Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: ≡Adventure mode quick start≡  (Read 26980 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: ≡Adventure mode quick start≡
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2016, 08:50:55 pm »

Because it's too obvious? Look how old that post he revived is; if the guy didn't figure out in the last ~5 years, he's probably quit the game. Unless he's so obsessed with it that he can never turn it off.

Saw your update to the page Uzu, awesome job.

I Just updated the "quests" page myself and I adding the new crafting abilities to the "detailed adventurer mode reference guide" page.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventurer_mode

(^^ still outdated a bit)

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quest

I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2016, 10:25:24 pm »

Ah, thank you. I just finished ~10 mins ago. I only overhauled the Character Creation section, replaced unsubstantiated imperatives with better elaborated suggestions. I expect some players to have differences with my suggestions, and encourage the feedback.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2016, 06:15:24 pm »

Ah, thank you. I just finished ~10 mins ago. I only overhauled the Character Creation section, replaced unsubstantiated imperatives with better elaborated suggestions. I expect some players to have differences with my suggestions, and encourage the feedback.

Looks very good. One suggestion: I'd remove the mention of grind in fighter/archer.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2016, 06:35:44 pm »

Looks very good. One suggestion: I'd remove the mention of grind in fighter/archer.
I only re-wrote one section, Character Creation. I didn't mention Archer at all in it because it can be safely developed without any starting skill. But if I did edit more, that's something I'd remove.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2016, 07:06:58 pm »

Terribly sorry. Ignore what I had said. I clicked on the wrong link, http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventurer_mode as opposed to the one you did edit:  http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventure_mode_quick_start#Character_Creation.

So yes, very well compiled, Uzu. It's a good source of information, and in all earnestness, the prose is splendid.

EDIT: The suggestion about fighter is very interesting. That works best for a more sandbox build-your-own-game learning style. Most people may find it easier to benefit from a more linear style at the beginning. Your suggestion though, I believe is better long-term as the linear style will have a player doing less and thinking less.

Also, I hope that (if time allows) you overhaul the entire quick start article.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:45:05 pm by peasant cretin »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2016, 06:52:59 am »

Generalization works well in the immediate term, too. For example, you start in a fortress with axe skill expecting a good one, but the only one you can find is copper while the miner is holding a steel pick. You can't start with skill in mining, but with Talented Fighter you can put it to good use right away. Or if you start in a meadhall hoping to get a good sword, and you find a mediocre one along with an excellent silver whip.

In either case you aren't bound to a preselected weapon, so it's easier to make the pragmatic selection of taking the best available. Fighter skill gives you the ability to use it effectively from the start, so weapon skill will increase quickly.

Gremdavel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Gremdavel
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2016, 03:41:20 pm »

Generalization works well in the immediate term, too. For example, you start in a fortress with axe skill expecting a good one, but the only one you can find is copper while the miner is holding a steel pick. You can't start with skill in mining, but with Talented Fighter you can put it to good use right away. Or if you start in a meadhall hoping to get a good sword, and you find a mediocre one along with an excellent silver whip.

In either case you aren't bound to a preselected weapon, so it's easier to make the pragmatic selection of taking the best available. Fighter skill gives you the ability to use it effectively from the start, so weapon skill will increase quickly.

Except doesn't a character usually start with a fairly decent version of whatever specific weapon with which they are skilled?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 05:07:15 pm »

Even if you started with a decent weapon, and didn't find something better where you started, then Talented Fighter would serve you just as well as Proficient in your preferred weapon skill. Better yet, it contributes to Wrestling.

Gremdavel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Gremdavel
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2016, 09:59:39 am »

Even if you started with a decent weapon, and didn't find something better where you started, then Talented Fighter would serve you just as well as Proficient in your preferred weapon skill. Better yet, it contributes to Wrestling.

Oh sure -- I do think Fighter is extremely valuable.  I just meant that one might want to add points to a specific weapon skill solely because they might start with that weapon.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2016, 10:47:30 am »

Oh sure -- I do think Fighter is extremely valuable.  I just meant that one might want to add points to a specific weapon skill solely because they might start with that weapon.
The likelihood that you'll start somewhere that doesn't have a decent weapon is pretty slim. The likelihood that you'll start somewhere that doesn't have a better than decent weapon is a little less slim. You can't know what the best weapon available will be, so you'd be picking one blindly and marrying it from the start.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2016, 02:08:47 pm »

weapon skills level slowly. fighting and wrestling level extremely fast. I usually put a few points in fighter just in case I need to fight a goblin before finding a punchingbag.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2016, 02:21:18 pm »

Attack skills other than wrestling level to scale with damage output. High Fighter helps with initial damage output, but what helps even more is effectively using the best quality weapon you can find. That weapon skill will increase much quicker.

I always start with Novice in Fighter, Wrestler, all unarmed attack skills, Dodge/Shield/Armor and Observation, then put the rest in non-combat skills. I wouldn't recommend that for anyone's first character, though. Unless someone has already made up their mind they want to focus on the non-combat and social activities, then I would recommend those combat skills at a minimum.

NorkasAradel

• Bay Watcher
  • FUCK
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode quick start
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2016, 12:17:57 am »

I can understand swimming but what good are observation and social awareness?

Fighting bogeymen one on one sounds pretty difficult unless maybe you have a really high agility so you can outrun them.
Observation allows you to see exactly what attack the enemy is using, and social awareness and empathy both increase your follower count.

As for fightan boogymen, just charge at them every attack you get. You're much bigger than them, and will knock them over 90% of the time.
Quote from: Announcement Screen
Kasat Osmandonu, Ghostly Human Bard has risen and is haunting the fortress!
At least his moaning and chain rattling will be in key and hopefully entertaining.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Adventure mode quick start
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2016, 02:10:59 am »

I can understand swimming but what good are observation and social awareness?

Fighting bogeymen one on one sounds pretty difficult unless maybe you have a really high agility so you can outrun them.
Observation allows you to see exactly what attack the enemy is using, and social awareness and empathy both increase your follower count.

As for fightan boogymen, just charge at them every attack you get. You're much bigger than them, and will knock them over 90% of the time.

The comment you were replying to was from way back in 2011
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2016, 09:59:24 am »

I'm going to update the rumors section of: