Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 336054 times)

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #1155 on: November 16, 2011, 10:28:38 am »

Well spotted, I'll put it in the next version.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: November 16, 2011, 01:12:17 pm »

I made the bodies work. Good.
Still not sure how to make the chitin actually protect the creature like armor. Chitin layer is really thick on most body parts now, and the material is special tyra/zerg/hybrid templates, but it doesn't seem to make a big difference.

Spoiler: Body detail plans (click to show/hide)

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: November 16, 2011, 03:07:14 pm »

It's so not pretty when you change creature's tissues a lot (intentionally or not) in a fort in progress.

Once all my bone crossbows turned into organ tissues (that time when I accidentally made the zerg boneless... ehm... more precisely, they had skin tissue in place of bone tissue through some really wierd mechanic).

[more rabmling]
How come the images depict mostly long-passed events (i.e. hundreds of years before my fort)? :/ Although, I got some good ones. too
There's one of Rarity being surrounded by bats and terrified (a statue of it, no less). And another of my best Blade Pony fighter (aptly named Kerrigan) striking down a gaunt.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:28:25 pm by Valikdu »

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: November 16, 2011, 06:28:45 pm »

FYI, Nidokoenig, I did some experimenting on [SOFT] and [HARD] tags, and found they seem to have no relation to the decay of clothing. Alternately, immigrant clothing is different than manufactured clothing and hardcoded somewhere. I only tested with their original clothing, things assigned as a uniform may behave differently.

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: November 16, 2011, 07:19:01 pm »

So I've noticed that Zebras tend to be the most successful race, at least after I modded out Lions hoping to give ponies more land.

Any way to give their success to ponies?

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: November 16, 2011, 09:13:14 pm »

Any way to give their success to ponies?

Take out rainbows: they tend to compete with baseline ponies in world gen.

Oh, and on "wild" creatures ( too lazy to find nidos input on the subject): does anyone else think that wild griffons and manticores and the like would be fine creatures for savage areas? Perhapes they could just be handwaved as giant, stupid versions, a la giant lions. The Ogres to a civ of humans, if you will. After all, if they had any brains, they would have formed a civ!

so, poking around in the raws, I came across a body plan I thought would make a more show-accurate parasprite

:D
Nice, and now I can have anatomically accurate parasprites eat everything in my fort!
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: November 16, 2011, 10:06:01 pm »

I'm going to mess around with biome permissions, see if I can get things to work better. I think the main issue is access to farmland. It might be an idea to limit lions and zebras to tropical areas, but that's going to hinder civs interacting. It's tricky.

For wild griffs and manticores, that's a perfectly good idea. I've been thinking there should be animal lions, zebras and buffalo, too, to fit the general idea of ponies not being the chosen kind. 'Course, that implies we also need evil and cave zebras, lions and buffalo, but I think that's taking it a little too far, lions and buffalo aren't adapted for cave dwelling at all and things are already too crowded. Maybe cave zebras could be fun, though, I'll look into African mythologies and animals and see if I can find some appropriate creatures to base them off.

FYI, Nidokoenig, I did some experimenting on [SOFT] and [HARD] tags, and found they seem to have no relation to the decay of clothing. Alternately, immigrant clothing is different than manufactured clothing and hardcoded somewhere. I only tested with their original clothing, things assigned as a uniform may behave differently.

Huh, I was just going off what the wiki said, but I just checked and my starting seven all have tattered metal umbrella hats, and some of the guys in my second wave, too. Weird.

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: November 16, 2011, 10:22:12 pm »

Hmmm, nope. Zebras still own almost half the land of a medium region.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: November 16, 2011, 10:31:39 pm »

For wild griffs and manticores, that's a perfectly good idea. I've been thinking there should be animal lions, zebras and buffalo, too, to fit the general idea of ponies not being the chosen kind. 'Course, that implies we also need evil and cave zebras, lions and buffalo, but I think that's taking it a little too far, lions and buffalo aren't adapted for cave dwelling at all and things are already too crowded. Maybe cave zebras could be fun, though, I'll look into African mythologies and animals and see if I can find some appropriate creatures to base them off.

To be fair, we have seen both manticores and lions be no different than any other animal ( but even then that means they are somewhat sentinent), so having both wild and "normal" versions would fit them fine. Naturaly, a "wild" pony would be a horse. A vanilla horse.

