Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 678527 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #8610 on: December 20, 2014, 08:11:25 pm »

Adamantine Wafers do feel kinda of silly for how little cash the players will spend on them, but otherwise I agree. I suppose I could up all the numbers by a power of 10 now that I think about it. Might make pricing items easier, in addition to those rare coin mini-games where everyone wins. Big numbers are nice sometimes.

Edit: Maybe not a power of 10. That's a little too big probably. Multiplying by 5 is likely to be fairly safe though.

Edit 2: Ah hell its Mario Party. Silly is fine. The numbers don't matter.

And now I'm imagining a Dwarf Fortress themed Professor Genki's Super Ethical Reality Climax.
Set up a lot like Mario Party's board, but landing on the "bad" spaces is way, way more bad, and even the good spaces can get crazy. Some events change the entire board- such as a magma cannon firing, eliminating like half the board. Player challenges usually involve mass destruction, elf-based military practice, and alcohol.
That actually sounds a lot funner/more entertaining/dwarfy to be honest. Good thing I haven't really made much progress on the map for the party thing. The map for the death race rtd however, IS making nice progress. Main thing I need to resolve is whether to make it a set number of laps, or a last one standing sort of thing. The former is better for adding waitlisters(between rounds), but the latter would probably be better on a single round basis. Also it'd let the game finish better. Lethality and death would probably be high either way if I do things properly. On the note of damage, I've given things a lot more health than I expected to, and damage has risen as well. This makes damage dice difficult, so I've ended up using a tf2 style thing where weapons have an average damage(assigned on a case by case basis), and it can deviate slightly either way. Just because its based on health numbers doesn't necessarily mean chunky salsa isn't a thing, however... Anyway, it should makes the question of "how likely is this thing to kill me" easier to answer. Distance probably won't be a factor though, unless some player makes a weird weapon that wants it to be. Sidenote, for some reason I've been dwelling on the semi-loophole of hovering vehicles. Pretty sure those would just count as amphibious though. Current sheet format is now as below, with gm notes sparsely placed. Yeah this is directly copy pasted from my docs.
Spoiler: Spoilered for size (click to show/hide)
As you can see, things are currently split into 2 rounds of 9, followed by a bunch of rerolls. Conditionals are fine. I'll probably be using d10 for the most part, though the various devices you mount will likely use different dice depending on quality.

I'm actually not sure what sort of responses I'm hoping for with this post, to be honest.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #8611 on: December 20, 2014, 10:36:28 pm »

I bet you weren't hoping for this response:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not sure which dice to assign to what, or if I did that right. ;)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8612 on: December 21, 2014, 12:14:53 am »

Well I'd have preferred such things be pmed I suppose, but I guess I'll stat it out. It'll be a good test of the system anyway, heh. Will edit it into this post after I get it all statted out and such. Not sure how much of that'll be usable at first glance. Good technobabble though, and that's what counts I suppose. Fluff was well beyond expectations, I'd probably give you an auto in if I run this fairly soon. So er, just to be sure, what sort of hybrid is it. I'm thinking land/air but the boat description kind of got me. Granted you CAN make it run on everything, but that does tend to have downsides. Anyway, any roll you don't use you can relabel as you please. Its perfectly fine to have more than 3 weapons for example. Any weapons that don't require manning will have a slight reduction in power due to automation though, probably should have mentioned. Perhaps I should also note that your weapons don't start loaded, so using a supply roll on ammo is recommended, or perhaps I'll change that. Maybe everyone starts with a small supply of food/ammo regardless anyway I suppose, and the rolls just give more. Then again, I suppose only the mines really use a conventional sort of ammo, so I guess you'd be fine. Yeah lets take this to private messages (side note, there's really no good way to abbreviate that is there?) if we can. I do feel like I've been sort of cluttering this thread recently.

