Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 675535 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Nice post monk. Don't suppose anyone has a link to the discussion of what a good OP is?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Of course it is done. Everything I think of is either done or is already in progress. I'm unoriginal like that. Do you have a link or helpful keywords for search?

On second thought, that might have been a while ago, or I'm confusing it with one of the minimalist games that develops mechanics over time, like Roll to Level Up or something of that nature.

It's still a hell of a mixed message, though. It could be a lot of effort on your part, but it all amounts to zero visible effort and no real motivation to play in the game.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

I think you would either need to be an established GM where players want to play in your game - trust you'll do something good and know roughly what to expect - or you'll have to put up with players doing silly stuff / rein players in with a strong firm hand.

((edit - sorry - in answer to the "game with nothing at the start" question))

((edit 2 - sorry monk, I fully admit that was me being lazy on my phone earlier))
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:21:59 pm by lawastooshort »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Nice post monk. Don't suppose anyone has a link to the discussion of what a good OP is?

*search bar fu*

Ah, here's the conversation I was thinking of. I'm pretty sure we've talked about it a bunch though, but that's the one I remember.

Of course it is done. Everything I think of is either done or is already in progress. I'm unoriginal like that. Do you have a link or helpful keywords for search?

On second thought, that might have been a while ago, or I'm confusing it with one of the minimalist games that develops mechanics over time, like Roll to Level Up or something of that nature.

It's still a hell of a mixed message, though. It could be a lot of effort on your part, but it all amounts to zero visible effort and no real motivation to play in the game.

Indeed, it's not that it can't be done (and could well be amazing if done just right) but it would be really tricky to do. Think of it like an oldschool adventure game where core gameplay mechanics get introduced via puzzles that require them to advance; players learn to look around and interact with items because there's a locked door and the key is in the mailbox or something, which teaches them to look in things when they hit harder puzzles later. In this case, we have a very meta "look for the rules" mechanic which could be hard to get across without explicitly telling the players to do (and if you tell them, hell, that's half the fun gone already!) Basically you need a starting mechanic which lends itself to discovering the other mechanics without giving the gig away, I think.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Moreover, it's the GM's job to create things while it's the players job to interact with and change. If players wanted to create they'd be GMing - not playing.
Going by your analogy, it would certainly be the job of the players to carve and shape the material the GM sets for them as they see fit within boundaries, but it is not their job to add in new material just in an attempt to match what the GM has given.

To match it? Of course not, but to integrate with it, to expand it and perhaps even refine it? Absolutely.

I have to say, I've already become a fan of not having bios in character sheets for my games, or at least very short ones if I do. A bio is essentially a very unsubtle prompt for the player to explain who their character is, and who it most appeals to is people who like to create elaborate stories all on their own, even if they're mostly completely irrelevant to gameplay and even the plot in general. I like filling out character sheets with bios specifically because I get to write a story in them, and further gameplay doesn't quite factor into any part of it. It's why the 'deeper and more thought-out' games appeal to me despite the fact that the vastly overwhelming majority of them never go anywhere before dying off quietly. Writing the character sheet captures the exciting feeling of starting to write a cool story you had in mind (or, rather, what could be the beginning of a cool story you have in mind), and the guilt of inevitably failing to finish it when your enthusiasm peters out falls on the GM.

I am very guilty of this. Particularly when something else I'm building is in its death throes need a cookie. Which is the storytelling equivalent of binge eating chocolate cake because you wrecked your car, not healthy or particularly helpful. I always love bios, of any kind, but I'm becoming more and more enamored of the short and sweet ambiguous bios that I practically proposed marriage to a couple posts ago. I understand their dangers, but I think they are invaluable as an anchor for a character and as a guide for the DM.

-snip-
This. Honestly, I'd much rather find out about the character as the game progresses. Otherwise it's often just a wall of text contest, with the people putting the most syllables on paper getting in.

I believe that what we have here is a failure to communicate... Wall of text character entrees are, generally, bad. Elysium is the only game I know of that, for as long as it ran, that ran well with characters that had long bios. The thing in that game was that everyone had a decent amount of freedom to create their own little niche, and then everyone played their characters to the hilt.