However, I would dich cave zebras and try to expand on goats. Normal (but skilled), robust, and long-horned breeds would round out the castes, and I am sure there is some large species that one could exaggerate there qualitys. Markhors would be a good start. Rare to boot, and I would not want one near me, in any case.

Anyway, small, horned, and stubbern? Good luck mining that ore, ponies! You should have stopped digging when the dogs found you!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 10:39:23 pm by Pokon »
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: November 17, 2011, 05:23:24 am »

Question; to fix Pegasi traders, which files do I need to remove [FLIER] from? I'd much rather trade than get my pegasi stuck on walls while trying to path. XD
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: November 17, 2011, 08:25:20 am »

Goddamn, not even reducing their population numbers in their entity file is hindering zebras. I've upped the max age and population of ponies and they seem more successful, but Zebras are still dominant. Are they superpowered as creatures or something?

Also, my game has a tendency to crash when visiting Zebra towns for some reason, after modding so that every race builds towns. Any idea why this happens?

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: November 17, 2011, 10:47:57 am »

After playing My little cannon: Shooting is Magic for half an hour, I must ask this: Can a "cupcake cannon" be modded in?  :P

It would probably be a special crossbow/ranged weapon that can only be made from a combination of clown metal, paint/dyes and glass at magma forges, and would use special ammo made at another workshop,
using prepared meal items/food materials to make "baked bads", ammo that acts like buckshot (bad at cutting, good at bludgeoning).  8)

The ammo crafting process might require an extra base material like rocks/metals to make the cupcake-bullets viable for use though.  ???
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:50:53 am by Zarhon »
Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: November 17, 2011, 11:04:31 am »

Question; to fix Pegasi traders, which files do I need to remove [FLIER] from? I'd much rather trade than get my pegasi stuck on walls while trying to path. XD

Four times in creature_pony.txt, creature_pony_buffalo.txt, creature_pony_diomedes.txt, creature_pony_lion.txt and creature_pony_zebra.txt, and eight times in creature_pony_rainbow.txt. Just open them in a word processor and find and replace [FLIER] with FLIER.

Goddamn, not even reducing their population numbers in their entity file is hindering zebras. I've upped the max age and population of ponies and they seem more successful, but Zebras are still dominant. Are they superpowered as creatures or something?

Also, my game has a tendency to crash when visiting Zebra towns for some reason, after modding so that every race builds towns. Any idea why this happens?

Population isn't going to affect it much, the main problem is different biomes having wildly different access to food, which is a major problem given the starvation issues in world gen. No idea about the crashes, sorry, anything in your errorlog?

To be fair, we have seen both manticores and lions be no different than any other animal ( but even then that means they are somewhat sentinent), so having both wild and "normal" versions would fit them fine. Naturaly, a "wild" pony would be a horse. A vanilla horse.

However, I would dich cave zebras and try to expand on goats. Normal (but skilled), robust, and long-horned breeds would round out the castes, and I am sure there is some large species that one could exaggerate there qualitys. Markhors would be a good start. Rare to boot, and I would not want one near me, in any case.

Anyway, small, horned, and stubbern? Good luck mining that ore, ponies! You should have stopped digging when the dogs found you!

I was thinking of making goats cavern creatures, myself.

After playing My little cannon: Shooting is Magic for half an hour, I must ask this: Can a "cupcake cannon" be modded in?  :P

It would probably be a special crossbow/ranged weapon that can only be made from a combination of clown metal, paint/dyes and glass at magma forges, and would use special ammo made at another workshop,
using prepared meal items/food materials to make "baked bads", ammo that acts like buckshot (bad at cutting, good at bludgeoning).  8)

The ammo crafting process might require an extra base material like rocks/metals to make the cupcake-bullets viable for use though.  ???

It'd be pretty easy to mod in a reaction to make ammo from the various doughs. They'd probably have to be mapped to a new "metal" with the properties of bread/biscuit/cake to be stockpiled properly. As for making them viable weapons, making them really fast would probably be enough.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:07:43 am by Nidokoenig »

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: November 17, 2011, 11:25:30 am »

Ah, alright, Savannas probably give them more food. I might try switching around pony and zebra biomes to see what happens.

The crash only occurs in certain worlds, I can visit Zebra towns with no problems most of the time. And, uh, don't know how to access errorlog.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: November 17, 2011, 12:01:26 pm »

It's errorlog.txt, right under Dwarf Fortress.exe.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 140