Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 336778 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #1110 on: November 13, 2011, 07:56:28 am »

Heh. If the game title had Colon Cancer before, I think this title variant deserves to be in Colonized Hell.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: November 13, 2011, 08:14:12 am »

Isn't it wonderful how the mods (and sub-mods) enlarge the game title?

Right now what I'm playing can be named thusly:

Slaves to Celestia: Goddess of the Sun; Chapter II: My Little Fortress: Friendship is Magma: My Little Tyranid 1.12: In Utter Darkness.

Somebody make a modmod-mod of that to add more colons!
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: November 13, 2011, 11:13:19 am »

Slaves to Celestia: Goddess of the Sun; Chapter II: My Little Fortress: Friendship is Magma: My Little Tyranid 1.12: In Utter Darkness: Tales of Radiation and Cancer?

Brought to you by the sun god herself! :)
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: November 13, 2011, 11:19:57 am »

Isn't it wonderful how the mods (and sub-mods) enlarge the game title?

Right now what I'm playing can be named thusly:

Slaves to Celestia: Goddess of the Sun; Chapter II: My Little Fortress: Friendship is Magma: My Little Tyranid 1.12: In Utter Darkness.
you forgot "tales of %magic and %freindship:" and, i suppose my varient I'm cooking up on a whim could add "dream valley chronicle:"
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: November 13, 2011, 12:45:03 pm »

Interesting, I'm starting to like those evil ponies.

I'd have to note tho that shadowbolts and wonderbolts are a group's name rather then that of a race/civ/caste. It would make more sense if such a name would end up being seen in militarily squats for example.

As for the town names I've bin an idiot, what I mean to ask can those names be culled to such an extent that there is only one name left to name the towns? But by that I mean only the first word of the town, the second can still be anything. I mean can all pony civ towns simply be named "the town of ..." and all rainbow civ town be named "the dale of ..." and so forth? This would make identification of civilizations that much easier in the selection tab at embarking. (again, not suggesting that you do, just want to know if this is possible)

No, we don't have that level of fine control over names. The shadow/wonderbolts thing is certainly an issue, it's mostly just a reference. I suppose one way to remedy it would be to have wonderbolt and shadowbolt creatures and add that name to the language files. That or "elite" versions of each non-royal caste.

I do have a suggestion for the evil ponies.

Make the Keshi the name to replace the dark royal pony, I've read the wiki description and it seems to suit them quite well. The name Diomedian could be used for the earth pony equivalent, it seems to be suiting them better. You can use nightmares in place of Pegasus. All you need then is a name for the civ itself and the unicorn equivalent and you'll have a terrifying civilization all right.

EDIT: possible idea for civ name. "Hrímfaxi" Comes from norse mythology, the name of the horse that pulled night (as in day and night.) Not exactly perfect but it's something to consider.

I have seen something that was either called a dark or black unicorn. But that just sounds to easy in my opinion, you've got some great stuff for the others that having a black equivalent just seems lackluster.

Err, the Hrimfaxi are essentially Celestia and Luna, you realise? That's probably where they come from originally, too. With Discord as Loki, it seems there's a lot of Norse mythology tied into the canon. Diomedian seems to be more a group name to me, whereas Keshi links to an individual with certain attributes. I should probably mod their hair length and growth rates, looking the descriptions.

---
Also, Hippogriff, just mentioning that so I won't forget. Don't know if you already knew it.

Good idea for a semimegabeast, perytons, too.

Reinhard, the civ has to actually exist for you to get more than the first two, hardcoded migrant waves. Since humans are quite a bit smaller than ponies, a human civ isn't going to do all that much in the way of expansion. You could add [MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:3] or something, the humans should still survive and produce migrants, but only three civs aren't going to cause that much havoc.

The only way I can see to implement something evocative of Heart's Desire would be to add them as a plant that could be used in a new workshop to produce a junk item to increase skill. Unfortunately, there's no way to add a downside or make it temporary, it'd just be a way to raise a skill without using resources other than farm space and ponyhours. If the product was non-stackable, it'd be quite exploitable.

The thought occurs that I could add caste-based profession names for the different castes. So, instead of just having "Stonecrafter" after their name, they'd have "Unicorn Stonecrafter", making it easier to identify them at a glance. Giving the different castes different tiles would probably, help, too.

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: November 13, 2011, 02:47:07 pm »

The only way I can see to implement something evocative of Heart's Desire would be to add them as a plant that could be used in a new workshop to produce a junk item to increase skill. Unfortunately, there's no way to add a downside or make it temporary, it'd just be a way to raise a skill without using resources other than farm space and ponyhours. If the product was non-stackable, it'd be quite exploitable.

Cutie pox sounds like a disease that would give immediate benefits (via skill increases), at the cost of inevitably losing whoever gets the benefit via some drawn-out slow death.

Perhaps Heart's Desire could end up being processed into a syndrome-bearing item/dust/liquid (making it potentially viral and risky to attempt exploiting it), that will promptly infect the pony that did the processing (the actual processing levels him up to legendary in a skill, or something balanced out enough to sacrifice a pony?).

The actual death from the pox would work best if it could prevent the pony in question from sleeping (but they'd still get drowsy/tired, leading to them going nuts/dying eventually), or if that's not possible, just some delayed insta-death.

