Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 677446 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #8580 on: November 17, 2014, 11:31:02 pm »

Interesting. So I clicked the mythical creature generator on PW's Auto-morphica thing.

I got a Triceratops mixed with a monkey and wildebeast.
Its a super tall miniaturized version of that, with an armored exterior.
Its infected with an alien parasite. It can't hold it's breath for more than a few seconds and can't do much strenuous activity.
It can stun foes with a blast of sound and spews hallucinogens all around, and lastly it hoards everything.

With all those hallucinogens, how do we know it's even a hybrid and not just a toxic monkey?

Edit:
Spoiler: DIS CULT (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:40:51 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #8581 on: November 18, 2014, 12:42:16 am »

The tank variation is something I would totally play.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8582 on: November 18, 2014, 01:11:46 am »

Roll to Start a Band

Players are musicians with only an instrument, an idea for a stage persona, and some talent to their names. They meet anonymously through an internet ad and set about trying to rise to greatness. First challenge is a local "Battle of the Bands" contest. Potentially leads to ridiculous adventures once the band gets some experience under their belts, such as playing against Satan/Aliens/What-Have-You.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8583 on: November 21, 2014, 12:28:23 am »

(Asking here, since it seems to be the closest thing to a general RTD thread.)

Is it considered rude to revive your own game after the 120-day limit? It's minimalist, in this case, but I want to bring it back.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8584 on: November 21, 2014, 12:38:32 am »

All minimalists must die, so I'd say yes.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8585 on: November 21, 2014, 12:40:13 am »

(Asking here, since it seems to be the closest thing to a general RTD thread.)

Is it considered rude to revive your own game after the 120-day limit? It's minimalist, in this case, but I want to bring it back.
Not at all.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8586 on: November 21, 2014, 12:55:13 am »

All minimalists must die, so I'd say yes.
Awww.
You don't really mean that, do you?
Or are you just still bitter about there aren't any more Semi-Minimalist games?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8587 on: November 21, 2014, 01:38:01 am »

Nothing wrong with reviving it.
If it was a non-minimalist there might be some hassle with tracking down your players, but other than that there's no problem.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8588 on: November 21, 2014, 01:54:51 am »

Nothing wrong with reviving it.
If it was a non-minimalist there might be some hassle with tracking down your players, but other than that there's no problem.
Already Revived.
Alan help.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8589 on: November 23, 2014, 09:37:14 pm »

Oh, hey, uhhhh so, I was kind of bored a week or so ago and I thought of an RTD, I probably won't ever run it because I would immediately quit from it but I thought it would be cool to pitch to you guys the basic intro and the story ideas:
MANDATE: Construct *Mandrake* Farm:

Well, you sure are here.
In the middle of bloody nowhere.
LUCKILY, even with this barren soil, hard as diamond dirt and blazing sun with the job of constructing some kind of farm, said farm doesn't require anything someone would associate with, well, 'farming'.

What kind of farm would this be? Well, a Mandrake farm of course! Not exactly something that is the most amazing of jobs, but it is better than being thrown in the pit of Spiders And Sharp things, which, contrary to expectations, only contains spiders! That isn't an upgrade, now that I think about it.

So let's see what we have here..
1 Little Mandrake (De-Shrieked).
1 Bottled soul.
6 Sleeping bags.
The cart itself.
2 Drums of Low-Quality Mandrake Shriek!TM
Food supplies, about enough to last a couple weeks or so.
1 Info dude.
"Yo."
All in one Mandrake Refinery.
The two Mules moving the cart.
Annnd that about encompasses it, really.
Actually, there should be 9 Bottled souls, Wild mandrakes don't have shrieks, remember? Their shrieks come from the souls they ingest.
Luckily, the souls we have are pretty low quality, so any mandrake that hit you with a full shriek with these souls in them would, at best, knock you out for a couple of days.
Still, better to know which one took it."

Dammit.
Well, better to get the introductions over with quickly, I guess, I'm Omnipotent VoiceOver N.5748593047.
"He is."
And he is Info Dude.
"I am."
Just ask him for anything you need to know, do know that sometimes there is info he won't tell you without a price.
"Tips, Hints, they do cost different things, of course, so a hint for a puzzle would cost more than a hint for... I dunno, a certain metals special attribute, for example, but background information like what 'Mandrake Shriek!TM' is will always be free.
I trade in TBit-Coins, by the way, I would tell you the exchange rate for it compared to other things but it doesn't really matter right now."

Anyway anyway, QUEST GIVEN!

Find the Shrieking Mandrake!
Reward(s):???
Unlocks:???

ANYWAY, here is what you do to join in:
Say IN IN BOLD and state a special item that you have, you can't say exactly what it is, only what category, so a pet or utility item or something, you can also add an adjective to it, so a ranged weapon or a magical pet, Finally, post an action and then I'll handle the rest, okay?
Okay.
Just a note.

Spoiler: CHARACTERS (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM NOTE (click to show/hide)

I was thinking of having the world being centred around Mandrakes and their magical properties, like, for example, Mandrake Shriek is juiced mandrake, fermented in an iron barrel (Iron because it's a known magical protectant) which has healing properties when applied to the site of injury,but with the low quality I would start you with, you would (without any chance of bad side effects occurring) at best be able to heal some bad cuts, but really well made (By that I mean many decades of fermentation) Mandrake Shriek would be able to reform dismembered limbs, and Mandrake Shriek that had been fermented for centuries would be able to revive people, like Phoenix Down.

As well as this, when drunken it would give you massively increased physical capabilities, to the point where you could cut solid steel in half.

