Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 705286 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7335 on: November 19, 2013, 02:55:09 pm »

So, I was thinking of running an RTD that was based off Paranoia. However, I was thinking that it would be interesting to do an RTD that is focused on a subject other then violence, so I decided to mix it with a bit of Papers Please. But communism's pretty done, so I decided that a little bit of Brazil (The film, not the country) might help the mix.

You live in an incredibly paranoid, very twisted version of post 9/11 America. Except it's not really America, but the Liberty Federation. However, you don't play as the psychotic enforcers of the insane law, nor do you play as the fascistic stormtroopers of this nation. Instead, you play as a paper pusher working for the Department of Supply & Information. Your job is to handle the requests for supply/information  and obey the various objectives given by your superiors (Such as "Deny all requests for information on trains" or "Requesting assault rifles is now against the law, give the illegal stamp to all requests for them"). However, making things more complicated is two factors. One, your fellow workers are probably terrorists. In fact, you probably are as well, you dirty terrorist. Two, the system is so bloated and inefficient it's an uphill battle doing pretty much anything. This is going to be difficult.

One of the differences from Paranoia is that no-one is actually a terrorist. At least, at the start. However, as the game continues on, you will get contacted by various groups against the government. This is in a PM, so other players don't know about it. They will issue you an objective like "approve this request" or "steal this item". You can ignore it if you wish. However, if you accept it, then you get a free item on the black market. These items will actually make your job much easier. The objectives are dangerous and the mere act of acceptance treasonous, but the rewards are great.

So, what do you guys think? Think it could work? The reason I posted it here and not the idea repository (I'll post it there in a moment) is that I actually do need a few tips on the game mechanics. Should I have skills or not? Since the main things would be in paperwork and subterfuge, skills might be superfluous but they could come in handy.

I also had an idea where the players actually have to fill out the paperwork themselves. Thus, if they want to order a pistol, they're going to have to fill out the request form. Could that work or it would it be too tedious? I imagine the tedium could be avoided if the main parts of the forms were not just names and addresses, but why exactly you're ordering the item and various questions about what you're going to use it for.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7336 on: November 19, 2013, 03:03:00 pm »

You had me at Paranoia and Papers, Please.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7337 on: November 19, 2013, 03:07:36 pm »

Might work, but probably not as an RTD. The form thing would be a... unique addition. Skills could probably be a thing, but not if the players do all the forms themselves, as that would make things entirely reliant on the abilities of the real players. I suppose you could mix the two by making forms pre-marked a bit based on in game skills, but I dunno. As for non paperwork based action, skills could definitely matter.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7338 on: November 19, 2013, 03:13:33 pm »

Hm. I think I might have the skills based on outside actions, like lying to your superiors and fighting people, then. I might post this in Forum Games and Roleplaying instead, but I think it'd work as both since as a forum RP it'd have RTD elements (And as an RTD it'd have RP elements).

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7339 on: November 19, 2013, 03:26:05 pm »

So, I was thinking of running an RTD that was based off Paranoia. However, I was thinking that it would be interesting to do an RTD that is focused on a subject other then violence, so I decided to mix it with a bit of Papers Please. But communism's pretty done, so I decided that a little bit of Brazil (The film, not the country) might help the mix.

You live in an incredibly paranoid, very twisted version of post 9/11 America. Except it's not really America, but the Liberty Federation. However, you don't play as the psychotic enforcers of the insane law, nor do you play as the fascistic stormtroopers of this nation. Instead, you play as a paper pusher working for the Department of Supply & Information. Your job is to handle the requests for supply/information  and obey the various objectives given by your superiors (Such as "Deny all requests for information on trains" or "Requesting assault rifles is now against the law, give the illegal stamp to all requests for them"). However, making things more complicated is two factors. One, your fellow workers are probably terrorists. In fact, you probably are as well, you dirty terrorist. Two, the system is so bloated and inefficient it's an uphill battle doing pretty much anything. This is going to be difficult.

One of the differences from Paranoia is that no-one is actually a terrorist. At least, at the start. However, as the game continues on, you will get contacted by various groups against the government. This is in a PM, so other players don't know about it. They will issue you an objective like "approve this request" or "steal this item". You can ignore it if you wish. However, if you accept it, then you get a free item on the black market. These items will actually make your job much easier. The objectives are dangerous and the mere act of acceptance treasonous, but the rewards are great.

So, what do you guys think? Think it could work? The reason I posted it here and not the idea repository (I'll post it there in a moment) is that I actually do need a few tips on the game mechanics. Should I have skills or not? Since the main things would be in paperwork and subterfuge, skills might be superfluous but they could come in handy.

