Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 666445 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #8595 on: December 06, 2014, 01:05:00 am »

Adamantine Wafers. That way players can't "Freeform Action: Bludgeon EP to death with my Gold Bars", and they're unshaped and can't be used to cut.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #8596 on: December 06, 2014, 01:43:52 am »

Adamantine Wafers do feel kinda of silly for how little cash the players will spend on them, but otherwise I agree. I suppose I could up all the numbers by a power of 10 now that I think about it. Might make pricing items easier, in addition to those rare coin mini-games where everyone wins. Big numbers are nice sometimes.

Edit: Maybe not a power of 10. That's a little too big probably. Multiplying by 5 is likely to be fairly safe though.

Edit 2: Ah hell its Mario Party. Silly is fine. The numbers don't matter.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 02:07:49 am by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8597 on: December 15, 2014, 08:25:54 am »

I am rather tempted to run something in the vein of wacky death race, but more focused on the death than the racing. I believe a roll to build death machines concept was discussed during the second thread. Still working on a whole bunch of other stuff though. Really need to finish my personal loot generator, for one(I'm maybe 60% done, and that's optimistic). Regardless, if anyone has any suggestions for how they'd like such a game to be, go ahead. I'd definitely like to keep the building stage, but make it more condensed. Probably less building stages, but more re-rolls at the end to make things generally more lethal/exciting.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8598 on: December 15, 2014, 09:51:42 am »

I would be so in on that. I've thought of creating such a game myself in the past.
As for mechanics, that's a tough question... perhaps you could take some inspiration from Monk12's old Mario Kart RTD? It had an interesting system involving different types of kart with different bonuses and shortcomings, all of which affected how they raced.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8599 on: December 15, 2014, 04:38:11 pm »

Would anyone like to play an RTD that's a combination of Neverwhere and the average DnD dungeon crawl?
The premise is that you are a Rat, a scumbag living in Paris who spelunks the underground for loot. It's a dangerous job as the underground is filled with monsters for some reason. There's been a rumor that if you go deep enough, you can find a fortress filled with sweet loot. Recently, a church's basement has an undiscovered pathway directly into the underground. Your contacts say if you go deep enough, you can find the fortress. Question is, you might not survive it.
Rules would be pretty basic. There would be a Perplexicon-style magic system based off my random generators, and a health system similar to Paranoia which would govern anything from your left arm to your sense of self-worth.
The classes would be the classic Rogue/Wizard/Warrior setup. You get equipment based on your class through a point-buy system: rogues get tools, wizards get clothes, and warriors get weapons. All the equipment at the start is fairly shit and prone to malfunction. The main focus of the game would be clearing floors of loot, trying not to die, then descending another level.
Thoughts?

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8600 on: December 15, 2014, 10:16:39 pm »

Would anyone like to play an RTD that's a combination of Neverwhere and the average DnD dungeon crawl?
The premise is that you are a Rat, a scumbag living in Paris who spelunks the underground for loot. It's a dangerous job as the underground is filled with monsters for some reason. There's been a rumor that if you go deep enough, you can find a fortress filled with sweet loot. Recently, a church's basement has an undiscovered pathway directly into the underground. Your contacts say if you go deep enough, you can find the fortress. Question is, you might not survive it.
Rules would be pretty basic. There would be a Perplexicon-style magic system based off my random generators, and a health system similar to Paranoia which would govern anything from your left arm to your sense of self-worth.
The classes would be the classic Rogue/Wizard/Warrior setup. You get equipment based on your class through a point-buy system: rogues get tools, wizards get clothes, and warriors get weapons. All the equipment at the start is fairly shit and prone to malfunction. The main focus of the game would be clearing floors of loot, trying not to die, then descending another level.
Thoughts?
I'm in.

I am rather tempted to run something in the vein of wacky death race, but more focused on the death than the racing. I believe a roll to build death machines concept was discussed during the second thread. Still working on a whole bunch of other stuff though. Really need to finish my personal loot generator, for one(I'm maybe 60% done, and that's optimistic). Regardless, if anyone has any suggestions for how they'd like such a game to be, go ahead. I'd definitely like to keep the building stage, but make it more condensed. Probably less building stages, but more re-rolls at the end to make things generally more lethal/exciting.
This too sounds fun.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8601 on: December 16, 2014, 12:01:08 pm »

While I was yesterday about fall asleep this thought popped into my mind: the fire of heart.

