Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 677421 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3795 on: March 22, 2012, 04:46:40 pm »

When I started to work on the "School of Badass" badassery advancement, I thought about a schedule system, where every day has a maximum number of teachers (two or three, for an instance) and the students have to pick their chosen class.

Of course that playing towards the badass archetype is better. Having your Summoner constantly go to the sparring class and miss those precious summoning classes does not make much sense. Unless he goes there from time to time only to cause havoc by summoning a fairly large demon, of course.

Skills would be learned and mantained by usage. Right from the start, the characters would have reasonable levels of their archeptype's main skills, so they do not have to learn anything from the scratch, and, of course, because some badasses are taught from birth.

You could also pick the "Common guy" option. Meaning you would play a normal human, probably to either be turned into comic relief or to ascend by learning skills, getting an experience bonus for that, as you would be like a blank sheet. A weak one, at least at the beginning.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:51:12 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: March 22, 2012, 05:47:02 pm »

I'm seriously contemplating starting an RTD but am a bit nervous to dip a foot in to those treacherous waters. So I figured I'd come here and peruse the thread. Naturally work got in the way and I'm sure I'll forget about checking in on this thread if I don't see it pop up in my new replies page. However... in order to not make this a completely lame "posting to watch" comment I'll throw something out there that maybe the more musical of you could have a hilarious time with: Roll To Dodge: The Musical. I would rock this one out myself, but it would only be truly awesome if you could make music to go along with it. Lyrics and whatnot. Definitely not my forté. However....

(Sidebar: ever noticed that typing ideas out helps you to come up with other ideas?)

So how about a RTD in which the players have to pick out a selection of music (preferably with a link to youtube or a short clip somewhere) to go with each of their actions. Failure to include appropriate music would result in a -1 penalty. Music that fits the situation like a glove would get a +1. Of course this is somewhat reliant on the GM not screwing the players for choosing music that they personally don't like. Thankfully I'm open to just about any genre.... The actual game would have minimal stats and not focus on having lots of things to track. I figure if I'm able to keep it simple and easy to run turns it would be more likely to last longer. Maybe even reach some sort of conclusion.
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: March 22, 2012, 05:53:31 pm »

Something similar is Roll to dodge a song.

I like the concept but they just do not last long.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3798 on: March 22, 2012, 07:57:59 pm »

That's a pretty shallow gimmick, it probably wouldn't last very long. It might work better if the song link was their action. Instead of the players describing their actions directly, they give an impression of what they want to do through a song. That has more potential I think, but it would need some more work to remain interesting.

Or maybe an illustrated RtD, where the players illustrate their own actions instead of putting them in words? You could go even further with it by having the GM write the turn in pictures too, so the whole thread is just pictures responding to pictures. Everything that happens in the story is just implied by what everyone draws. Roll to Pictionary :P
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: March 22, 2012, 08:23:51 pm »

I actually like the "song as action" idea, although it could be bitchy to arbitrate. But Roll to Pictionary gave me other good ideas...

Roll to Pictionary- Players submit their action as expressed via picture, and waitlisters try to interpret the action. The GM organizes the most popular interpretations from Most Favorable to Least Favorable, then rolls to see which one happens.

For example, a player tries to draw themselves stabbing an orc. Their terrible squigglings get interpreted in various ways by the waitlisters- is he stabbing it? Hugging it? Making soup? Stabbing himself? Stabbing the Orc was most suggested and is the best result, so it gets assigned both 5-6. Hugging it is second most favorable (as that would make the Orc friendly) and gets assigned 4. Making Soup is also fairly popular but doesn't really help, so it gets 2-3. Stabbing himself is clearly not helpful, and is given 1. GM rolls a [5]- successful stab!

For general structure, it could be done as a regular RTD with plot and shenanigans, or maybe more relevantly a WarioWare-esque series of mini-challenges, where the player is challenged to correctly render the action they want to take. Succeeding results in points and continued play, Failure results in no points but continued play, and Death/Obvious-Game-Over cycles in a waitlister, and the player joins the crowd. The more I think on it, the more I'd say that most turns are regular Succeed/Fail played for points, with say every 5 turns being a "DODGE THE BUS!" kind of action.

