Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 39

Author Topic: Zomboid  (Read 73397 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Zomboid
« Reply #480 on: May 01, 2013, 02:00:31 pm »

updates could be a looooooonnnnnggggg time in coming.

Still faster than a certain fantasy world generator and simulator.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 01, 2013, 02:07:34 pm »

In terms of scope, not really. For what Toady does he develops at a pretty good clip. Indie Stone, on the other hand, is dealing with a lot of graphics that I think is a lot of their dev time.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 01, 2013, 04:25:22 pm »

In terms of scope, not really. For what Toady does he develops at a pretty good clip. Indie Stone, on the other hand, is dealing with a lot of graphics that I think is a lot of their dev time.
the big eat out of their time was the gui and gameplay overhaul, i dont see anything changed big with graphics at all.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 01, 2013, 04:26:33 pm »

Based on the number of missing animations and place holders, I don't think that's true. Stuff that graphically worked a year ago is now back in a placeholder state. They also reworked all the sprites.

PS- Good fucking god, the Indie Stone forums. There's plenty of terrible feedback, bur then an equal number of apologists as well, who dive all over any negative feedback saying stuff like "It's an alpha, don't judge!"

Fuck I'm sick of hearing that. Personally, I'd rather hear that someone doesn't like it, in poor format, then a legion of Yes Men who have little to stay other than defending what they like.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 04:29:26 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 01, 2013, 04:31:20 pm »

well "it is" alpha and the new release we are playing on is a release candidate of a alpha :P

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 01, 2013, 04:49:51 pm »

Yeah, it is an alpha. It's important the devs know what doesn't work, though. Likewise it's not important to reiterate something that they already know. I guess this sort of thing is an unavoidable problem at this stage of such a project.

Most of the idiocy (both sides) on TIS forums are a result of 'youthful enthusiasm', I reckon. I'm on a (failing and sporadically attended) mission to eradicate the use of the phrases 'white knight' and 'troll' from the place. It's the bane of my fleeting and pitiful existence.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 01, 2013, 04:54:29 pm »

I just find the whole concept of "don't judge an alpha" to be counter-intuitive when it comes particularly to PZ. That might have been true back in .20 days, but IS has basically continued to use the Alpha label, to me, as a defense.

There's a lot to the game that isn't in alpha anymore, it's very beta to me and has lots of polish. It's very capable of being judged on its merits. Yet their more....hair trigger fans don't want to hear anything that isn't positive feedback. If it's negative feedback, it has to be written in the most neutral style otherwise you're "attacking" IS.

I mean, I'm more than happy to take the bugs and half-features as they come. That's the nature of the beast until it's on sale. But the unwillingness to even engage in mild criticism of the game by some of their fans is teeth-grindingly annoying to me. You say something like "The Knife seems to crash the game more than any other weapon" and you're guaranteed a response of "I'm sure it will be fixed!!! This is an Alpha afterall!!1111"

Which is completely not the fucking point of me saying something in the first place. I know it's a goddamn Alpha. I was there on Day 1, you fucking sycophant.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 05:02:18 pm by nenjin »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 01, 2013, 05:16:57 pm »

from what i believe they are still not finished with including all of their features into the game. Plays like a beta but still alpha. Lucky i just spend enough time to do bug reports and not care what is posted anywhere else.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 01, 2013, 05:17:18 pm »

I cant seem to survive for shit anymore >.< doesn't seem to matter how much I sneak or anything

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 01, 2013, 10:48:49 pm »

I cant seem to survive for shit anymore >.< doesn't seem to matter how much I sneak or anything

I'll repost what I wrote on their boards:

The biggest thing is: don't panic.

When you're outside and you're being chased, you don't need to run yourself to exhaustion. You just need to run enough to stay ahead of the horde. Sometimes continuing to run is what gets you surrounded by zeds. When you can't see any zeds immediately in front of you, slow down. Start looking for hiding places. Stay observant, plan where you're going to run to, be ready to change direction at a moment's notice. Most importantly, conserve your energy for when you find a big stretch of woods, or a lot of houses grouped closely together. THEN you sprint like a mad man, put real distance between you and the horde. Or save your energy for when you're completely, 100% cornered.

Second biggest tip: don't overestimate the horde's ability to follow you. It's true, they can be tenacious. They can also be super, super lazy. LOS is the biggest determinate of them following you, followed by sound. Scent is kinda hard to quantify. Put some distance between you and them, break LOS and hide. I find I have a lot of success getting the horde to chase me to a house, entering through a window, and exiting the backside. The bulk of the horde seems to get stuck attacking the house.