What kind of game could be built around the idea that fire of heart is literal thing? Reigniting the passion, warming the cold heart, burning hatred... All these phrases turned into their most literal meaning. Dead cold heart brought back into life by setting it ablaze...
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8602 on: December 16, 2014, 01:32:52 pm »

While I was yesterday about fall asleep this thought popped into my mind: the fire of heart.

What kind of game could be built around the idea that fire of heart is literal thing? Reigniting the passion, warming the cold heart, burning hatred... All these phrases turned into their most literal meaning. Dead cold heart brought back into life by setting it ablaze...
You could translate it into a kind of emotion-based magic, where there would be a scale of personalities with different degrees (maybe bonuses) of manipulation of both fire and cold.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8603 on: December 16, 2014, 04:24:26 pm »

Phlegmatic, melancholic, choleric and sanguine schools of magic (the fire of heart belonging to the latter one)? Sounds like something that's been done someplace.

Maybe just a magic system that's based on metaphors. Could be a good Munchhausen-style RTD in that idea, though more thought would probably need to be devoted to that.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8604 on: December 16, 2014, 06:02:11 pm »

Manly HEART WARRIORS roam the land, REIGNITING each other's PASSIONS with the BURNING FLAME of their RESOLVE. For a true HEART WARRIOR cannot abide a cold heart!

Ignore the girl, she's just his sister, and she's certainly not getting any.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8605 on: December 17, 2014, 12:32:22 am »

Phlegmatic, melancholic, choleric and sanguine schools of magic (the fire of heart belonging to the latter one)? Sounds like something that's been done someplace.

Maybe just a magic system that's based on metaphors. Could be a good Munchhausen-style RTD in that idea, though more thought would probably need to be devoted to that.
I like the first idea, am a little confused about what the second one would entail: would everyone have a specific metaphor ascribed to them or something?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8606 on: December 17, 2014, 06:59:07 am »

Perhaps the second idea could be based around pulling aspects from metaphors and old ideas then just fitting them into reality any way they could fit.
One application could be in a situation where a needed NPC is behind a locked door with the room slowly being filled up with gas, one person takes the Schrodingers Cat theory and puts it into play and once they turn off the gas flow, then logically, the Cat (NPC in this situation) Must be alive as if no one could see the gas, then turning it off makes it 100% certain that there wasn't any in the first place, thus, the NPC is alive. 
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8607 on: December 17, 2014, 08:20:17 pm »

Thoughts?
Sounds a bit like a board game I've played recently called Mice and Mystics. YOu might want to look it up. It's a bit different, but it could give you ideas.

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8608 on: December 19, 2014, 06:16:16 pm »

Well, this is a kinda old idea of mine, and I don't really have an intention to make another RTD soon, but I might as well post it here.
The game would be divided into rounds, the goal of each would be to win a bar fight. The genre would change with each round, and would never be the same as last round. The winner of the round could propably select the genre and some specifics for the next round (Ie. next round takes place in a post apocalyptic bar with mutants and such). Obviously, with each round, what the players could do and what NPC's would be there and so on would differ.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8609 on: December 20, 2014, 10:14:07 am »

Adamantine Wafers do feel kinda of silly for how little cash the players will spend on them, but otherwise I agree. I suppose I could up all the numbers by a power of 10 now that I think about it. Might make pricing items easier, in addition to those rare coin mini-games where everyone wins. Big numbers are nice sometimes.

Edit: Maybe not a power of 10. That's a little too big probably. Multiplying by 5 is likely to be fairly safe though.

Edit 2: Ah hell its Mario Party. Silly is fine. The numbers don't matter.

And now I'm imagining a Dwarf Fortress themed Professor Genki's Super Ethical Reality Climax.
Set up a lot like Mario Party's board, but landing on the "bad" spaces is way, way more bad, and even the good spaces can get crazy. Some events change the entire board- such as a magma cannon firing, eliminating like half the board. Player challenges usually involve mass destruction, elf-based military practice, and alcohol.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 661