In order to balance this, I decided there could be something I would call in game the 'Shizemen Threshold' where it would start to cause negative physical and mental mutations, caused by the body attempting to adapt to the excess energy (perhaps it could be some type of magic exclusive to mandrakes?), think Sunshine Overdrive in terms of mutation.

I also had the idea of mandrakes being able to be used for other things, like, when blended into a smooth paste, it would make an excellent cement, or when the juiced form was mixed with alcohol it would increase magic capability to incredible levels.

As well as this, if cooked and eaten as if it was a stake, then it would give players small permanent boosts to physical attributes or if juiced with sugar added to it, then it would increase mental skills the same way.

Perhaps when Mandrake is also dried and powdered it could be a powerful explosive, far more pound for pound than gunpowder, basically, Mandrakes were going to be a big part of my game world, and without them the world would still be in the fantasy age.

As Dermonster always complained about there not being enough Semi-Minimalist, while my original intention was to create a small Minimalist game, my plans quickly got out of hand so I thought of making it semi-minimalist, though with this came many more problems.

The biggest one was the idea of sending the players on an adventure through the Mandrake escaping and taking the soul with it, leading to the characters attempting to contain it, 'however', I thought, why would a world so dependant on Mandrakes leading scientific evolution not immediately know exactly what to do if it escaped? I couldn't start it off that way, it would seem far too contrived.

Perhaps I could ditch the original setting and have it so they were adventurers searching for the mandrake in some abandoned mansion or something, but that sounded far too much like my Ill fated 50 Floor Tower Of Doom! RTD I made and quickly abandoned after realising I had no way of knowing how to balance the characters to enemy threat levels, and without using a random generator for the spells or loot, I ran the real risk of overpowering the characters to the point that I couldn't pick them off to balance power levels without it feeling like a rocks fall and everyone dies scenario.

Not to mention that fact that if Mandrakes were used to power you up, how were you going to get them if you were chasing this rouge mandrake halfway around the world?
It seemed like a cool idea for a while, so if anyone wants to do anything with it, go ahead.
Alan help.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8590 on: December 05, 2014, 09:25:49 pm »

I'm seriously considering attempting to convert Mario Party to an rtd or normal forum game format. I'm unsure how to deal with minigames, because assuming if the turns can be resolved in one post(players pming actions and moving all at once would simplify things), the minigames even at their simplest would probably take up like 3/4 of the game minimum, which I can see really dragging things out. Mind making suggestions on how to make it work and add more depth? Or, convince me that this is a bad idea, I suppose. You won't need to do much convincing.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8591 on: December 05, 2014, 09:39:21 pm »

I'm seriously considering attempting to convert Mario Party to an rtd or normal forum game format. I'm unsure how to deal with minigames, because assuming if the turns can be resolved in one post(players pming actions and moving all at once would simplify things), the minigames even at their simplest would probably take up like 3/4 of the game minimum, which I can see really dragging things out. Mind making suggestions on how to make it work and add more depth? Or, convince me that this is a bad idea, I suppose. You won't need to do much convincing.
I've been meaning to make a Mafia game out of it, but can't think of how to run the minigames. The turns would be publicly handled as part of the day-phase.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8592 on: December 05, 2014, 09:51:03 pm »

Well, obviously you need to consider the games in terms of function rather than form. Of course a realtime ball-pushing event or whatever isn't going to translate to a forum game well, but you can use the essence of the thing to inspire a more appropriate mechanic.

Notably, Rock-Paper-Scissors style arrangements, weighted or not, will likely be your friends. More environmental or universal consequences help as well, so you're affecting the situation rather than just "winning" or "losing" against a given player.

For instance, take that ball-pushing game. You could just have a straight roll-off, but then it's boring because nobody can do anything but "push the ball where I want it to go." On the other hand, you could make a crude 3x3 "map," nothing fancy, give push and pull options, and figure out how the ball reacts to various pressures. So now you've got four people each trying to push the ball where they want it to go, but each one has to be thinking about what the others are doing/planning, possibly in addition to randomness from rolls. If you know somebody's going to try to push the ball straight to their goal, for instance, do you oppose him directly, or try to shove the ball from the side so he pushes straight past it and loses his Sturdy Grip buff, or "help" him push it and himself right off the edge?

Or can you trust a plan like that without knowing what everyone else is trying to do? What if he tries to push it straight to the goal, you try to stop him, and two others try to "help" him along, resulting in a brisk but not lethal pace? What if somebody comes at it from the side while you're trying to help him to his doom, resulting in a very acute angle that doesn't kill anyone?

And then of course you just do something to make sure the games don't drag; in this particular example, the arena/platform being rather small and falling off being rather easy probably helps quite a bit. Other games could have a hard time limit, like "collect as many coins as you can" style things.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8593 on: December 05, 2014, 11:48:47 pm »

You could also make things a bit more freeform, with actions like "Push somebody else off the edge" being possible, if penalized.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8594 on: December 06, 2014, 12:36:52 am »

I do intend to have a large focus on board events if I actually end up doing this. I could probably make simple maps for the mini games as well. Perhaps I could allow people to buy stat bonuses or something with their coins/dwarfbucks/whatever? Freeform actions might also likewise be a thing if I find a good way to manage it, particularly in minigames. Freeform actions on the board itself would probably function better if player turns were separate to be honest, but maybe they'd force players to forgo/modify their roll for the turn. This is all good stuff you're adding here.

Edit: Not entirely sure what to replace stars with honestly. It'd have to be something that won't be plausible to use as an item. Maybe gold bars?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 12:53:08 am by Person »
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 661