Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25 Released  (Read 179402 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25 Released
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2011, 03:39:21 pm »

I am drowning in updates.

And enjoying every second of it.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2011, 05:33:53 pm »

it's just my fort, or are cats not adopting anyone since the .25 release?

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 01, 2011, 05:50:45 pm »

They no longer do so.
Hello Hunam

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 01, 2011, 05:51:30 pm »

They no longer do so.

Awesome.  No more kitten killing machines for me!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 01, 2011, 06:05:18 pm »

Cats still adopt. When I started my new 0.31.25 fortress, as soon as I unpaused in my new embark, both of the cats I brought for vermin control adopted my mechanic.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 01, 2011, 08:48:47 pm »

Yeah, mine adopted my miner. It seems to have slowed down a little though.

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 01, 2011, 11:55:54 pm »

I think the important part about wagons carrying more was that there was less junk items and more heavy stuff, like iron/steel etc. But a filter option like in embark adding items screen would be kick ass. Some sort of item quality filter also, so you can dump all your low quality items quickly without accidently bartering priceless items that ended up in your bins. Dont see it happening any time soon, but would be nice...
Forbid Masterwork/Artifact qualities from the Finished Goods stockpile nearest the Trade Depot and make another stockpile that only accepts Masterwork/Artifact to get your bins sorted.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2011, 04:22:19 am »

Cheers, will have to try that out. Just learned about the take from stockpile feature from the latest captnduck tutorial, that could be used to take the masterworks and artifact items out into another pile too right?
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 02, 2011, 05:20:54 am »

To my knowledge, cats will only adopt dwarves who like cats now.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 02, 2011, 05:41:37 am »

To my knowledge, cats will only adopt dwarves who like cats now.
???
 :o
OH GOODY!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2011, 07:06:30 am »

They used to bring more?!  God please no.  Not until there's a quicker way to filter or scroll through the item list.
You can't filter, but you can Page Up / Page Down to scroll.

The changes through 31.25 were enough not only to get me off my .18 version, but also to donate. Thanks for the bugfixes, Toady!
Same here, last major fort was .18 as well. Was being patient for most of the new, larger issues to be worked out before scoping out the real estate, and it sounds like this newest set of versions are turning out to be fairly stable, so can't wait to try the latest one out.

They're probably refusing to adopt people who don't like cats. There is an [ADOPTS_OWNER] tag for cats now that you can remove completely if you wish. (I don't know if that would require genning a new world or not.) I personally think it's cute and quite realistic for cats to latch onto people they think are interesting, regardless of having to kill kitten sprites for FPS. I don't think they should be restricted to dwarves who like cats, though, as some cats go to people who don't like cats to try and win them over, or to hurt/ill people to cheer them up.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:12:36 am by Spectre Incarnate »
The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 02, 2011, 02:06:45 pm »

They used to bring more?!  God please no.  Not until there's a quicker way to filter or scroll through the item list.
You can't filter, but you can Page Up / Page Down to scroll.

The changes through 31.25 were enough not only to get me off my .18 version, but also to donate. Thanks for the bugfixes, Toady!
Same here, last major fort was .18 as well. Was being patient for most of the new, larger issues to be worked out before scoping out the real estate, and it sounds like this newest set of versions are turning out to be fairly stable, so can't wait to try the latest one out.

They're probably refusing to adopt people who don't like cats. There is an [ADOPTS_OWNER] tag for cats now that you can remove completely if you wish. (I don't know if that would require genning a new world or not.) I personally think it's cute and quite realistic for cats to latch onto people they think are interesting, regardless of having to kill kitten sprites for FPS. I don't think they should be restricted to dwarves who like cats, though, as some cats go to people who don't like cats to try and win them over, or to hurt/ill people to cheer them up.

Didn't cats already only adopt owners who liked cats? If you allow dwarves to adopt animals in general, animals will only be adopted by dwarves who have preferences for them; this fact was true in versions other than this one.

What we should really be allowed to do is butcher pets at any time, with the associated Bad Thought.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 02, 2011, 03:46:12 pm »

What we should really be allowed to do is butcher pets at any time, with the associated Bad Thought.

And grudge against the butcher and/or mayor. :)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 02, 2011, 04:48:01 pm »

I did a quick search, and am not sure if this was reported in a thread like this yet, but badgers seem to be very, very aggressive creatures (especially for their size and relative lack of threat). 

When setting up some fortresses for testing purposes, I seem to get a lot of combat reports suddenly popping up, indicating badgers had flown into rage (x7) and were chasing random dwarves or yaks around the map.  Forutnately, badgers are fairly weak, and a single kick cripples one, but after they wake up from falling unconscious, they just go back to chasing dwarves again. 

I'm not sure what the dwarves were doing (besides milling around the surface while my first tunnel was only partly excavated), but the badgers seem like some sort of hyperagressive dwarf-seeking missile that will hunt dwarves down in spite of dwarves doing nothing to really provoke them besides stand near them. 

(And giant badgers are apparently something that would terrify a war elephant.)

Apparently, PRONE_TO_RAGE makes them very prone to rage, even when set at 1, because they are almost constantly flying into rages. 

Amusingly, in testing this, I set 16 badgers against a single elephant, and they basically managed to somehow dogpile and knock the elephant unconscious, and very, very, very gradually nibble it to death.  All the while, they were constantly flying into and dropping out of rages... even though the target was an unconscious lump just sitting there.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2011, 04:58:59 pm »

Not sure what dark pacts with beings best forgotten you made for this, Toady, but I upgraded to 31.25 today and Craftgates went from a little less than 50 FPS to the low 80s, so I thank you wholeheartedly for it.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27