Speaking of which, you have any plans of adding cutie marks in pony descriptions?
Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: November 13, 2011, 03:07:04 pm »

I think it depends on the DF token language possessing some kind of IF statement.
To make a cutie mark plausible, it would have to be related to something a pony is really good at. Like a legendary skill.

...can you even make skills affect character descriptions?

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #1117 on: November 13, 2011, 03:15:22 pm »

just give a bunch of random ones, I'd rather random ones then none..
great work on the mod Nido, I'm not sure if I mentioned it in the last 75 pages yet.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: November 13, 2011, 03:36:46 pm »

you forgot "tales of %magic and %freindship:" and, i suppose my varient I'm cooking up on a whim could add "dream valley chronicle:"

I suppose this will be a fairy pony civ, yes? That, or one with content from the first few series.

Thing is, I have this problem with the lion civs use of griffons and manticores, because both where seen to be somewhat bigger than any pony. That, and manticores have as much in commen with griffons as they do with. In fact, the foursome of hyppogriffs, griffons ( hooves vs. talons: the eternal struggle!) manticores, and perytons could all be exellent semimegabeasts.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: November 13, 2011, 05:56:39 pm »

yeah, it's based on g1. still in the fiddling about with ideas stage. although, I do have a preliminary stridodon.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:15:17 pm by drilltooth »
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: November 13, 2011, 08:06:41 pm »

Cutie pox sounds like a disease that would give immediate benefits (via skill increases), at the cost of inevitably losing whoever gets the benefit via some drawn-out slow death.

Perhaps Heart's Desire could end up being processed into a syndrome-bearing item/dust/liquid (making it potentially viral and risky to attempt exploiting it), that will promptly infect the pony that did the processing (the actual processing levels him up to legendary in a skill, or something balanced out enough to sacrifice a pony?).

The actual death from the pox would work best if it could prevent the pony in question from sleeping (but they'd still get drowsy/tired, leading to them going nuts/dying eventually), or if that's not possible, just some delayed insta-death.

Yeah, pretty much none of that achievable with the tools we have right now, besides the insta-death.

Speaking of which, you have any plans of adding cutie marks in pony descriptions?

The only way to add a descriptor is to make a new colour called "rainbow bolt" or "three gems" and give it a chance of appearing. The problems with that are that it has no bearing on that pony's special talents, ponies will show up with "likes the colour two bears high-fiving" in their preferences(we already see "starry" and "eclipse black" from the ursa majors popping up), and unless I start making dozens of duplicate castes, you'll always have all/half/a third of female pegasi in any fort having the same cutie mark of a silver whip. Honestly, I don't see a solution better than asking players to use their imaginations.

Thing is, I have this problem with the lion civs use of griffons and manticores, because both where seen to be somewhat bigger than any pony. That, and manticores have as much in commen with griffons as they do with. In fact, the foursome of hyppogriffs, griffons ( hooves vs. talons: the eternal struggle!) manticores, and perytons could all be exellent semimegabeasts.

Sure, they're both bigger, but buffalo are much bigger than ponies, too. The thing to do is to limit their biomes so they don't run wild. Griffons are already established in the show as sentient and none of those creatures could legitimately be a size fit for a fearsome megabeast. Maybe feral griffons and the others could be rare spawns on savage biomes, a constant threat that might pop up unannounced and slaughter woodcutters, rather than an announced semimegabeast that will give the player the opportunity to issue alerts and get their forces into position.

Edit: The was a small to-do a while back about whether ponies with only one grasper would be crippled by having a child. This doesn't happen, I have a draltha pony mare in my current fort who's doing some digging with a newborn filly on her back. Seems the babies aren't truly "grasped", they're just glued to the same tile.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 11:10:35 pm by Nidokoenig »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: November 14, 2011, 05:54:19 am »

Isn't it possible to use color patterns to represent cutie marks? Or are those hardcoded so far?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ult1mara's Let's Plays and reviews
« Reply #1122 on: November 14, 2011, 07:41:07 am »

The local scottish drunken dwarf
Dwarf Fortress Mod Reviews
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84405.0

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: November 14, 2011, 07:47:06 am »

Isn't it possible to use color patterns to represent cutie marks? Or are those hardcoded so far?

1. Make separate versions of the castes with different specialities skillswise
2. Give them an assortment of related cutie marks.
3. ???
4. PROFIT!
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: November 14, 2011, 09:46:44 am »

Colours aren't hardcoded, it's trivial to name a new colour, but the patterns, spots and and stripes, are hardcoded as far as I know. So we're left with naming new colours and have them show up in preferences an on procedural creatures.

The basic issue is that however cutie marks can be implemented, it's going to be a horrible kludge and either have nothing to do with the pony's talents, or rely on them having more extreme skill imbalances which make the game that much more of a crapshoot. And we already have enough of a problem with immigrants coming in with "wrong" skills for their caste, which is easy-ish to overlook because rigidly enforced caste systems are utterly horrid, but if a ponies cutie mark is a stack of logs and they don't know anything about woodworking, it'd be a bit odd. I think leaving it to people's imagination is the better option, after all, half the fun of Dorf Fort is filling in the blanks yourself? Though if anybody wants make an add-on that does that, that's fine, it's just going to force some fairly big compromises so I'd rather leave it out of the core mod.

Ultimara, looks like you're off to a good start. Are we going to get a good look at the descriptions in later videos? I'm curious about which caste I turned out as. And Muffinstyle is a pretty boss surname fpr a pony.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 140