, 2011, 07:45:55 am »

...So, I got my first titan. The F-beast is still bumbling around in the caves, but this one ran straight to the fortress.
It was a giant three-eyes chinchilla twisted into humanoid form, and it breathed fire. O_o

It was hacked to pieces savagely, though. Didn't manage to burn anypony, but with its last breath (literally) it started a BIG wildfire. Had to hide everyone in the burrows.

The entire soil layer there was obliterated. Crap. :/

[upd] The F-beast finally broke down a door and ran to the fortress. Heh. Heh.
It didn't even manage to land a blow while my militants hacked through and shattered literally every bone in its body.
Btw, the corpse went missing. Somehow. Does this happen when something dies on stairs?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 09:06:21 am by Valikdu »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: October 17, 2011, 10:04:49 am »

...So, I got my first titan. The F-beast is still bumbling around in the caves, but this one ran straight to the fortress.
It was a giant three-eyes chinchilla twisted into humanoid form, and it breathed fire. O_o

It was hacked to pieces savagely, though. Didn't manage to burn anypony, but with its last breath (literally) it started a BIG wildfire. Had to hide everyone in the burrows.

The entire soil layer there was obliterated. Crap. :/

[upd] The F-beast finally broke down a door and ran to the fortress. Heh. Heh.
It didn't even manage to land a blow while my militants hacked through and shattered literally every bone in its body.
Btw, the corpse went missing. Somehow. Does this happen when something dies on stairs?
What was it made out of? And was it dragged to a stockpile?

Also...

Everypony to be here?  :P

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: October 17, 2011, 01:56:06 pm »

What was it made out of? And was it dragged to a stockpile?

These two were fleshy.

Also here: a holiday in life of Catweak.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, picture this: a huntress takes her baby with her when going hunting. A snatcher sneaks up on her, and she immediately PUTS A MASTERWORK BOLT THROUGH HIS FOREHEAD.

BOOOM HEADSHOT!

[upd] This just happened again, with the same huntress. This time she wasn't content to just kill the snatcher with one bolt; she crippled both his front legs and shot him full of bolts while he was on the ground, in pain.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:39:05 pm by Valikdu »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 140