Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 676165 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3375 on: February 02, 2012, 04:16:27 pm »

So I'm starting to think that instead of picking players right as they sign up, we should make the topic, wait a day, assign numbers, then Roll (#of spots) D(# of players) for spots.

Sound like a good method?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: February 02, 2012, 04:19:46 pm »

Probably more fair than first come first serve, anyway. Would make it easier to get into games.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: February 02, 2012, 04:22:22 pm »

Though if you use the first come first serve method, you're more certain of having players in somewhat the same Timezone.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: February 02, 2012, 04:24:28 pm »

Think there would be a lot of interest in an Inception RTD? I spent the entire movie thinking about what a great game it would make.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: February 02, 2012, 04:27:07 pm »

I would be interested.
Love, scriver~

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: February 02, 2012, 04:33:31 pm »

Probably more fair than first come first serve, anyway. Would make it easier to get into games.
Though if you use the first come first serve method, you're more certain of having players in somewhat the same Timezone.

These are both valid points.

1. Rolling does ensure that people from different timezones have a fair chance of getting into a game, and if you're a slightly lazy GM like myself then it doesn't matter if everyone can get their posts in all at the same time. I don't see a problem with this method.

2. First come first serve is good for GMs who like to play fast and blaze through things, and is best suited for the 'original' RTD I think, where if you have a lot of players ready to go each day you can get a bunch of turns in. Best suited for the RTDs running more on the principles of 'let's do ridiculous things.'

3. There's also the method Dwarmin used in his RTD, which is 'the characters I find most interesting are getting in first.' It does motivate players to put some thought into their characters, although of course it's not always viable... I mean in a death-match type game, I don't want to put a whole bunch of thought and effort into my character because it's (highly) likely they'll die. But for more campaign-like RTDs, this may be the best choice.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: February 02, 2012, 04:51:39 pm »

Scelly, me too.

Also, that reminded me, I had this idea for an rtd where people dream, and their souls navigate the dreamworld, guided and protected by the players. That's the simplest I can put it without going on at length, but basically the players would lose by letting the dreamer be frightened awake or by the soul getting lost, and would win by guiding the soul to the morning. It was actually a pretty good idea, but I was in bed not being able to sleep, so I didn't write it down or anything, and forgot most of it after.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: February 03, 2012, 12:26:27 am »

Think there would be a lot of interest in an Inception RTD? I spent the entire movie thinking about what a great game it would make.
I would play this.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: February 03, 2012, 02:13:20 am »

That reminds me, didn't we already have an RTD that was also based on the movie but died before it got off the ground?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: February 03, 2012, 02:17:50 am »

Yep. I don't know why I remember this, but Zako was in it, I think.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: February 03, 2012, 02:51:21 am »

We have to go deeper in...terested.

Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: February 03, 2012, 05:07:57 pm »

Join us over at #Bay12RTD. http://webchat.freenode.net/

Spoiler: Here is why (click to show/hide)
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: February 03, 2012, 05:34:28 pm »

Gosh.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: February 09, 2012, 03:22:57 pm »

THE GREAT IRC DICE DROUGHT IS FINALLY OVER. I have a dicebot working! Come one come all if you wanna play extremely short IRC RTDs. They're good practice!

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: February 09, 2012, 04:56:27 pm »

Oh gods yes, but instead lets try lucid dreaming, the subject inception was based off of. Lucid dreaming, for those of you who don't know, is the ability to control your dreams, and do whatever the hell you want. Within Lucid Dreaming, you can enter a place called the astral planes, which is a...its odd, lets leave it at that. I think a good idea would be to make an RTD based on the Astral Planes, and let our imaginations let all hell break loose from the fact we can do and make whatever the hell we want
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 661