Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Tarrasque Challenge  (Read 10176 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: The Tarrasque Challenge
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 08:38:00 pm »

Oh look, its the tarrasque. I remembering buggering around with this for the underdark mod. Fun times, used it to try and balance my armor men, to little avail. The little buggers actualy killed the tarrasque every time I spawned more than a few of them.

Never actual knew what it was supposed to look like. Seems it needs a claw attack now to me.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 09:35:02 pm »

The Tarasque was killed by an angry mob. I don't think they had adamantine weaponry.

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 11:34:50 pm »

The tarrasque is supposed to be immune to fire and other heat, even magma! Why isn't this one so?

Chill. I'll just put Fire Immune back in.
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 11:38:21 pm »

Good news is, NOTHING comes back from a magma bath at the center of the world.  Just pit them somehow into the magma ocean, and they'll never bother you again.

Unless you give them Innate swimming AND Fire Immunity, of course.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 11:46:10 pm »

Honestly from what I remembered, Fire Immune Tarrasque only drowned. They couldn't survive in lava anyway.

Without Fire Immune all the fat gets burnt and there's probably a lot less valuable material left.
Further testing is needed.
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2011, 11:55:34 pm »

Might as well get out my 3.5 Monster Manual and post important traits you'll have to replicate.

Also, can you post the raws for the Tarrasque in code tags?
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2011, 11:59:15 pm »

Honestly from what I remembered, Fire Immune Tarrasque only drowned. They couldn't survive in lava anyway.

There's a local Indianapolis gamer who prides himself on coming up with a low-level way for a D&D party to kill a tarrasque: teleport into its lungs and generate water.  Clever idea, but I don't think it would be too hard to put down if I was actually confronted with this as a gm.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2011, 12:13:39 am »

Tested. Being flesh and bones, fireimmune won't save the tarrasque.
The heat eventually gets him.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2011, 12:16:01 am »

Can't teleport to where you haven't been and/or seen before, not without error.

The easiest way to put down the teleport idea there is to let them try, roll dice, and if they don't get a critical success they end up somehow fused with the beasty's flesh.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2011, 12:17:48 am »

Full temperature immunity can be achieved with the following:

Code: [Select]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
[IF_EXISTS_SET_IGNITE_POINT:NONE]
[IF_EXISTS_SET_HEATDAM_POINT:NONE]
[IF_EXISTS_SET_COLDDAM_POINT:NONE]
[IF_EXISTS_SET_MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[IF_EXISTS_SET_BOILING_POINT:NONE]
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2011, 12:21:19 am »

FIREIMMUNE_SUPER will also be required, not just normal fire immunity.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2011, 12:28:37 am »

Pathfinder stats

Personally, I'd rather see it all burn if people choose the easy path.
Even if you make it completely fire immune, it. will. drown.
Maybe I should consider the amphibian tag at least.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 12:34:52 am by Sarvesh Mossbeard »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2011, 01:02:20 am »

I'd love it if the only guaranteed way to kill this thing to death was through pitting it into the centre of the earth.  Nothing comes back from that.  They just drop to the center, off map, and can never return.

Just hope he didn't find a ledge on the way down.

So I deffinitely support this beasty being an amphibious lava breathing fire immune monstrosity.  Still won't save it from the Glowing Pits.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2011, 09:16:58 am »

The easy path?

[TISSUE_SHAPE:STRANDS] on the horn is odd. I don't know what the effects are of having that on a tissue that isn't hair-shaped, but it should be [TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER].
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2011, 10:28:20 am »

Can't teleport to where you haven't been and/or seen before, not without error.

The easiest way to put down the teleport idea there is to let them try, roll dice, and if they don't get a critical success they end up somehow fused with the beasty's flesh.

Since only a wish kills it, this technically doesn't work, nor does any other "kill the Tarrasque at low level" schemes.

I came up with one in 3.0 where what DR you had determine what DR you could overcome involving a bunch of L3 Wizards with Improved Familiar Stirge and using Stoneskin scrolls to make the stirges hit as +5 weapons. 30 Wizards on average kill it in one round... except because only wishes can kill it, you still need a L17 wizard to actually finish it off.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4