Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 677901 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #8655 on: February 28, 2015, 05:22:32 pm »

I'm looking for two test subjects to test balance of my planned RTD. Despite of convenient even number it's not PvP, not by default.
I'll play.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile

I'm looking for two test subjects to test balance of my planned RTD. Despite of convenient even number it's not PvP, not by default.
I'll play.
Thanks, PM sent.

Anybody else? Setting is mid-low fantasy in modern world.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

Sign me up!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Need some critique on a mechanic for random enemy encounters in a dungeon crawl RTD.
I've always had a bit of trouble incorporating stealth into roleplays. Based off Alien Isolation's use of audio (Fighting in that game attracts the Alien), I came up with an idea.
Whenever the players are in a dungeon, there is a number called Tension. Whenever the players do something loud or get a 1 trying to do something quietly, Tension goes up, which attracts more difficult monsters to them. This means that when I roll for a random enemy encounter, I choose the table that matches the current Tension meter. The tables matching to higher Tension would have it be more likely that a hard monster shows up and less likely that an easy one shows up.
This would probably trap the players in a situation where they accidentally attracted enemies by screwing up a roll, loudly and quickly deal with them, then attract something even worse in the process. That fits the mood of the RTD I'm planning.
What do you guys think?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Need some critique on a mechanic for random enemy encounters in a dungeon crawl RTD.
I've always had a bit of trouble incorporating stealth into roleplays. Based off Alien Isolation's use of audio (Fighting in that game attracts the Alien), I came up with an idea.
Whenever the players are in a dungeon, there is a number called Tension. Whenever the players do something loud or get a 1 trying to do something quietly, Tension goes up, which attracts more difficult monsters to them. This means that when I roll for a random enemy encounter, I choose the table that matches the current Tension meter. The tables matching to higher Tension would have it be more likely that a hard monster shows up and less likely that an easy one shows up.
This would probably trap the players in a situation where they accidentally attracted enemies by screwing up a roll, loudly and quickly deal with them, then attract something even worse in the process. That fits the mood of the RTD I'm planning.
What do you guys think?

Infinite loop of increasingly hard monsters? First room TPK?

But an interesting concept nevertheless. Could potentially work, though it'd be cool if high Tension could also cause something uniquely good to happen (this being a slim chance, mind you). Like a helpful NPC being attracted to the commotion or some such.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What do you guys think?
So, how would the players get rid of monsters?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Ninja assassination, I would presume. Or running like cowards.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Well, taking another cue from survival horror games, an option could be to have players hide/flee. This would obviously be over in less then a turn to prevent a mutual boredom between the players and GM having to roleplay hiding in a vent, but it means that any tension gains afterward are multiplied. So before the monsters were alerted, knocking over some cans would only attract low-level monsters but afterward they're investigating any sound they hear. Meaning that you're likely to get some mid-level ones and even a high-level boss if you're unlucky. That gets the tension of hiding without any of the actual tedium.

Another thing is that Tension could be good if you actually want a confrontation with a high-level monster, E.G you're powerful enough to kill it or you're playing 'enemy of my enemy' by siccing it on foes you know they'll prioritize over you.

Ninja assassination, I would presume. Or running like cowards.
Well, murder is an option for the low-levels, but that attracts mid-levels which are pretty much minibosses, and they attract high-levels which are... Let's use Alien Isolation as a metaphor. The low-levels are facehuggers (Just smash them or flame them, they're only a problem if you're distracted), mid-levels are Working Joes (Trouble to deal with and hard to get rid of quickly), and the high-level is the Alien (Hide or scare it away with the flamethrower, don't even think about trying to kill the damn thing unless you have a really smart idea).

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That sounds like a very interesting game mechanic.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Sign me up. There aren't enough horror FGs.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

First room TPK?

Tremendous. I would like to play this.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When it comes to the random encounter idea, somehow it seems prudent to mention the ai director in Left for Dead. Mostly for inspiration purposes. The director generally only ups the difficulty if the players are having an easy time though.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Promise self to design simple mechanics system.

Comes back with 6 base attributes, 15 derived attributes.

Conclusion: I am contractually incapable of making something straightforwards.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No offense, but from what I've seen you do that sounds fairly simple :P

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had the same problem with my new RTD. The base concept was buying upgrades using points and using them in the arena and it grew pretty much immediately after I introduced stats.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 661