Edit: Right, the craft makes a lot more sense after I read it through a few more times. A LOT more sense. Not posting results until you answer a couple questions. As for the free rolls, I'm rather wondering how you intend to consume less than 0 fuel, though its nice to specify in case I start rolling non-euclidean dice. That's largely unimportant though. More fuel, more speed is sensible enough. The second, however, confuses me. It doesn't seem... Beneficial in any way. Also, the course map is going to be rather... vague. There might not specifically be corners in the strictest sense, though I could extend it to similar obstacles easily enough. The expendable pilot thing is actually sort of implied believe it or not, but I can think of a few beneficial effects to attach to it. I can understand making the cockpit a weak spot, but complete invulnerability elsewhere in exchange is a bit overboard. I will certainly up the durability significantly across the board though to compensate, assuming good rolls of course.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:28:01 am by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8613 on: December 21, 2014, 12:53:10 am »

Yeah, Land/air/over-water

For using less then 0 fuel... *shrug* Somebody might be using something that alters time and space as their vehicle and operating in close proximity might cause strange things? Like the giant planet eating anti-amoeba from that one Star Trek episode.

Second concern: Obviously, in order to turn the craft fuel must be spent. In order to keep accelerating or maintaining speed, though, it's going to make turning harder or you have to consume more fuel, and I chose maximum maneuverability at the cost of extra fuel. That's why the second one that confused you; it's improved maneuverability without loss of speed, at the cost of fuel.

OK, I understand that; I guess it's not impervious to ballistics, but chemical and heat are definitely not weak points. And the cockpit being a weakpoint came about due to flavor, but makes sense from a gameplay balance standpoint too.

And I guess, since my vehicle is flashy and "simple" enough (It's basically one mechanic extended to the entire craft, a ridiculously reactive substance harnessed by venting it in different directions), there's no point in hiding how mine works; everyone who got a look at it, such as in a race, would pretty much know the information I posted. So while I understand that some other people would want to keep theirs secret by PM, I'm gonna be brash and bold and up front, no secrets for me ;)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8614 on: January 15, 2015, 12:29:19 pm »

I designed a RTD on last year. However I couldn't come up with a proper goal for players beyond survival so I figured maybe someone else wants to give it a try. Also now that I think about it, even battles might be boring after few fights.

The basic premise is to have very abnormal setting and describe it for player as completely normal human life. Here's link to the google doc describing almost everything about the game I came up with: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x0EHlr-NxERoPwz85WFYBiUEOHJ6Fi3GeuhwmLOh3CI/edit?usp=sharing
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8615 on: January 16, 2015, 05:12:49 pm »

I had a thought for a magic system for a game.

You see, the game would revolve around druids - the player characters, in this case, would be young druids sent by their deathless elders to go out and do various tasks that might be important to their lonely druid commune in the heart of the untamed woods or something of that nature.

These druids, then, would go out into the world and use their magical powers to solve problems, chief among which would be the ability to cast spells. These spells would be derived from the holy language of druidkind, revealed to them by the spirits of nature, the names for the ideal forms of each and every kind of life that may possibly exist, and by calling upon these ideal forms, the druids would then obtain terrain effects, summon the appropriate creatures, imbue themselves, their equipment or other people with abilities and more.

The names for these ideal forms, in what is the main mechanic of the game, are binomial names of real-world species of all kinds of life. Spells are cast with a certain intent (bless, curse, summon, terrain effect, mimic, that kind of thing), and then a roll is made to see how well the ideal form fulfills the intent.

Example: a druid sees someone she doesn't like one bit, some guy who looks too smug for his own good. So she maliciously curses "Heterocephalus glaber!" at him to take him down a peg. She rolls a 1-->1, and the man is not visibly altered, but has attained the ability to be immune to cancer of any sort of like an actual naked mole-rat. She feels sad that it's worked out this way, but is determined to make it work, so she yells "Condylura cristata!" at said individual, rolling a 5. This results in the man's nose suddenly sprouting twenty-two fleshy appendages, rendering it highly improbable that anyone will ever want to kiss him again in his lifetime.

