Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 39

Author Topic: Zomboid  (Read 73352 times)

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
Re: Zomboid
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 05:35:38 pm »

I am very skeptical about this, might as well be 'another' Fort Zombie.
Hello Hunam

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 05:39:06 pm »

* Urist begins hammering wood into wall *

* Zombie 1 Breaks through window *

* Urist is terrified as he reaches for his shotgun *

* Zombie 1 eats Urist's brain *

* Urist dies from stupidity he shouldn't have been hammering a board at night *

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 05:44:13 pm »

If you've survived long enough to be in a city that's already a living Hell, then it would be logical to start fairly well off. You would have to have a weapon, and a fairly stable food and water supply, and you would probably have companions as well, so my question is how do you start in game?
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

lemmy101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2011, 05:51:38 pm »

Fair enough. ;) Except it's not another 'Fort Zombie', of course. If you're not bothered about zombie survival games then I suppose the distinction between an (albeit much more involved) tower defensish 'build a base' game and an open world sandbox survival RPG may be academic, I suppose.

This might've already been answered, but...Some players are going to be very good and some are going to be very bad.  How many players do you expect a given server to have, and how frequently do new servers show up for people who failed so that they can start over?  Or, are there NPCs that dead players can jump into?

One, for the start of it. Multiplayer is coming later down the line, and the implementation details on that are still a bit fuzzy as they depend on the best way to go about it atthe time, but I imagine you'd more likely to be playing with friends than with random people at least for a good while as we're not creating an MMO despite some of the reporting to the contrary :)

Certainly creating a persistant server should be possible at some point, and although it's possible, I can't imagine us ever supporting 50 players+ or something so would likely be a whitelist situation where a group of people, 5, 10, 16 or something, who know each other would all have access to the server.

If you've survived long enough to be in a city that's already a living Hell, then it would be logical to start fairly well off. You would have to have a weapon, and a fairly stable food and water supply, and you would probably have companions as well, so my question is how do you start in game?

It's more like the remake of Dawn of the Dead where, although it's never stated in the game, it's assumed you've just woken up in bed after the infection hits and it's all kicking off around you. I said earlier 'it's already too late' and it is, but still very early in the timeline as far as the infection is concerned.

Even if this defies sense a bit, for gameplay benefites it's important that you start in this situation imo, than already teamed up with people since really the teaming up with people is an experience the player wants to have themselves.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:54:49 pm by lemmy101 »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2011, 05:55:56 pm »

Running your arse off and unloading/breaking/dropping excess stuff to make it to a safe spot.  Basically a... after things get hot and dicey, you just made it out with yourself and X/no stuff scenario?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:58:32 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 05:59:30 pm »

Don't worry, guys!  Atlanta is one big safehouse!  We just need enough supplies to get there, and then we'll be fine.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 06:00:50 pm »

Fair enough. ;) Except it's not another 'Fort Zombie', of course. If you're not bothered about zombie survival games then I suppose the distinction between an (albeit much more involved) tower defensish 'build a base' game and an open world sandbox survival RPG may be academic, I suppose.
I meant that it had a great idea, but bad implementation.
Hello Hunam

lemmy101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 07:17:38 pm »

Crafting is in and working now! A liiiiittle bit minecraft but there isn't really any better way to approach it that isn't being different just to be different (and therefore ending up with  a worse system).

http://www.theindiestone.com/lemmy/index.php/2011/03/30/316/

No shapes or grid, just component items = new item.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2011, 08:53:10 pm »

May I suggest that when you start you cna choose different jobs like electrician, or buisnessman that will result in different skills, househlod items, houses, cars, etc ?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2011, 08:57:31 pm »

Definitely like the crafting system look. Will there be complex crafting too, like sub-components that can be made, and then put together to make something even more complex? That would rock :D

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2011, 08:59:21 pm »

Will you be able to use cars, and after they run out of gas take them apart for parts?
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.

lemmy101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2011, 09:21:17 pm »

Drivable cars are tricky for two reasons, firstly they would be awkward to control / draw to look and feel right in isometric viewpoint.

Also,at least at the moment, there are map areas which load in as you walk to the border. We'd need to introduce a streaming level that had no borders to make vehicles feasible. We want to add them, but can't commit to that at the mo.

There will definitely be stationary vehicles eventually though.

re: Complex crafting, very probably. It's all just making multiple objects into a new object, so it's up to the design of craftable items we come up with how many potential tiers of items can be made. An item that comes out of crafting can just as easily be an ingredient to another item.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:31:53 pm by lemmy101 »

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2011, 09:44:59 pm »

Will it be possible to make a Molotov launcher?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2011, 09:58:19 pm »

Vehicles could work as a way to more easily travel to a distant zone perhaps from your base? No need to animate or anything, just run random damage and fuel use - run out of fuel at the wrong time and you'd be stranded, and damage would probably be tough to fix.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2011, 09:58:36 pm »

Do you think your going to be going on a planned route with what you'll be coding, or are you just coding the features randomly?

Edit:Another question, after a certain amount of time, will you be able to make a journey outside city limits to find like, a old abandoned farm, reinforce it, produce food, sell food for city-only commodities?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:36:54 pm by x2yzh9 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 39