Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: +Crystal Glass+ is Just the Beginning, Version (round) 2  (Read 3547 times)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
+Crystal Glass+ is Just the Beginning, Version (round) 2
« on: March 28, 2011, 11:56:55 am »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4071

Here is version two, having gone through the first round of beta testing!  Thanks for all the help guys!

It includes:
- 15 types of glass, each with individual buildings, all based on real glasses and colorants, mostly up through the 1600s and occasionally later.  The 15th glass is ACTUAL crystal glass!
- 16 glazes (and the ability to crush any of the glasses and glaze with them, something which is commonly done to glaze objects), again all based on real-world glazes and colorants, again mostly up through the 1600s and sometimes a little later.  Also, I modified the prices of the existing glazes because of changes I made to the glazing system.
- The short beginnings of an alchemy system, based on the actual alchemists and the things they figured out. Currently it is merely to produce initial products for glass and glazes. Mostly just making metal oxides and calcining bone, but also a system of chemicals for production of colloidal gold for producing ruby glass. Take a look and tell me what you think.
- I did have to, to get things to work properly or more accurately, change some things majorly, such as how glazes are made.  Now they require powders, rather than whole items, and multiple powders are produced per unit initial item, so their prices per glaze correspondingly decreases, among other changes.  All things glaze and glass related work with powders.  Also, many stones now have a higher value due to their increased usefullness.

At this point I have used the mod in several games and have noticed no major flaws.  That is to say, if there are any, I haven't found them.

I still would like, in the future, to get thing like the traps to be actually called 'terrariums' and the raw glass to actually be called 'raw' rather than 'rough'.

Note: while I was making it, newer versions of DF have come out. I made this with 0.31.21, but from my experience it works JUST fine with 0.31.25, which I am currently using.

Instructions on what to do with each of the raw or similar files are in the readme, which is in the file.  I put whatever came to mind in the readme, so I think it pretty in-depth, but if I missed something, do tell.  DEFINITELY read the readme, at least the beginning parts of it, before deciding whether to put in my changes or not, so that it doesn't screw up your gameplay.

I tried to keep it pretty autonymous, but there WILL be some issues with vanilla DF overlap where, to work properly, mine might need to be inserted...

As I consider this to be in a sort of beta testing form, I not only welcome, but consider it imperative, that you all point out it's flaws, whatever they may be.  Even just unfavorable opinions are helpful, if reasons are given, and I may agree with the argument and change things!  So please, post!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:02:34 pm by Pickerel »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: +Crystal Glass+ is Just the Beginning
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 01:39:38 pm »

Ah, you got this finished. Ill have to take a look later.

As for the powders, modifying the stone template would do no good. You would have to modify the specific stone entry you want changed. Yes, all of them.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 01:55:31 pm »

I've noticed that your powder-making reactions are all duplicated for millstone and quern. This isn't actually necessary, as a single reaction can have multiple BUILDING tokens - see the vanilla MILL_SEEDS_NUTS_TO_PASTE reaction.

Also, the reaction MAKE_SULFURIC_ACID_FROM_USELESS ("make oil of vitriol from useless stones") doesn't actually use useless stones - it uses bismuthinite.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:57:48 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 02:33:23 pm »

As for the bismuthinite:
Oh!  I have never actually used bismuth bronze, so it didn't even occur to me.  I will fix it.

As for the multiple building tokens:
Ahh, didn't realize ^.^  This will greatly simplify my large walls of text!  I will also make said modifications, test them, and such.

As for the powders reference:
Ahh, I just looked at the stones, and no wonder!  Each overwrites the name with an ALL_SOLID reference!  I see what you mean.  So I will go and implement that, as well.

For the time being, I need to do some lab work, so I will take the file down and put it back up later after I have fixed these rather glaring errors!  Thanks for the help all!

Flow cytometry, FTW!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 03:29:11 pm »

Code: [Select]
[REAGENT:glaze:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[GLASS_MATERIAL]
[REAGENT:statue:1:STATUE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[REACTION_CLASS:CAN_GLAZE]
[EMPTY]
[NOT_IMPROVED]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
No glazebag? All the glass glaze reactions are like this.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 05:00:42 pm »

Did you actually get crystal glass working?  Last I knew, that [CRYSTAL_GLASSABLE] tag didn't work or something.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 06:32:12 pm »

Somewhat related question -- what can you do with lithium? I have some knocking around in a mod and it and magnesium are the only things I haven't found a use for (I picked them 'cause of their flame test colours, and now I feel obliged to use them for something). Would it be unreasonable to have it produce a bright rose-gold pink when combined with cobalt? I'm not sure if either of the purple glasses displays that way already.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 06:54:25 pm »

Oh, also, no I didn't get crystal glass working per say.  I just put things in under the assumption that they will in the future, since much of it is just copying and pasting. 

Now that you mention it, though, one CAN start a fortress with crystal glass in their wagon, maybe they still work even if rock-crystal's reference does not. 

And, in fact, while I am at it, I might as well just put the reactions manually for production of crystal glass, and a building to take the reactions!  It will be as though crystal glass wasn't broken, since it won't rely on the [CRYSTAL_GLASSABLE] tag...

As for the glazebag:
Oh!  The glazebag.  Shoot.  When I was testing, I had forgotten to change it so I tested the glass glazing stuff in non-powdered from, but changed the file to powdered form.  A bit more testing would have shown me this discrepancy, since I imagine it makes it not work at all, making it a pretty glaring error ^.^ I will fix that too!  Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 06:58:00 pm by Pickerel »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 10:19:20 pm »

I've noticed that your powder-making reactions are all duplicated for millstone and quern. This isn't actually necessary, as a single reaction can have multiple BUILDING tokens - see the vanilla MILL_SEEDS_NUTS_TO_PASTE reaction.

That's useful to know
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: +Crystal Glass+ is Just the Beginning, Version (round) 2
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 01:36:13 am »

I proceeded with the fixes that I indicated, and put the new file up!

Thanks much for the help all! 

Now for the next round, where some of the massive glaring errors are removed, and we can get more to the nitty gritty!