Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39

Author Topic: Zomboid  (Read 73305 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Zomboid
« on: March 28, 2011, 09:14:45 am »

Ok Yes this is another zombie title but this one does seem to have alot of potential, first saw it on rock paper shotgun and they gave a small description and there is also some pre alpha combat being shown and i think it sounds good.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/28/project-zomboid-trailer/ ( rock paper shot gun preview)

Rock paper shotguns preview
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and it seems to have a lot of potential and i like the sound of it being more than just run and gun and being able to hole up in a house and make a fortress out of it, and when multiplayer is released using my friends as zombie bait  :D, and to be honest if i find out a bit more about the game i don't mind donating £5, i hope it ends up as a better Die2Night

Main website: http://www.projectzomboid.com/

Forum: http://theindiestone.com/community/general-zomboid-discussion-f20/
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Zomboid
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 09:54:36 am »

Yeah uhh... I dunno. The video shows a very simple zombie SHMUP and I know they have all sorts of IDEAS and PLANS for more features, but they dont have anything yet. We see games about this level of development on TIG Source forums all the time.

I simply cannot see forking over cash to an unproven team, how do we know they will even complete this? I certainly dont want to see every startup indie team ask for spare change while they learn how to make their first game. Beyond making the game itself, starting a development team is like starting any business, and partnerships are difficult for anyone. Lots of variables, but I wish them luck.
I got nothing

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 10:31:02 am »

Still you got to take chances otherwise ideas don't get made into the games they could have been.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

lemmy101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:06:10 pm »

Hey thanks for the post :) I'm one of the makers of the game, ductape you make a valid point indeed, we're using the pre-order / donation system purely because we came off the back of another game (Privates for Channel 4) but since that had a development budget, and no subsequent funds from sales since it was a free to download educational game, we found ourselves in dire straits moneywise once that had finished, and so we had to announce our secret project way early and appeal to people's better nature to help keep us going and keep us working indie full time.

And when we released the vid we did on the proviso that we felt we had to due to some people were weary of giving money based on a few screenshots, and some even making quite brutally accusations of us making screen mockups and setting up a fake site to scam people. It felt we needed to show something, and this is way earlier than our planned video release. We plan on releasing a more comprehensive trailer in a couple of weeks, but we're not quite there yet and combat is the only thing that feels complete enough to demo in video without too much placeholder art and other things. There is more to it than in the video, already, and we've got 30 years of commercial game experience in the team, so we at the very least are perfectly confident in delivering.

But yeah, we understand your point of view entirely, and are fully aware that we're perhaps asking a little much at this time, so obviously it's up to the individual whether the investment feels worth it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 02:39:19 pm by lemmy101 »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 01:23:28 pm »

Just from that trailer I see the game has serious amounts of potential, and I am looking forward to getting to play it someday.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 02:16:23 pm »

I'm still not tired of zombie games. Probably never will be.

Best of luck to you and your team, lemmy101. Watching with interest.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 02:45:37 pm »

I'm still not tired of zombie games. Probably never will be.

Werd.

It's got an X-com look and feel to it which I like very much. Tastefully keep us updated here and I'm sure someone will decide it's worth ~$5 to try out. I like what I'm hearing and look forward to seeing more.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 03:49:25 pm »

I cannot be sick of zombie games until one seriously addresses stuff about infection and so on :P

lemmy101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 04:00:37 pm »

You can completely get infected in ours. One scratch and the death clock is ticking. Then the game becomes about deciding how you're going to go out. You also get to see yourself reanimate and watch what happens for as long as you like (or until a bullet is put through your head :D).

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 04:06:07 pm »

You can completely get infected in ours. One scratch and the death clock is ticking. Then the game becomes about deciding how you're going to go out. You also get to see yourself reanimate and watch what happens for as long as you like (or until a bullet is put through your head :D).

Is there an option to strap explosives to us, and take a bunch of them with us ?

lemmy101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 04:15:18 pm »

Hell yeah. The philosophy we're taking with the crafting system very much allows for explosives to be made from bleach or fertilizer or whatever (I look forward to researching that on google and the resulting governmental detention) and since suicide is a constant option open to the player with any lethal weapon this will all be inherently possible as soon as craftable explosives are in the game.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 04:16:33 pm »

So it sounds like the city will slowly descend into madness, will all other NPCs run on the same rules of your character, and will the game start with just a few people infected and those people infecting more and more, so it would be possible to to stop the outbreak before everyone is infected, or eventually eliminate all the zeds?
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

lemmy101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 04:19:18 pm »

Nah there is no happy ending. There is no way to stop the outbreak. A key factor of the game is your death is 100% inevitable, and it's the story of how you died. And it's that story and the things you accomplish and experiences you have while alive that are the 'goals' of this game.

There are less zombies and more survivors toward that start of the game, but it's already too late. This is worldwide and unstoppable. It's just a matter of time.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:21:00 pm by lemmy101 »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 04:25:20 pm »

Coming to facebook as Zombieville! Looks a bit interesting though.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 04:30:38 pm »

I look forward to gathering like ten survivors together geeting a bunch of gunss, ammo, and explosives, and having a last stand as hundreds upon hundreds of zombies descend upon us, and when I am the only one left I am going to rig my small fort to blow, and takee them all with me to hell. zombieland.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39