Third is: 3 zombies are not really a threat. If you've been running from a horde, avoided them, and run face first into 3 zombies...just kill them. Quickly, quietly, discretely. The Frying Pan or Spade is a decent starting weapon, far far better than the Kitchen Knife. Don't let 3 zeds ruin the only good hiding spot you've found for blocks. If there's no LOS between the zombies you're fighting and the zombies chasing you, chances are, you're in the clear.

Fourth is this: there is no rhyme or reason to zombie spawns right now. A horde will appear in a spot you thought was clear only 2 hours ago. Don't assume anything, especially when you pick a safe house. It's only safe as long as the dice say it's safe.

I'd just add that there's a lot of variance in how well you're pursued by the horde. Run long enough, far enough, around enough LOS-blocking corners, and you'll lose 90% of the horde. Usually what I do is run run run, turn a few corners, then turn a final corner, back up and wait. Inevitably, 1 to 5 zombies will come around the corner. I take them out one at a time, and if ANY more than that show up, I assume the rest of the horde is shortly behind, and start running again. I've used this method pretty consistently now and it seems to pan out most of the time. The newest patch has also improved your stealthiness when sticking closer to walls, and added more LOS blocking. So fences and turning the corners of houses is even more effective.

It's really neat how certain things in game affect you psychologically and make you start to despair. Just the sight of a large horde on two sides of you is sometimes enough to break your will and make you commit suicide by zombie. But other times, if you're persistent and keep pushing your luck as far as it will go....sometimes the game surprises you and you actually DO get away safely. That's when the game really shines, in those moments where you've narrowly avoided trouble. It's what gives all the survival aspects, sleeping, cooking food, the creature comforts their weight. Because when you've been running for 3 in-game hours and narrowly avoided death several times...and finally get into a safe house so you can rest, get a drink from the faucet, eat, organize your inventory...the relief is palpable.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 11:58:17 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 08, 2013, 04:44:11 pm »

Build .0007 should be available on Desura now.

"Most" of the crash bugs are fixed. NPCs aren't back yet but the meta events they generate (gun shots, helicopters flying over, ect...) are in, adding some dynamism to the movement of zeds across the map. The Zed population has been re-concentrated mostly in the urban heart of the city, with the outskirts have a much lower chance for generating hordes. It's actually possible to get around now.

Food requirements seem to have been nerfed so it takes much longer to get hungry. A good or a bad thing depending on why you enjoy PZ.

I think if you've been waiting to buy, now would be an ok time, the game generally seems stable for most people. (Although I still crash about 50% of the time when it tries to save out my game on character death.) If you've got an integrated Intel graphics card you should probably still stay away though, they're still troubleshooting issues with it.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 08, 2013, 06:45:11 pm »

Bought this quite a while ago (a little over a year) and glad that I still had the email with my password (cause I'd have forgotten the long string of letters and numbers).  Be interesting to see what's changed.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #492 on: May 22, 2013, 05:43:18 am »

I tend to like indie devs in general for what they are trying to do, but the zomboid team really needs to stop promising things they aren't going to keep. I mean, if every deadline you set gets broken by a ton, then you'd learn. I don't doubt their good will and their desire to meet the deadlines, but it' getting to be pretty ridiculous. It's getting to the point where I might start ignoring what they say altogether and just wait for the finished game :\

This is because they promised version 0008 Monday, by the way.

I usually don't care about these things at all, but if the same guys do the same thing ALL THE TIME then it gets to be a bit much even for me, and I hate this feeling.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 22, 2013, 10:55:23 am »

I tend to like indie devs in general for what they are trying to do, but the zomboid team really needs to stop promising things they aren't going to keep. I mean, if every deadline you set gets broken by a ton, then you'd learn. I don't doubt their good will and their desire to meet the deadlines, but it' getting to be pretty ridiculous. It's getting to the point where I might start ignoring what they say altogether and just wait for the finished game :\

This is because they promised version 0008 Monday, by the way.

I usually don't care about these things at all, but if the same guys do the same thing ALL THE TIME then it gets to be a bit much even for me, and I hate this feeling.
That's all for this week, and we'll do our utmost to get you your 008 goodness today. If not today then very very soon afterward.[/qoute]
can't really say they are lying.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 22, 2013, 01:19:58 pm »

Eh, I remember back when I bought Project Zomboid they were having some major issues at the time. Laptop stolen from their apartment, which contained a good chunk of the game up to that point, pirates crashing their servers due to it force updating pirated copies from legitimate servers (causing major bandwidth issues).

But still, I'd have expected a little more nearly two years later. It's good to see that they are still pursuing their goal, at least.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 39