Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 705483 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #645 on: June 14, 2011, 05:25:39 pm »

Humm... have to balance stats somehow...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 14, 2011, 05:34:24 pm »

Awww, oh well.

Anyway, I didn't notice any real plot in it. I had no idea you were planning for us to be mercs. You literally gave us no clear goals as far as I could tell.

Lack of GM foresight, although I thought with raiders destroying the party's hometown twice and a choice of missions that included retaliation on raiders might have been a clue that you were supposed to form a group and get some revenge, which would lead to bigger things. :-\

@SC: Mercenary companies take a lot of money to fund.

You could rewrite the firearms bonus so that it has a reliability stat, which is a stat of the weapon itself then add in relevant stats for it. so:

Heavy weaponry = STR (Due to recoil)
Small arms (Including bows): AGI/DEX

Hence the dangerous mission I just mentioned. As for the firearms, the problem wasn't the guns so much as that intelligence covered searching, creating, deconstructing, lockpicking, hacking, shooting a gun, noticing enemies, etc. Strength was just moving stuff and hitting people, Agility was hiding and moving, Endurance determined your HP and chance to shrug off some status effects, and Charisma was just for talking, haggling, and using the powers you would've gotten later on (which would be the edge against the aliens, since they wouldn't be able to retaliate at all against it).

@SeriousConcentrate Roll to dodge a song is one of those things I really like but never really got a chance to play. At least, I think it was, If I'm remembering correctly. Wasn't it where you picked a song and got your character info from that?

Yes indeed. ^^ I got to play like three turns of one before it died. :-\ I would probably rip off choobakka's nice d6 system where you make a character and then the GM hands you your equipment, one bonus, and one penalty. It's balanced, quick, and is enough for me to enjoy my character. (I have a lot of fun writing for Axolisin, the tiefling thief in Roll to Plane Jump. :3)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 14, 2011, 05:37:42 pm »

And mind you, half of us do not really have combat expertise or an IC reason to go after them or start this mercenary unit. Nothing that can't be solved with some subtle railing though.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 14, 2011, 05:39:22 pm »

Yeah, there was that too.

...I just have to ask though, are you asking me to continue by intentionally pointing out why I shouldn't? ???
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 14, 2011, 05:42:13 pm »

Wait, I'm pointing out why you shouldn't?  :-[

You could say that the guards caught one of the bandits who was drunk at the time of capture and elaborate from there.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 14, 2011, 05:44:42 pm »

Hmmm, not sure if I can write horror up very well, but I could give it a go.  Personally I think my strong suit is romance writing, but I don't think there is much of a calling for that in RTD land.  Anywho your job is to sell me on the idea and make me want to DM it more than the other guy's idea.  I'm hoping for some ideas I haven't thought of, but we'll see I suppose.
Combine the two. Yandere RTD gogogo!

Anyway, if you're looking for truly esoteric ideas, I might be able to help. I'll have to think about it some, though.
Color me intrigued, go on.
What, the Yandere RTD? :P

Spoiler: Bug RTD (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Harbingers of Doom RTD (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Demonic Invasion RTD (click to show/hide)

And now I'm too worn out to suggest Classy Villain RTD or Power Rangers RTD. Well, the names give you the gist of it anyway.

Man, I stopped bothering to count the number of new replies.

@dermonster: It's always seemed to me that it's the overly simple RTDs that die off kind of quickly. Even the ones that die from overcomplexity seem like they get a decent handful of turns in first; whereas the GM and/or players just sort of loses the will to update the simple ones, despite it being pretty easy.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 14, 2011, 05:45:50 pm »

Only one character is combat trained (Tarran), and only one other has combat experience (Dwarmin). The other four, as you said, have no combat training or motivation to do anything dangerous. I doubt one kidnapped raider would change their minds. *shrugs*

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 14, 2011, 05:46:00 pm »

And now I'm too worn out to suggest Classy Villain RTD or Power Rangers RTD.
Dibs on the guy who has the most awesome powers but only joins halfway through the story!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 14, 2011, 05:47:38 pm »

Maybe a datasphere/core?

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 14, 2011, 05:48:20 pm »

That Demonic Invasion and Harbringer RTD look exciting, although I kinda like the look of the Demonic invasion a tad more due to the fact of the wheeling and dealing fun.
Raggle Fraggle

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 14, 2011, 05:49:56 pm »

Maybe a datasphere/core?
SPAAAAACEEE!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 14, 2011, 05:51:01 pm »

@dermonster: It's always seemed to me that it's the overly simple RTDs that die off kind of quickly. Even the ones that die from overcomplexity seem like they get a decent handful of turns in first; whereas the GM and/or players just sort of loses the will to update the simple ones, despite it being pretty easy.
This. This so much.

Anyway, the second and third RTD look interesting.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 14, 2011, 05:51:49 pm »

This. This so much.
Well I'm trying to change that.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: June 14, 2011, 05:53:20 pm »

Again, it's not like I couldn't come up with something... it's more a problem that unless I Break/Corrupt/Kill The Cutie on every single character in the RTD nothing will happen regardless. Besides, I need to edit that system anyway; allowing players to be from 2-9 makes it too easy to min-max. The solution I have in mind there is to make it go from 3-7 so you always have at least a 30% chance of doing something but only a max of 80% chance with a relevant skill. The way it is now it's possible to make a character with 9 STR, a skill like Sword Expert, and never miss in melee combat.

@IronyOwl: I like the first idea. ^^

This. This so much.

And agreed. I've been in a lot of RTDs that didn't make it more than a few turns, like the aformentioned RtDaS. :-\

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 14, 2011, 05:54:41 pm »

For the Harbinger one I have simply one question.
Can I be Pestilance? The first of the four horsemen, sickness, disease, bugs, etc.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 661