Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Writing tidbits  (Read 520 times)

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
Writing tidbits
« on: March 25, 2011, 04:21:15 pm »

Here's a place where I'm going to put little tidbits of writing when inspiration strikes. If you want to criticize, go ahead. I'm fine with opinionated cannonballs exploding my stories. I guess other people can put their little shorter-than-short stories here as well, and if you want me to continue go ahead.

First off, this little piece is called "Academy"

---

Two figures stood in an open courtyard surrounded on all sides by bricked walls suspended by arches. One is inhumanly tall, with sharp features, pastel yellow-green skin and greasy black hair. The other a desert-dweller, a woman with the tanned skin of a life spent under the sun. There was a disturbance in the air followed by a sudden silence, and the grass began swaying to an unfelt wind. Then the woman dropped to her knees, using both arms to support herself as she coughed.

"Great, great. Keep going. Take the position... It won't be long before you don't need it anymore." Said Viled, the slight rasp in his voice only adding to his inhuman presence. His pale red eyes looked up and down at the now kneeling figure in front of him. He hadn't seen a person with such untapped potential since he left his tribe in the lowlands. Ever since he joined the Academy as a "professor" he had hoped for such a promoising student... And this was what he'd been hoping for. Of course, it wasn't really an academy, and he most certainly wasn't a professor. The organization's purpose was certainly not to teach, more to cultivate.

The woman grunted, standing shakily and holding her hands out in front of her, fingers curled inwards as Viled had advised her. It did not take long before she regained her composure, her breathing softening and her stance more solid. She closes her eyes, and straightens her fingers. A white hot burst of energy erupts around Viled before fading the second after, and though he is unharmed, the woman begins screaming in agony before collapsing to the ground all together. Bending down, the worried Viled placed his thumb on her temple, used to seeing so many "students" die this way. However, the rhythm of her heart was slow but present. Satisfied and relieved, he stood back up.

Yes, cultivate would be a nice word for it.

"Cullern!"

"Viled?" Called an uneasy voice stepping from the doorway. The boy never had any real talent for actually "learning", but if nothing else he tried very hard. In fact, any sort of "teaching" seemed to fail in his very presence. Even the most gifted professors found themselves having to usher him out during a lesson. He is quite large, the sort of son any normal father would be proud of.

"Wait, how long have you been standing in that doorway?"

"About the time I heard the coughing and retching, sir."

"Then... That was far too close. Were you not there it is unlikely I would be here."

"Thank you sir."

"Get this woman to her bedchamber. Easy now, don't bruise her or anything. And make sure she gets a large supper. She's burnt herself out so thoroughly she's probably a few week's worth of meals behind."

"Right away sir."

Cullern was also smart... Not the sort of smart a scholar would be, but more the sort of smart that one could rely on when dealing with a difficult situation. He was always aware of what others would want him to say... And that talent alone had gotten him very far - At least as far a servant could get. As Viled walked off to his next lesson, the boy carefully heaved the unconscious woman, using his shoulder to support her. He had seen her as soon as she had entered the Academy, and was quite often involved in one way or another with her lessons, even speaking to her a few times. He had found himself enamored by her. I wonder... he thought. What is her name?
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.