Author Topic: Cursed  (Read 2922 times)

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
Cursed
« on: March 26, 2011, 03:54:05 pm »

I suspect Armok cursed me. I can't find a way to have FUN, and if i find it, my dwarves are lucky enough that no one gets a single bruise.

List of attempts

- Shooting ballistas in an high traffic corridor --> TOTAL MISS.
- Left bridge open to an ambush --> Soldiers killed them anyway.
- Left bridge open to an ambush, no soldiers --> a dwarf is stuck on other side of the river, safe from goblin and with plenty of water and food. Had to abandon
- Attacked the first caravan that come --> Elves, AKA no guards, and so nobody fighting back my soldiers. Plain boring.
- Attacked by steel scaled dragon --> 50 dwarves died... after a boring half hour real-time. And dragon got killed by toe hit.
-- A FB attacks as soon as the dragon dies --> Other 30 death and first fortress to crumble to death. But naturally i have to wait another hour...
- Duplicated RAWs --> Embarked as humans, every other thing was perfectely normal.
- Genned world with 30 megabeast caves and 40 semimegas --> nothing interesting.
- Caged a dwarf, wanting to sell it to caravan --> damned infections.
- Metallic FB --> Metallic FB's head + Metallic FB's mutilated corpse

After that list of fails... I'm building a temple to Armok, where i'll sacrifice all goblins, elves, and kittens useless dwarves i'll find!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 03:57:30 pm by Iados »

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
Re: Cursed
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 04:01:09 pm »

Order the dwarf caravan slaughtered. Loyalty cascade ensues, if that still works.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 04:19:21 pm »

Well, DIG DEEPER, I'm pretty sure you will find something of interest.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 05:44:31 pm »

- Left bridge open to an ambush, no soldiers --> a dwarf is stuck on other side of the river, safe from goblin and with plenty of water and food. Had to abandon

That's no reason for abandoning... quite the opposite: It could have been a great start for a new fortress á la hermit-challenge. You want Fun but abandon at the slightest sign of difficulty? This is Dwarf Fortress, not some pansy game that you can actually win :o
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 02:39:38 am »

- Left bridge open to an ambush, no soldiers --> a dwarf is stuck on other side of the river, safe from goblin and with plenty of water and food. Had to abandon.

That's no reason for abandoning... quite the opposite: It could have been a great start for a new fortress á la hermit-challenge. You want Fun but abandon at the slightest sign of difficulty? This is Dwarf Fortress, not some pansy game that you can actually win :o

yeah NOW i know it, but at the time was my first fortress :)
i'll try some of your tips... especially the caravan one.

Well, DIG DEEPER, I'm pretty sure you will find something of interest.
i did it...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

also:
- Flooding the fortress by redirecting a river --> ALL WATER turned into mist by falling down the first stairs.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 03:01:37 am »

i did it...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

HFS does that sometimes. Send out your dwarves to explore until you have all of HFS revealed, you should find your Fun eventually.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.