Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 677514 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

More explosions, stat!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Y'know, I've looked around a little and found RTD games of every make and style, from the classic arenas to Total War grand strategy. I don't think there ever was a squad combat RTD. I.e., up to four players, each controlling a squad of three to five people, a-la Laser Squad - point buy system for troops and their weapons. The actual combat mechanics between individual troops would be somewhat simplified to expedite the process of making the turns.

In the interest of making the game last longer, perhaps the whole thing could be made to be like an arena, with a goal to retrieve some sort of artifact that every player - each representing a different corporation - fights to get. As teams are eliminated by enemies, new teams drop in.

So in short, something of a cross between Einsteinian Roulette, Laser Squad, and Cortex Command.

This is an idea I've privately toyed with a couple times, but I never got it to a place I wanted to pursue it further. Definitely a concept I'm interested in.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Y'know, I've looked around a little and found RTD games of every make and style, from the classic arenas to Total War grand strategy. I don't think there ever was a squad combat RTD. I.e., up to four players, each controlling a squad of three to five people, a-la Laser Squad - point buy system for troops and their weapons. The actual combat mechanics between individual troops would be somewhat simplified to expedite the process of making the turns.

In the interest of making the game last longer, perhaps the whole thing could be made to be like an arena, with a goal to retrieve some sort of artifact that every player - each representing a different corporation - fights to get. As teams are eliminated by enemies, new teams drop in.

So in short, something of a cross between Einsteinian Roulette, Laser Squad, and Cortex Command.

I've been working on a similar concept but it's nothing I could ever GM.
Four or 8 players, each with a 4-man team. One or two players controlling each team. The game starts with each team getting a set amount of points to buy supplies: for instance:
Light Weapons: 1pt per level
Medium Weapons: 2pts per level
Heavy Weapons: 3pts per level
Vehicle: 5pts

Light Armor: 1pt
Medium Armor: 2pts
Heavy Armor: 3pts

Other things are purchaseable, with points. Each player starts with 20 points, and must gain points through objectives: capture vehicle, building, destroy opposing team, etc.

For instance, a sniper might have:
1898 Commisar Sniper Rifle Lv 2 (High Power Scope, Anti Personnel Rounds) 6pts
Light Armor 1pt
Satellite Recon Uplink 2pts
Radio Headset 1pt

or, if they were at the beginning of the game,
Commisar Sniper Rifle Lv1 (AP Rounds) 3pts
Light Armor 1pt
Radio Headset 1pt.

Players have little if any actual control of their units when they send them out, only of average tactics, agressiveness, and drive.

A team sent out to focus on capturing objectives with high agression and drive result in a team that would swarm an objective and slay anything that gets near it, whereas a team sent out to take out enemies with low agression and drive would wait near an objective and pick off anyone who got close, and when fired upon would leave.

For instance, let's take a three-team game.

There's an experimental mobile suit in the middle of the map loaded with only a single antivehicle rifle. There are buildings around it that could have valuable research notes, and the map is otherwise forest.

Team 1 is made up of a lightly armored sniper, two SMG users, and an assault rifle gunner. They've been made with 20 pts.

Team 2 is made up of a heavy LMG gunner, an engineer with a pistol, an SMG carrier, and an assault rifle gunner. 20pts.

Team 1 is after the main objective, are mid-agressive, and have high drive.
Team 2 is after any objectives, are low-agression, and highly driven.

--

A quick bit of the action:
Team 1 SMG gunner fires upon Team 2's engineer, who is behind cover!
Team 1 SMG gunner fires upon Team 2's enginner, who is behind cover!
Team 2's engineer is unhurt, but her cover has broken!

Team 2's heavy gunner fires back at Team 1's exposed SMG gunners!

Team 1's SMG gunner 1 has been shot dead! Team 1 SMG gunner 2 has been hit and downed!

Team 2 goes on to win by killing the other team, mainly due to being the one with the first reaction: they were not suprised by the enemy force. Suprisingly it was the engineer who got the last kill, even if it was with the suit (being the engineer, had the best ability to use the mecha, and fired at the sniper).

I would never have the patience or ability to run it though, as it's simply based on playing out the scenarios in my head.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Also.

PRINCESS KIDNAPS HERO. YOU, DRAGON, MUST SAVE HERO.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Roll to Role Reversal? I'd play it.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile

Also.

PRINCESS KIDNAPS HERO. YOU, DRAGON, MUST SAVE HERO.
THAT'S IT, When Doom blades minimalist is finished, I'm doing that, it will be good practice.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

EVIL KNIGHT KIDNAPS PET DRAGON. PRINCESS RESCUE.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

KINGDOM KIDNAPS DRAGON. EVIL PRINCESSES DEFEAT HEROES TO SAVE IT.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

HERO CAPTURES KINGDOM. DRAGON-RIDING PRINCESS MUST SAVE KINGDOM.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness

HERO DRAGON RIDING KINGDOM MUST PRINCESS SAVE KINGDOM CAPTURES
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PRINCESS KIDNAPS HERO. DRAGON WIELDING PEASANTS MUST INVADE KINGDOM TO SAVE.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DRAGON KIDNAPS PRINCESS. KNIGHT FORMS PEASENT MILITA IN REVOLT, USES EXPLOIT IN PHYSICS TO FORM 60 KM LONG PEASANT POWERED RAILGUN.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

PEASANT RAILGUN ACCIDENTALLY FIRES PRINCESS

KINGDOM RIDING DRAGON RIDING HERO MUST FIND HER

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DRAGON STAYS IN LAIR. PRINCESS ASCENDS TO QUEEN AND LIVES PEACEFULLY, MARRIES KNIGHT.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 10:42:27 pm by penguinofhonor »
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 661