Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Frequency  (Read 2334 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Frequency
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 04:50:11 pm »

We can answer this, though.  Rip out all creatures, and allow only horses (or whatever) with a population of 1 and frequency of 100.  If you kill that one, and another comes next year, then you know how it works.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 05:19:36 pm »

While doing research in preparation for my Sea Serpent breeding fortress, I created a world in which every creature had a population size of 1 and cluster size of one.  I went into legends mode and exported the site populations.  I then embarked with seven hunters, killed every creature that entered the map till none more did, then abandoned.  Went into legends mode and generated a new set of site populations.  Comparing these revealed that yes, the killed creatures were permanently removed from the world population, and experiments over multiple years showed that once a biome was depleted of a population of creatures none more spawned.  Other people who have tried to support fortresses with only hunting have also determined that wildlife populations can eventually become permanently depleted.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 06:05:29 pm »

Good to know, then I will need some adjustments for the next version. And the wiki needs correction :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 07:16:54 pm »

Toady needs to fix that :P

Then again even if he let them breed the number of creatures you can kill in fortress mode could vastly outstrip a realistic population growth model... Barring maybe rabbits...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 09:55:13 pm »

That's because there's always wildlife on the map.  There's rarely a moment that the map is empty of wild critters.  If animals came less frequently as their population dropped, say 1 cluster per year, then it would resemble actual animal scarcity and allow those rare wanderers to breed away from the fort.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 12:53:24 am »

Toady needs to fix that :P

Then again even if he let them breed the number of creatures you can kill in fortress mode could vastly outstrip a realistic population growth model... Barring maybe rabbits...
No, users can edit wiki just fine :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 [2]