I also had an idea where the players actually have to fill out the paperwork themselves. Thus, if they want to order a pistol, they're going to have to fill out the request form. Could that work or it would it be too tedious? I imagine the tedium could be avoided if the main parts of the forms were not just names and addresses, but why exactly you're ordering the item and various questions about what you're going to use it for.
Somehow the premise of this reminds me very vaguely of a book I read recently.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7340 on: November 19, 2013, 03:27:10 pm »

What book is it?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7341 on: November 19, 2013, 04:44:10 pm »

Hey, I have an idea. Someone with more dedication than mea deaf lemming run a game of rules - lite Paranoia
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #7342 on: November 19, 2013, 04:45:21 pm »

You had me at Paranoia and Papers, Please.

Yes. Sounds good. Afraid I don't really have anything useful to add though.

Also the subject-other-than-being-violent part.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7343 on: November 19, 2013, 09:24:34 pm »

We were saying it's fair game to use in an RtD if it's an RNG, whether it's dice or not.
But... is it possible to get an RNG out of something like... Penrose Tiling? Tessellations? Various other geometric oddities?

Bah, my mind's in a weird place, not fit for brainstorming or stuff today. I've got CA on the mind.
Wait... An RtD based somehow on CA? Could that work? Maybe just a content generator based on a CA?

Hah, a loot generator to rival Looter's Delight based on Langton's Ant!... Or a related CA. One of those breeding ones. With it's rules generated by the player name and character name, and luck stat(s).

I could make that work. Maybe. Oh, that reminds me, I have to go find my player-name based character creator idea and put it on the idea collection thread.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7344 on: November 20, 2013, 03:50:17 pm »

I'm building an "endless adventure" game based entirely on the town generator, a somewhat-weak-for-right-now dungeon generator, and an unmade monster generator of mine.

Attacks are declared, then all D8s are rolled. Higher number wins, defender counters if attacker failed by 2 or more.

On a 1, roller injures self, cannot act further.
On a 2-7, normal rules apply.
An 8 is a critical success, and an attack is applied based on weapon.

I have a sort of arena version of this worked out, with tons more classes.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7345 on: November 20, 2013, 05:00:16 pm »

You should use that system for a dice based diplomancy game. Including the attacking on an 8.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7346 on: November 22, 2013, 01:17:50 pm »

OKAY, so I started that Enter the Arena as Your Avatar game I was talking about. It can be found here if anyone's interested.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7347 on: November 23, 2013, 07:58:58 pm »

I kinda want to do a mecha-style plot-driven mecha RtD.

You wind up going into the military during peacetime, there's international trouble brewing but you don't believe it will ever really come to war.

You're dead wrong. The first six months of your job are easy- you're mostly used to pilot labor frames, when not training in the more complicated stuff. However, after that half-year, enemy sides start flinging accusations, no longer even trying to stay off each other's toes- war breaks, and fast. You're called out to an advance base- not frontline, as fighting is still spotted rather than full-on.

You'll be there for a month. You get to know the people around, especially those to be shipped with you at the month's end. About three days before reassigning, you're called out to intercept some strange radar signals...

---

I say plot-driven, however, players will be allowed to make choices. There will be some railroading, between choices, but in most circumstances any choice that isn't stupidly disruptive would be valid.

Mechas would be built by a Core Model, Weapon Systems, Equipment, and Mods. Parts will be upgraded if they survive a fight, up to 12 times.

Let's say I use the basic Locust and win. I can upgrade the Core Model or one of my Weapons. I choose to modify the Locust to be able to hold more weapons and name it the Locust-AS.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7348 on: November 23, 2013, 09:06:22 pm »

A mecha-style mecha RtD?

Perish the thought. :P

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7349 on: November 25, 2013, 01:43:37 am »

Posting to watch.
Since I hate boring PTWs, I thought I'd mention an idea I'd had recently.

So, the basic premise would be epic sword duels. Each fight would be in a cinematic area (sinking ship, in front of a volcano, etc.) which would influence the battle. Fights would be focused on gaining combat advantage and then striking a finishing blow, with people being able to fight offensively or defensively.

On character creation, people would get to pick a strength (such as being good at fighting defensively) and a weakness (having a bad leg that interferes with fighting defensively). Maybe people could gain more strengths as they won fights? Also, people could gain fame for winning, especially in an epic manner.

Does this sound at all interesting to people?

Also, this is an idea I'm going to make. It's not up for grabs.
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 661