Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Summoned to Darkness: A Threetoe Story  (Read 24098 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Summoned to Darkness: A Threetoe Story
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 03:41:55 am »

Extremely entertaining!

It distracted me from work, and there's really no greater gift than that. I really enjoyed all of the environments, and I appreciate the game ideas laid out at the end--they always make me think.   

I'm definitely a better writer (atleast a better DF writer, anyway) because of Threetoe's influence.

More, please!
For they would be your masters.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 10:04:46 am »

I truly enjoyed the depth of deception by the wizard, but I definitely felt that the evil god was still too good.  I was almost convinced that he might have actually intended to honor his end of the bargain! 

Remember, he's not necessarily an "evil" god - he's a god of slaughter (presumably his major sphere).  Seen in that regard the requirement of the sacrifice makes perfect sense.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 02:47:17 am »

I recently read some of Threetoe's Stories and I must say I am quite impressed (especially with "Summoned to Darkness"). Very entertaining. Threetoe knows how to spin good tales. (Though, to be honest, a few of them are too dark and bloody for my tastes.)

Anyway, two of these stories featured a Forest Spirit that was eerily similar. Both of the following Forest Spirits were giant rodents whose home was the center of a mystical lake:

Forest Befouled by Threetoe
When he reached the lake he found it ringed by dozens of satyrs... [snip]
The Elf looked up to see a huge rodent standing on the water. It was the Forest Spirit.

Summoned to Darkness by Threetoe
A rippling, bubbling spring rose from the center of the lake. Out of it the giant specter of a forest rat rose and floated in midair.

Was the latter story written with the former story in mind? Is there some connection between the two (such as a continuation of plot), or was it just a recurring theme?

If there was a connection between the two, I'd assume that the former story took place after the latter because the Forest Spirit in the former seems to either be killed off by befouled water or driven away. If Dahlia and Aliz survived to rescue Bram from Goldshard and she returned to the Singing Hunter's Paradise, would she find an elven village in ruin, her kinsfolk scattered or dead, the land befouled, the Forest Spirit slain and an insane, bloodthirsty Delvadale controlling a pack of Blendecs?

I will admit "Summoned to Darkness" was a satisfying read. But both stories seemed without a satisfying ending to me (esp. since "Forest Befouled" seemed so short). Perhaps my imagination is just grasping at a connection that isn't there in order to continue the story in my mind?

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 05:04:35 am »

Well, let's see.  I wrote Forest Befouled a long time ago.  My vision of the forest spirit has changed since then, though it was kinda similar in Summoned to Darkness.  I'd like to hope, like most things, that the way nature spirits appear is as random as possible without being silly.  Thanks for reading.  It is cool that people actually do.  I should have a new story up in the not so distant future.
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 01:20:19 pm »

I should have a new story up in the not so distant future.

Looking forward to this.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 11:32:19 pm »

Ditto. I haven't read them all, but I'm almost there.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 10:14:53 pm »

Epic story, my friend.
I even got a new quote for my signature, if you don't mind me using it.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 02:34:01 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:07:53 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

compoundoverkillcornbread

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY ENSURES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 12:16:00 pm »

yeah, it was pretty cool. But one very frustrating thing for me is diffrentiating between the actual events that could happen and the make-believe parts.

This game has definitly a lot of potential! I've already switched from minecraft to DF because of the never-ending possibilities that diffrentiate the two.
haha no, but you told me to be insane. This is just a fragment of my insanity.
Not too insane, please.  We've got the insanity of The Master to deal with, I don't know if we can survive two ponies being totally bonkers
Oh man, I am really testing out the strength of this quote system today...TROLOLOLOLO!!
Pages: 1 [2]