See, I think the concept's sound and allows for a lot of player creativity and strongly thematic magical acts (plus a use for all that trivia about living organisms you may have accumulated over your lifetime), such as the druid in the example having a bent for subterranean mammals, but when I type them out, I realize that the Latin names sound a bit dorky much of the time, at least to me. Granted, that may not be a bad thing. I am also cautious that this may verge on edutainment if it becomes a reality. Could replace the Latin with something like "by the power of the naked mole-rat, I curse you, Random Q. Bystander!", which may, in fact, fit better with expressing intent. Opinions?

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8616 on: January 17, 2015, 01:20:11 am »

I dunno. I really wouldn't mind the edutainment, maybe even like it, if it had a purpose, and it does here. It also makes the 'magic words' actually sound like magic, so...
Yeah. I'd prefer the Latin names, honestly. Intent could maybe be part of the action, instead? And if not specified, you could always roll for what kind of spell it is first.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8617 on: January 17, 2015, 02:07:21 am »

Id play that, also edutainment naming of spells is a must because yelling out dorky things and acidentally creating an army of fungus zombies is just too good to pass up.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8618 on: January 17, 2015, 02:18:47 am »

Ohhhh, can I call upon the power of the mayfly to make people unable to eat?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8619 on: January 18, 2015, 09:58:59 pm »

Wow. That is a very good concept, with many opportunities for shenanigans. If it gets made, I'm definitely trying it. With regards to invoking magic, it works pretty well if you use both ways, ie "By the power of the naked mole rat, I curse you, Random Q. Bystander; Heterocephalus Glaber!" So you get a small monologue to focus the effect and target, then let fly with the name itself. The monologue wouldn't have to be formulaic, but perhaps the more long-winded and specific you get, the better your control would be? I suppose the trade-off would be speed of casting, if we're going to stay logical.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8620 on: January 23, 2015, 09:56:05 pm »

I want to make a crappy minimalist RTD to update on my phone (a slow, laborious process) when I'm bored, but I can't think of an idea.
Someone help me out here?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8621 on: January 23, 2015, 11:20:48 pm »

You are at one of those parties announced on Facebook that ends up getting a million guests.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8622 on: January 24, 2015, 05:12:02 pm »

So, I've been thinking of starting a new rtd. It's basically alternate history WWII, where the nazis get heavily into the occult and !!SCIENCE!!. Think the wolfenstein games, only way less in your face with the !!SCIENCE!! and with an extra dash of mythology and cthulhu sprinkled in here and there. The idea is very much to limit the weird stuff to a minimum, to both make it very dangerous and not so common as to induce apathy.

The only real problem I'm facing right now is where to actually start. Specifically, which year and which theater. I'd love to let everyone choose their own nationality/theater of war, but I can't figure out how to eventually get them together, so that might not be such a good idea.

Suggestions? 

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8623 on: January 24, 2015, 05:19:00 pm »

So, I've been thinking of starting a new rtd. It's basically alternate history WWII, where the nazis get heavily into the occult and !!SCIENCE!!. Think the wolfenstein games, only way less in your face with the !!SCIENCE!! and with an extra dash of mythology and cthulhu sprinkled in here and there. The idea is very much to limit the weird stuff to a minimum, to both make it very dangerous and not so common as to induce apathy.

The only real problem I'm facing right now is where to actually start. Specifically, which year and which theater. I'd love to let everyone choose their own nationality/theater of war, but I can't figure out how to eventually get them together, so that might not be such a good idea.

Suggestions? 

Well, as far as I'm aware you're from Europe yourself, so pick the spot you happen to know best in Europe and the most interesting part of occult WWII you think could happen in that part, for maximum authenticity and whatnot (and also because you're likely to have the best grasp of local history, customs and naming customs in that area for referential and authenticity purposes).

Failing that, Spain? Get all Pan's Labyrinth plus Cthulhu Mythos up in this business?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:20:33 pm by Harry Baldman »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8624 on: January 24, 2015, 05:36:51 pm »

-snip-

Might not be a bad idea. But, honestly, nobody gives a shit about Belgium. France might be decent though, lots of weird stuff going on there. hmmm. 
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 661