In general, bios longer than a paragraph, maybe two, bad news. For an example of the worst bio of my career in writing bios, which I still grit my teeth over a little when I think of, look up the old Thawed game that GWG ran. The character I put in is a godawful piece of purple prose that has a tragic backstory that feels like it's trying to enter a competition for saddest life against a dozen Darfur war orphans.

This is a recent bio of the kind I've taken to liking,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
3-4 sentences, depending on how you count quotes. In combination with the names for his skills, the general picture of the character is pretty obvious. It's short, has a few decent hooks that could be used for a lot of different situations, and it demands very little of the world. Heck, the bio of one of the best characters I've had in my games, bar none, was two short sentences of bio, and six Hemingway sentences of physical description. It might have taken up three lines when put together.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Also did anyone actually have anything to say on that example I wrote? I mean, it's not going to be anything probably, but it's my own little mental pet project and it's nice to hear feedback on my quality of writing in any case.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Also did anyone actually have anything to say on that example I wrote? I mean, it's not going to be anything probably, but it's my own little mental pet project and it's nice to hear feedback on my quality of writing in any case.

You know how I feel about it. It's pretty, well made, and has a good hook. However, without the rest of the world behind it, it feels like its trying to be catchy rather than deep. Which may be your intention.

Also, since I didn't do it earlier, I would like to take this opportunity to salute the Monk. Fine explication there.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Writing's good - it's to the point and with relatively little filler, just like a creation myth should have. Unintelligible bits provoke my interest.

The colors seem a little off, though. Not sure if that's because I'm using the forum default mode, though I guess in Darkling it'd be Water, Unintelligible and Earth instead of Air, Unintelligible and Lightning that are kind of hard on the eyes. Might also not want to go the rainbow title route, even if it is conceptually appropriate, on account of the colors being a little more off when all put together.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually on Darkling everything except maybe water is pretty well defined in the background.

Use Darkling Harry~ Join us~
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looked at it on Darkling, and you're quite correct that it looks better there. However, "Elements" still looks kind of off, so the point about rainbow titles remains. Maybe keep that white. Combination of all colors, you know?

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The default board colors can be hard on the eyes, especially at night, but Darkling looks like a cross between the website for an Anti-Illumanti Watchdog organization and a hardcore fetish meeting board that hasn't been updated since 2002. But to each their own, right?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Generic RPG
Can you give me a link to this? The forum search bar is the highest grade of retarded when it comes to searching for topics and I can't find it using google either. I found Arcanum Octet, though, which was the other RTD you mentioned that I was interested in.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't even have a link, I just remember that it was a game where I played a mercenary Necromancer who had just set off with an elf to plunder a lost city for something.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dryads are born in pods from the great tree. The times they open at are random, but depending on which time of the day they open. The personality of the dryad is influenced.

A. At night, the dryad is more secretive and mysterious in nature, hard to approach but once you get to know them they are very caring.

B. At day, the dryad is more curious, headstrong and bold. Their thirst for adventure and exploring is never ending, as companions they will never let you down.

C. At dawn, the dryad is more understanding and friendly. They are naturals at conversing with the other races and make for excellent diplomats.

D. At dusk, the dryad is more intellectually gifted. Preferring puzzles or studies over physical activities. They teach the young dryads or become skilled artisans.

Dryads physically age to an adult state in 14 years and then cease to age until the moment they die. They live up to 700 years. Dryads physiologically mature at the age of 40. Dryads emerge from pods as young teens, both physically and psychologically.

Dryads are unusually durable and heal faster compared to some other races, they are also able to communicate with animals and animals do not attack dryads or the companions the dryad is travelling with unless provoked.

Their direct connection with Gaeia grants dryads journeyman nature magic control

A snip from something I'm working on.
I was wondering if giving any bonuses to the time a dryad is born, would hamper the players too much in creating their own character and force them to min-max their character instead. See the underlined pieces.

How do you guys feel, if you would be making an character and depending on the star-sign or w/e you'd get some extra stat/skill or effect.
Durrr..

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's essentially a subrace choice. Like all the different varieties of elf.

Might want to replace all the ares with tend to bes, though, unless dryads are supposed to be like ants or something.
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 661