Secret action goodness AND waitlister involvement AND crappy MS Paint drawings? Sign me up!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: March 22, 2012, 08:34:53 pm »

Flaw: You'd have to open up MS paint and upload to image sites whenever you want to post an action, which is probably longer than the half minute it takes to post a word action.

I am lazy.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: March 22, 2012, 08:48:17 pm »

Pro: The GM doesn't have nearly as much work, as much of the gameplay and fluff writing is foisted off on the waitlisters and lurkers! All he has to do is roll a die and come up with new zany schemes! BRILLIANT, BRILLIANT I TELL YOU!

Besides, I'm kinda counting on terrible pictures to make things entertaining. Hooray lack of effort!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3802 on: March 22, 2012, 08:56:07 pm »

What if none of the waitlister interpretations are negative? Or positive? You need a full spectrum of roll outcomes every time, and you can't just force it. I really like the idea of the waitlist acting as an audience who interprets the pictures and influences the results of actions, though.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: March 22, 2012, 09:08:29 pm »

You can totally just force it! Take the "hug the orc" example- I decided to fluff that as a good outcome (because who doesn't love hugs?) but it just as easily have gone south (the orc's hug crushes you.) The way I see it, there would be things that are definitely good/desired (and will result in points) and things that are bad/undesired (and will not result in points, and possibly other sadness) and the ambiguous results can be fluffed as needed to fill out the table.

Part of me thinks it would be interesting if you could have abilities that fart with how well you draw. For example, you might have a beneficial ability that lets you use multiple colors, but it would be accompanied by a weakness like a smaller canvas. Or you could be restricted to the spraypaint tool. Ok most of these are more fun as debuffs, maybe that would be a good non-lethal consequence for failure. There's a reason the other part of me says this is a dumb idea, but I still like core Roll to Pictionary.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: March 22, 2012, 09:25:44 pm »

You'd probably be better off making it a regular forum game, with the RtD mechanic dropped.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3805 on: March 22, 2012, 09:27:39 pm »

Okay everybody, get out your crayons! Monk is running Roll to Pictionary!
You'd probably be better off making it a regular forum game, with the RtD mechanic dropped.
So... just Pictionary?
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: March 23, 2012, 01:53:44 am »

No! Roll to Pictionary! It must be done! :o
Also, my current excuse for not updating my RtD is my lack of internet. Yess...
Well, I have about $0.80 left of internet, to be precise. :P Amazingly though, I have actually almost finished the turn, I was just going to add in an encounter for those characters sitting around doing nothing. But at this point, after not updating in months, it might be better just to let it die and start a new, less complex RtD. :-\ Thoughts? I still want to do Roll to Be a Superpowered Mercenary Team or similiar, set in a post-apocalyptic world with all sorts of cheesy action and freakish Liefield-esque characters...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: March 23, 2012, 09:00:52 am »

No! Roll to Pictionary! It must be done! :o
Also, my current excuse for not updating my RtD is my lack of internet. Yess...
Well, I have about $0.80 left of internet, to be precise. :P Amazingly though, I have actually almost finished the turn, I was just going to add in an encounter for those characters sitting around doing nothing. But at this point, after not updating in months, it might be better just to let it die and start a new, less complex RtD. :-\ Thoughts? I still want to do Roll to Be a Superpowered Mercenary Team or similiar, set in a post-apocalyptic world with all sorts of cheesy action and freakish Liefield-esque characters...

I searched to find a picture of a cat or dog that would adequately capture my horror in a suitably heartwarming way, but I couldn't find it. :(

Ah well, waitlist me for whatever the hell you're going to do.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: March 23, 2012, 02:22:28 pm »

Since I will probably stop my current RTD( Due to problems with managing and player input( mostly managing stuff)) and the other is almost finished, I will probably start a new one soon. currently I'm torn between 3 ideas. each will have 6-8 players.

Roll to be a History monk
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

An as yet of unnamed RTD with a plot I can't tell you about. Futuristic, and set on a spaceship. Possible kinda RP heavy.
Spoiler: Possible Intro (click to show/hide)

Roll to be a submarine commander

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 04:03:55 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: March 23, 2012, 02:29:39 pm »

The spaceship RTD I might be up for. Just as long as it's not so RP heavy that the turns come at a sluggish rate, and just as long as the ship is large and you've got a map.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 661