Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: caste tileset  (Read 2610 times)

Dibuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
caste tileset
« on: March 21, 2011, 05:02:41 pm »

Lo!
Is it possible to have one tile for males and anather for females? Like someting around the lines of:

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:DWARF]

[MALE:DORFS:0:0:ADD_COLOR]
   [FEMALE:DORFS:1:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

I have made a race with normal-size humanoid egglaying females and super rare (1 in 1000), super mighty (2,5t) males, so I kinda want different tiles for them, right now they just have different latters..

I did search!

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
Re: caste tileset
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 05:14:14 pm »

Nope not yet
Well if you made male skill high in something and made a tile for that skill....
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

rynait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 05:17:52 pm »

Hello,

got a suggestion on my head about that.  How about making skill labelled "male" and "female".  yeah sort of like repeating female/male caste with female/male skill. 

Have not modded such caste approach but that is what I sort of thought.

Rynait

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 05:49:05 pm »

You could give the rare males skill in a profession only they can have (use skill gain rates to enforce this), and give the graphics for that profession a male appearance. You won't be able to tell what skills these males have from their graphics, but if they're that rare you can keep track of them mentally.

But no, there is no way of differentiating between caste when using graphics. Only professions.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 07:04:26 pm »

You can't define a custom job, so you can't make a "male" job.

If you want wild animals to show gender, like poodles and pitbulls to represent boys and girls (I know what I said!) then you can give the female caste a natural carpenter skill, and the male caste a natural masonry skill, then assign specific images to the carpenter and mason jobs for dogs.  Or whatever skills you want to use.  This doesn't work as well for civilizations, because you'll see people suddenly swap gender when they skill up.  But for something like antmen, who have like 4 different castes, you could probably do this easily enough.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 07:41:37 pm »

You can't define a custom job, so you can't make a "male" job.

If you want wild animals to show gender, like poodles and pitbulls to represent boys and girls (I know what I said!) then you can give the female caste a natural carpenter skill, and the male caste a natural masonry skill, then assign specific images to the carpenter and mason jobs for dogs.  Or whatever skills you want to use.  This doesn't work as well for civilizations, because you'll see people suddenly swap gender when they skill up.  But for something like antmen, who have like 4 different castes, you could probably do this easily enough.
Well alchemy might work unless it a custom skill since nothing uses it that I know of.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 07:50:58 pm by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 08:02:21 pm »

Actually, there's apparently several unused skills, like ALCHEMY, MAGIC_NATURE, and MILITARY_TACTICS.  But still, if used for a civ it gets a little wonky.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Skill_token

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 08:07:54 pm »

Damn Girlinhat... Ninja'd like a mofo!
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 08:19:06 pm »

I think you can add the [TILE:] tag /under/ a caste selection to achieve this effect.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 08:29:36 pm »

For letters and numbers, but not for graphic sets.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 09:37:16 pm »

For rare castes, you can also make a custom appointed noble position.  Appointed nobles can be limited by caste, and can be assigned custom tiles.  You can give the noble caste little or no demand and mandate allowances, and/or some beneficial function like meeting with workers so there's no reason not to fill the slots when you get one.

(use skill gain rates to enforce [caste-specific skills])

*facepalm*... and now I know how to do per-caste graphics for the demonic union in deon's genesis mod   :D.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Dibuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 06:30:25 am »

Oh my! Thats a lot of answers! I think I'll go with making males über good at a skill and make that tile the male, and probably make all the noble positions cast specific.
  So males can have the "leadership"-skill at a lot, I think, while females get a skill rate of like 0 in that perticular skill.

Goin' testn'

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 01:52:19 pm »

Do note that tilesets differentiate by profession, not by skill, and that not all skills result in custom professions. The only professions you can possibly use (aside from noble positions) are these ones.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 01:54:07 pm »

Ah, too true.  Do we know about NATURAL_MAGIC and ALCHEMIST though?  Both of these seem to imply a unique profession, they just don't appear in vanilla.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 02:00:06 pm »

NATURAL_MAGIC does appear in vanilla in the form of elven druids (who primarily don't physically exist at the moment).
Pages: [1] 2