Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Planning for an underground megaproject, I need suggestions and ideas.  (Read 1870 times)

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile

Hello there bay12, I'm planning for some sort of megaproject which is based off the city of ember megaproject on the wiki.  http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Megaprojects#City_of_Ember Here is the link. However, I'm wondering how should I go about this, should I build it all in the caverns, or only partly in the caverns? Also, what embark setup should I use, when should I close the gates forever and is there anything you in particular want in the fortress. I have the choice of two civilisations, one has four mountain halls, so it's the standard amount of migrants. One has no mountain halls, so either I get the first two migrant waves and thats all, or I get no migrant waves at all.

Both have their own challenges, so which one should I pick? Should I have a way of letting migrants into the fortress, or should it just be a set amount?
Blargh.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am already pulling something like this, making a cavern city.

First tip, go into your init and set the population cap to 10. That will pretty much keep you from getting migrants after two waves.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I would like at least fifty dwarves, also I'll probably need someway to defend against forgotten beasts.
Blargh.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile

Do it all in the caverns, more depth and realism. Also, GIANT CAVE SPIDER PETS!!!

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I have made the dungeon master appointable by the expedition leader. I've got cavern openess to the maximum(100 for mine and 100 for max). Should this be made into a community fortress?
Blargh.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does my fortress count as an underground city? :D
I'll have to update the map in my sig at some point since it's been two years, but the basic housing is already there.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile

I had a lot of fun sending only my starting seven down into the caverns with all the goods, and sealing off the entrance. The hardcoded migrants had to fend for themselves, living off water and gathered plants until raiding an elven caravan that wandered in. Many tantrums were enjoyed.

Meanwhile my starter seven were having a ball defending their cavern campsite from giant moles, trolls and all manner of Fun.

My suggestions would be to just seal the outside off with hatches, so your migrants can get in (or just leave them outside). As far as tips go: beware the cave crocodiles!  :-[

spook54321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.jessevandijk.net/g_09_15.html

your goal is to build this.
While using the defense mod
It's the same reason why sharks don't attack lawyers, professional courtesy.

This (small) sig of mine

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think your fort does Jelle, that's roughly like what I'm planning. Luckily so far I've only had rodent women and large rats in the caverns, a base camp has been set up, and I'm planning for some walls to be set up. I haven't got the defense mod unfortunately, that could be my next challenge though. It seems this cavern level also has a lack of water, which is good in some ways, but bad in others.
Blargh.