Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 705318 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

RE: Surgery RTD

All of my yes, especially if it lifts the crazy superpowered surgeon concept from Trauma Center. Roll a 6, BULLET TIME STITCHING

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh God, Surgery RTD sounds amazing.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

RE: Surgery RTD

All of my yes, especially if it lifts the crazy superpowered surgeon concept from Trauma Center. Roll a 6, BULLET TIME STITCHING
OMG, why hasn't anyone thought of this sooner. Do it. If you do, link it back here please! :D

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Will it be like surgery simulator 201x?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

That's the source Greenstarfantastic mentioned in his pitch, I just mentioned absurd prowess to balance absurd clumsiness.

I'm actually trying to think of some decent mechanics for Surgery RTD. It has a lot of potential, but it wants a system where rolling a 1 makes things much more complicated and difficult for everyone, without being entirely ruled by the dice (that is, if everyone makes all the right decisions and keeps their cool, the surgery should be a success.) Tricky balancing act there.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Possibly have it so 1s add steps or cause distractions?

You're doing it right, but something happens outside or you slip or something, causing you to make a miscut. You'll have to patch that up, as well as possibly use more IVs of fairy dust or something to keep the patient stable, and you only have so many fairies?

Whereas a 6 would be a successful cut that dosen't even bleed, and a theif busts down the door looking for something but you throw a scalpel directly into his brain without even looking before he can say why the hell he's trying to rob a hospital.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile

Hm. I guess it could be interesting to have elements from both Trauma Centre and SS2013. I'm not sure how killing someone would help, especially if you have no proof that he was doing anything wrong.

Adding steps for bad rolls could easily work. Say, if you're doing a appendectomy. You're going in to create an incision to remove it, but you roll a one, and end up slipping on a puddle of blood carelessly left on the floor, slicing open part of the intestines. Now you have to repair the accidental incision, as well as get rid of the inflamed appendix.

A 6 could result in a few thing. First of all, a perfectly executed action, with bonuses, such as successfully removing the appendix, and discovering a strange bacteria on/in it. After the operation, you present this to the Head Surgeon, and he takes it off to examine it. Later on, either during an operation or while on break, he bursts into the room, announcing that the bacteria have a remarkable effect on [INSERT DISEASE] patients! In fact, it can easily help cure the disease's symptoms, if not the disease itself! He gives you a raise/option to take a free remedial course/intriguing syringe filled with a neon substance that you probably should but probably WILL inject into yourself or someone else.
Secondly, if you prefer the 'Overshoot' route, an action could be performed successfully, but another problem arises due to it. Removal of the appendix releases a strange bacteria, which quickly clings to the Large Intestine and eats through it, before disappearing. This leaves a gaping hole in the Large Intestine, which you must now fix by any means necessary.

Another component that could be added is the transition from 'Medical School Student' to 'Head Surgeon'. As time goes on, you can take courses to improve skills, buy better tools, and overall get better at your job.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

That's the source Greenstarfantastic mentioned in his pitch, I just mentioned absurd prowess to balance absurd clumsiness.

I'm actually trying to think of some decent mechanics for Surgery RTD. It has a lot of potential, but it wants a system where rolling a 1 makes things much more complicated and difficult for everyone, without being entirely ruled by the dice (that is, if everyone makes all the right decisions and keeps their cool, the surgery should be a success.) Tricky balancing act there.
It should be chaotic and frantic and awful and hilarious with 8 doctors doctoring on the same patient and probably at least three escaped lunatics deliberately trying to sabotage everything because they're the worst and even so the competents will be fumbling organs and dropping their lunch into the body cavity and stabbing each other and in the end victory would just be being able to say the guy died in a way that was sort of painful as opposed to agonising.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

I've almost got that undead game about ready to go.

The game starts with four players, this number will sometimes increase and sometimes drop. Most of the time, it will be dropping.

You start in a relatively small hydroelectric plant. You've been travelling together for a month and a half, the hydroelectric dam was a goal for a possible place to live- there's few infected in the area. (the starting players will know each other.) The time the game starts, things start breaking down- the hydroelectric dam is a couple of weeks away from complete failure, at most, and groups of infected start to appear. You've got to decide when to leave, but you can't do so immediately- one player starts randomly with a non-lethal, non-infectious injury that will take a week to finish healing.

That serves to give you time to get used to the game. The injured player can't leave, but can stay on watch- useful to the party. You also get a brief intro to how healing works.

Infected are your worst nightmare, but there's a close second in the form of marauders- humans who have taken to anarchy. There's very few if any in the area you're in, but they're also constantly moving, so who knows if they'll show up?

Bullets are scarce. Food and water are scarce. (Well, you actually get free water for as long as you stay in the dam) Supplies are in short order. You can do two things to combat this: Scavenge, which is done during the night (infected hibernate and are incapable of harming you during these hours) or moving, which allows you to pack up as much as you can and try to find a new place to live.

Combat is done on a d8 (Unless you're a Soldier, who fights with a d6- essentially, no 1s or 2s.), talking/ negotiations are a d20, and noncombat actions are either one depending on their nature (Caught in a fight without your weapons? d8 to find an improvised melee. Have to try and jump something you aren't sure if you can or not? d20.

Armor isn't complete yet, although it will be very simple and might not get it's own inventory page- each one just adds to your armor score.

If you'd like a sample fight to show you how things would go:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A player versus a Stage 0 infected isn't much of a fight. The Galil was automatic, firing 5 rounds a turn. If it was in Semi-Automatic, it would only fire the two shots- the chest hit (7), and the miss (3).

I'm going to start it up... in fact, I'm not even gonna post this yet
link
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know GUNINANRUNIN started a minimalist-esque one, but I think I might start that up after I update all of my everything.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

I know GUNINANRUNIN started a minimalist-esque one, but I think I might start that up after I update all of my everything.
Yeah its not even about surgery anymore.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile

Yeah its not even about surgery anymore.
It's about farmers, or something.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

I'd really love to see this in action >:D

Though sadly, if I go into any one of these, I'd be throwing technical words all around like it was easy.

Still, eager to watch this thread unfold. Please.

..Please?

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd really love to see this in action >:D

Though sadly, if I go into any one of these, I'd be throwing technical words all around like it was easy.

Still, eager to watch this thread unfold. Please.

..Please?
Hey, the more actual medical knowledge the less you'll fail.
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 661