Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 677703 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3735 on: March 17, 2012, 10:32:32 am »

I can't see social gameplay, based entirely on what the players themselves say and do, blending very well with the RNG. How would rolls factor into the clones remaining hidden or being revealed?

I think it would work better in a situation where only NPCs are being fooled, like that Pod People RtD concept I had. Though of course this loses the appeal of the social gameplay between the players.
Hm. I'm sure there's a way around this, but I can't think of what it is. Maybe something similar to Mafia, wherein the different players have different goals so in theory that should show through at some point, but obfuscated by RTD mechanics and bizarreness. Is Hitler trying to bake brownies as Hitler is wont to do, or is Clone Hitler secretly hoping for that [1] that will burn down the adjacent library?!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: March 18, 2012, 09:31:12 pm »

I think Roller's Block should also be stickied. It already has some history (as far as I can tell) and this seems like a pub where the fellow GMs and players come to get drunk on ideas, quarry and squabble, aside from complimenting and/or punching each other's faces.

By the way, I just remembered something. Nice to you meet you, commmunity. My account was originally made for LCS shenanigans. I guess I started only one thread, met DF, married it, divorced, married it once again, stopped checking the Bay12 forums (after starting the aforementioned thread), and, some days ago (has it been 2 weeks already or not?), I discovered RTD and decided to give it a go.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: March 18, 2012, 09:42:17 pm »

I don't think this one needs a sticky, mostly because it's always on the front page anyway. Also hi!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: March 18, 2012, 09:56:06 pm »

This thread is important and useful, but it doesn't really need to be prominently displayed, I think.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: March 18, 2012, 10:01:40 pm »

I'm indifferent either way. But one thing to remember is that this thread is different from a list, because unlike a list, this thread will be active so long as there is a person planning an RTD, which happens fairly often so it shouldn't fall too deep into the forums.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3740 on: March 18, 2012, 10:05:14 pm »

What if...

There were some sort of massive, collaborative RtD project? A single canon, but with many minds. Like the comics industry, where stories and characters are licensed to individual authors and the canon swells as they write and illustrate individual stories, so too would this shared RtD canon grow with the ranks of the GM collective. It would parallel Roller's Block, in which there is a stream-of-consciousness discussion of RtD concepts that branches into new RtDs, but each RtD would work together, sharing a single setting, crossing over, stitching together an ever-growing backstory for future RtDs. A player-controlled hero from one game could be the villain of the next, a popular NPC from another receives his/her own spinoff RtD, and the cycle continues.

And that would just be the core of the setting. Not only would it encompass many different RtDs of different styles, themes and rulesets, it could expand beyond RtD into suggestion games, roleplays, tactical games... it would be a world of Bay12's creation, collaboratively assembled by the relationship of GM and player.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: March 18, 2012, 10:07:47 pm »

I think the fact that comic books have so many restarts and parallel universes implies some of the issues with that.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: March 18, 2012, 10:09:09 pm »

No thanks, I prefer to have my own setting.

Anyway, that sounds somewhat familiar. Didn't TolyK do something somewhat similar to that and fail?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: March 18, 2012, 10:12:50 pm »

Anyway, that sounds somewhat familiar. Didn't TolyK do something somewhat similar to that and fail?
I believe you're thinking of that game we did with the multiple rtd's within an rtd. An RTD with the same base setting would work, but only if the setting was actually interesting.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: March 18, 2012, 10:13:50 pm »

We promised to never speak of this again.

Also in before Derm as a constant Big Bad or really bad at his job protagonist. (Was there ever any doubt?)
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3745 on: March 18, 2012, 10:15:51 pm »

I think the fact that comic books have so many restarts and parallel universes implies some of the issues with that.
Linear canon is boring, I prefer a labyrinthine rose bush of snagging plotlines and character arcs tying themselves in knots. :P

Yeah, there are plenty of reasons it could be a bad idea. But collaborative storytelling (outside of the GM-player relationship) hasn't been explored much with RtDs. That's what ERTD is trying to accomplish, but more can be done.

I believe you're thinking of that game we did with the multiple rtd's within an rtd. An RTD with the same base setting would work, but only if the setting was actually interesting.
Oh lord, let's not bring that up. That was a clusterfuck of epic proportions. Clusterfuckaplex? Obviously direct, real-time GM collaboration is out of the question. But independent stories in the same setting could still work well.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: March 18, 2012, 10:19:47 pm »

Well, I do have quite the insane project which I want to try. I may as well tumble on my feet and fall face-first into the unforgiving rocky ground, but hey, I guess it is an effort worth taking. New things may not always be fun or interesting, but they are new, and among these, the inspiration for keeping on trying develops until someone brings something that is fresh AND extremely fun. Wacky Death Race has an uncompromising background and a very interesting system, and I find it very entertaining.
TL:DR: Let's keep on trying new stuff or revisiting old stuff in new ways until we get it right (Which is so obvious I wonder I even wrote this here).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:22:40 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: March 18, 2012, 10:26:11 pm »

((An RTD FAQ may be fine))

Welcome to the RTD sub-forum Caellath!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: March 18, 2012, 10:30:25 pm »

What if...

There were some sort of massive, collaborative RtD project? A single canon, but with many minds. Like the comics industry, where stories and characters are licensed to individual authors and the canon swells as they write and illustrate individual stories, so too would this shared RtD canon grow with the ranks of the GM collective. It would parallel Roller's Block, in which there is a stream-of-consciousness discussion of RtD concepts that branches into new RtDs, but each RtD would work together, sharing a single setting, crossing over, stitching together an ever-growing backstory for future RtDs. A player-controlled hero from one game could be the villain of the next, a popular NPC from another receives his/her own spinoff RtD, and the cycle continues.

And that would just be the core of the setting. Not only would it encompass many different RtDs of different styles, themes and rulesets, it could expand beyond RtD into suggestion games, roleplays, tactical games... it would be a world of Bay12's creation, collaboratively assembled by the relationship of GM and player.
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: March 18, 2012, 10:44:40 pm »

If we did create a common setting, I'd prefer if it wasn't the "Multiple World" stuff I've been seeing around lately. It would probably be best to focus on a single world, instead of multiple different worlds.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 661